ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010-63/)
-   -   '06 SC430 28k mi (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/863809-06-sc430-28k-mi.html)

jeffgwaltney 07-30-17 06:52 PM

'06 SC430 28k mi

black/black excellent condition traded in at local Porsche dealer - believe it or not verifiable 1 owner 28,200 mi - sonic dealer so it's a no haggle price - lowered fr $23,999 to $22,900 - if dealer doesn't sell in next 2 was they ship to another sonic dealer mark it back up and start over again

good price? Thoughts or suggestions? I can't find a 1-owner that low miles '06+ like this anywhere within 500 mi or even nationwide that's not >$26k

FYI - I Have '99 ls400 perfect just turned 100k mi that id prob sell, as don't need 3 vehicles and wife has Highlander for the "space needs" vehicle

rpjense 07-30-17 07:14 PM

Sounds like a great deal to me? Maybe ask for a timing belt change if it hasn't been done yet?

Chaditotx 07-30-17 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by rpjense (Post 9940309)
Sounds like a great deal to me? Maybe ask for a timing belt change if it hasn't been done yet?

Exactly.. it's due. I'd do coolant AND transmission fluid as well regardless. Hopefully there is some maintenance history.

jeffgwaltney 07-30-17 07:26 PM

Since it's a Porsche dealer they won't entertain timing belt change. They did do a thorough inspection on brakes, rotors, etc the normal trade in oil change and put a new antenna mast on etc

but pretty sure would. It do the 90k service of timing belt/water pump etc - have a local Lexpro who would do prob for $1200 (he did same back in 2015 for my 99 LS400 that just turned 100k miles last month incl idler bearings etc for about $900) -

guess i I could try to reduce ask from $23k to $21.5 but doubtful as again Sonic "corporation" dealers do fixed pricing then after 60 days just ship to another Sonic dealer mark back up a few thousand then start all over again for another 60 days

Chaditotx 07-30-17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeffgwaltney (Post 9940318)
Since it's a Porsche dealer they won't entertain timing belt change. They did do a thorough inspection on brakes, rotors, etc the normal trade in oil change and put a new antenna mast on etc

but pretty sure would. It do the 90k service of timing belt/water pump etc - have a local Lexpro who would do prob for $1200 (he did same back in 2015 for my 99 LS400 that just turned 100k miles last month incl idler bearings etc for about $900) -

guess i I could try to reduce ask from $23k to $21.5 but doubtful as again Sonic "corporation" dealers do fixed pricing then after 60 days just ship to another Sonic dealer mark back up a few thousand then start all over again for another 60 days

We were able to get our local Toyota dealer to do our timing belt, water pump etc. They came in about $300 less than the Lexus dealer. Apparently the Lexus dealer had better coffee and offers free massages. That sounds like a good price on the belt change. The price I feel is a tad bit high on the SC, and I agree dealers are frustrating. If it is what you want? That is what matters. It's hard to find good used autos at that vintage, and compounding the issue is the rarity of the SC430. Being able to see it in person and not having to ship it is a blessing. I recently purchased a 2012 Toyota Yaris 5dr SE model 5 speed for my commuter (100mi a day). I paid a little more than I'd liked to. It was the only 5speed SE model 5 door hatch I could find in the US, and it was local. After the Yaris, getting in to the SC430 feels like I won the lotto.

JTho 07-30-17 07:49 PM

Sounds like it might be your next car! Take it to your mechanic and have him put it on a hoist and check it out.
I did when I bought my 09 w/ low miles, and was I ever glad.
Found a couple things that needed addressing, and talked down the car price to allow for them.
If I hadn't, I'd be out of pocket. Good luck!! So nice when it's local and you can test drive and take it to your trusted mechanic!

JohnnyCake 07-30-17 08:55 PM

That is a find! My '06 has 150K miles. The 2006 is a good year because the model had a refresh and not only got new tail lights and other visual cues, but also added some technology not previously offered. I've thought of trading down in miles (looking for one with 28K -- lol) because there is still no car in the SC's category (very small, smooth luxo-cruiser, convertible).

lexixel 07-31-17 02:30 AM

Great if you like the color.

Jabberwock 07-31-17 05:12 AM

I agree it looks like a great find if the black/black color works for you. Great looking car but down South where I live it would be a rolling easy bake oven. If the car is truly mint inside and out then the premium price is in line with the condition and miles.

mrblister 07-31-17 08:03 AM

Black and black is not a color its is an occupation you will be washing and waxing all the time . Trust me I know first hand
I still love the color

kevin3344 07-31-17 08:18 AM

Great looking car but down South where I live it would be a rolling easy bake oven.
I have silver ext/black int and yes it is hot when it's warm out lol! I'm in Raleigh, NC. But love the car. I was looking for saddle or black interior (they both seem to wear well).

All I can say is if you like it, don't wait - 2006 SC430s are getting harder and harder to find.

jeffgwaltney 07-31-17 02:21 PM

Thx everyone. Planning to call dealer and take to my Lexpro mechanic - he charges $50 for very thorough pre inspection - said he'd do the Timing belt only (unless any leak indication or idler bearing issue he doesn't arbitrarily change a good water pump; unlike lexus "dealers")

if all checks out prob will offer dealer $21 cash - hoping to at least get them down fr $22.9 to $22

aporeciate everyone's thoughts and advice

yes black/black may be high maintenance (my 99 ls400 w only 100k mi is black/tan) but when a local 1-owner trade to Porsche dealer and spotless w all maint checked out by local Lex dealer when the owner bought it, have to be flexible on a sc430 color - and does look great when clean!

Bgw70 07-31-17 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jeffgwaltney (Post 9941180)
Thx everyone. Planning to call dealer and take to my Lexpro mechanic - he charges $50 for very thorough pre inspection - said he'd do the Timing belt only (unless any leak indication or idler bearing issue he doesn't arbitrarily change a good water pump; unlike lexus "dealers")

if all checks out prob will offer dealer $21 cash - hoping to at least get them down fr $22.9 to $22

aporeciate everyone's thoughts and advice

yes black/black may be high maintenance (my 99 ls400 w only 100k mi is black/tan) but when a local 1-owner trade to Porsche dealer and spotless w all maint checked out by local Lex dealer when the owner bought it, have to be flexible on a sc430 color - and does look great when clean!

think about the TB WP like this, change the belt only then 10k miles later the WP leaks or the tensioner pulley bearing goes bad...guess what, you just paid the labor for another one...Just purchase the Aisin kit and replace all of the parts. Piece of mind goes a long way on an interference engine.

enjoy your new ride! ;-)

1trkpny 08-01-17 08:25 AM

I totally agree. Change it all, there is very little additional labor to do it at the same time. And you might save yourself a bit of a headache later.

JohnnyCake 08-01-17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrblister (Post 9940698)
black and black is not a color its is an occupation you will be washing and waxing all the time . Trust me i know first hand
i still love the color

lol!