Uneven height after installing Megan coilover

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 12:08 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Question Uneven height after installing Megan coilover

Hey guys,
My 02 passenger side is about 1 inch higher when I measure from floor to fender for front and rear tires.
The following was replaced in the past few months (I had to stop for several weeks while in the middle of it due to my hand injury, but that's another story.):
Stock shocks to Megan EZ coilovers
Passenger side upper control arm - ball joint is bad
Outer tie rod both sides - boots were ripped
Passenger side rear alignment bolt and nut - missing the nut, replaced both

I made sure that the coilovers were all same height left to right, so I do not think this is the problem. I have re-checked my work, everything is tight. Did I cause this problem because the car was in jack stand for several weeks?

Car has not been have alignment. I am planning to do this as soon as I fix the height problem, but maybe it need alignment to fix the height? I drove the car around the block a few time thinking that the suspension might settle, but it is still uneven.

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-17-17, 04:42 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

On the passenger side, did you clock the bushes when you replace those bits?
Old 07-17-17, 05:24 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coleroad
On the passenger side, did you clock the bushes when you replace those bits?
No I did not clock the bushings. Which bushing do you think would cause this? I had to disconnect the front sway bar, hmm... wonder if this is the cause of the problem.
Old 07-17-17, 06:28 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
No I did not clock the bushings. Which bushing do you think would cause this? I had to disconnect the front sway bar, hmm... wonder if this is the cause of the problem.
any control arm bushes that you loosened, need to be clocked. Otherwise they are twisted and act like a spring. This can also rip them. You don't have to worry about the sway bar bushes, as the bar twists freely in them.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (07-17-17)
Old 07-17-17, 04:20 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Coleroad
any control arm bushes that you loosened, need to be clocked. Otherwise they are twisted and act like a spring. This can also rip them. You don't have to worry about the sway bar bushes, as the bar twists freely in them.
Thanks @Coleroad. I will clocked the front upper control arm and hopefully that fix the problem.
The following users liked this post:
1trkpny (07-23-17)
Old 07-31-17, 04:55 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by BCT
Thanks @Coleroad. I will clocked the front upper control arm and hopefully that fix the problem.
I loosen the bolts for the front upper control arm, and tighten it back up in the normal height - supported by jack. It is still higher on the passenger side with the new control arm. Maybe I need to replace the driver side control arm too? Or unbolt everything, the control arm, the shocks, and start over?

I also loosen up the bolts in the rears, and tighten them back with the wheels on the ground.

I am not sure what else to do, except have the car alligned, and hopefully it fix the height? I am thinking allignment would not address the height though. Does anyone know what is height from middle of the wheel to the fender for both front and back in stock?

Appreciate any thoughts!
Old 08-01-17, 07:02 AM
ned1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the same Megan coilover as you last week. I noticed that especially the rear hight
seemed to wander I could place 1finger betweentopoftire and fender on one side and 3 fingers on the other . Seemed to depend. on how the cars suspension was moved just prior to stoping? This hight would adjust and seem to be from entering driveway at an angle, gas station hump ect
It seems to have settled (I needed to adjust and raise rear 2x to full Megan extension,
Im rubbing the rear tires now and then with a setup others claim to be using without problems?
Old 08-01-17, 10:46 AM
BCT
Advanced

@ned1
Did you lower your Megan coilover vs stock? I lowered mine about .5 inch. Have you had the car alligned?

Mine has been constant, the driver side is 1 inch lower in the front and rear. Mine has been installed for several weeks now, and it has not changed/settled.