SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Could a fuse cause the top problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 09:46 PM
kimchi604
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a fuse cause the top problems?

Okay so Ive been reading thru the threads about the top. Seems like it could be anything but here's my story.

I recently had my car battery die. Had BCAA come by and change out the battery. I checked the battery and it is the right one for the car.

So I drive the car for a couple weeks and then I try to drop the top and it works. When I tried to pull it back up the roof closes but the trunk wont come down. Here's the funny part though.
Few days later I tried again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and the top closed with trunk down. So I was happy. Then 2 days after I put the top down and it happens again so I unhooked the battery and this time it didn't work. Now it closed again after a short driving period.
So I don't get whats happening. I don't think mechanically theres anything wrong if the motors work sometime, and it doesn't seem like its having a hard time going up and down when it does work. but its always the trunk part failing to come down when it doesn't work.

My trunk shocks does not work either, but its been like that for 5 years so I don't believe this is the issue.

Did anyone else have this problem and was a fuse issue? My next guess is there but I do not have the diagnostic tool to check so I was going to go buy some fuses and just see what happens if I replace em.
Old 06-01-17, 03:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by kimchi604
Okay so Ive been reading thru the threads about the top. Seems like it could be anything but here's my story.

I recently had my car battery die. Had BCAA come by and change out the battery. I checked the battery and it is the right one for the car.

So I drive the car for a couple weeks and then I try to drop the top and it works. When I tried to pull it back up the roof closes but the trunk wont come down. Here's the funny part though.
Few days later I tried again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and the top closed with trunk down. So I was happy. Then 2 days after I put the top down and it happens again so I unhooked the battery and this time it didn't work. Now it closed again after a short driving period.
So I don't get whats happening. I don't think mechanically theres anything wrong if the motors work sometime, and it doesn't seem like its having a hard time going up and down when it does work. but its always the trunk part failing to come down when it doesn't work.

My trunk shocks does not work either, but its been like that for 5 years so I don't believe this is the issue.

Did anyone else have this problem and was a fuse issue? My next guess is there but I do not have the diagnostic tool to check so I was going to go buy some fuses and just see what happens if I replace em.
sounds like a micro switch or one of the very small motors.
the roof is very complex.
Old 06-01-17, 10:04 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by kimchi604
Few days later I tried again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and the top closed with trunk down. Then 2 days after I put the top down and it happens again so I unhooked the battery and this time it didn't work. Now it closed again after a short driving period.

Did anyone else have this problem and was a fuse issue?
If your problem was a fuse, your top would never work, so you can rule out a fuse.

Most likely one of the switches or motors is having a problem. When you disconnect the battery, you are resetting the top's computer/ecu. This causes the computer to figure out what position all the parts are in and starts the lowering or raising all over again.

Top failures tend to start out intermittently and then give out altogether (just like most car problems, you see symptoms and then the part breaks)

If you have lots of time and want to invest a little money into the Lexus software we can help you diagnose the problem.

Otherwise a good independent Lexus mechanic or the dealer is your best bet.