SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC not starting Battery or Starter or?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 09:20 AM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC not starting Battery or Starter or?

2002 SC430
Lexus Battery dealer installed
84 mo warranty
Sticker says 10/15 assuming means replaced October 2015

Hey guys. Noticed the other day the start was a sower crank than usual. Threw the charger on it amd it cranked normally. Drove it for an hour non stop, and parked, and placed it on charger since I had it out already.
Try it 48 hrs later and now NO crank even. Lights come on when the key is in position 2, but when I crank, the lights dim and nothing happens. No whirr or click.
Any ideas?

Old 05-30-17, 09:44 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Head over to AutoZone and get your battery / charging system checked. It's possible that a battery could go bad in a couple years, but more than likely it's not being charged properly (or driven enough).

Edited to add: also be sure your battery terminals are tight.
Old 05-30-17, 10:48 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinla
2002 SC430
Lexus Battery dealer installed
84 mo warranty
Sticker says 10/15 assuming means replaced October 2015

Hey guys. Noticed the other day the start was a sower crank than usual. Threw the charger on it amd it cranked normally. Drove it for an hour non stop, and parked, and placed it on charger since I had it out already.
Try it 48 hrs later and now NO crank even. Lights come on when the key is in position 2, but when I crank, the lights dim and nothing happens. No whirr or click.
Any ideas?
the purple date sticker is when it was produced...it sounds like you need a new Battery and I would guess Lexus will give you a new battery.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-30-17 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 01:02 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
the purple date sticker is when it was produced...it sounds like you need a new Battery and I would guess Lexus will give you a new battery.
is that (Lexus) a 'true' replacement warranty? at Costco they refund the price paid and buy new at current (higher) price.....
Old 05-30-17, 02:09 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I would also check the alternator first. Go to youtube and find process to check the alternator voltages. Quite often when alternator is weak the battery doesn't get charged fully and it drains quicker. After some cycles you end up having a bad battery too.
Old 05-30-17, 04:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
is that (Lexus) a 'true' replacement warranty? at Costco they refund the price paid and buy new at current (higher) price.....
according to this link, the 84mo Lexus battery has a two year replacement warranty...very odd that Costco would charge you more during the free replacement period of the warranty. I have never heard of such a thing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-warranty.html
Old 05-30-17, 06:46 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Most likely the battery is bad. Have it and charging system checked. Hopefully your battery is bad and it can be replaced under the full warranty. Prorated warranties on the other hand are generally worthless or at very best will give you back the premium $ you paid in the price to get the extended warranty.
Old 05-30-17, 07:17 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
according to this link, the 84mo Lexus battery has a two year replacement warranty...very odd that Costco would charge you more during the free replacement period of the warranty. I have never heard of such a thing.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-warranty.html
Batteries come with replacement warranty but Costco treats the 'replacement warranty' as 'return policy' I questioned, but got the usual dumb look..... I found better deal at Pepboys
Old 06-04-17, 08:04 AM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Default Diagnosis: bad battery. Failed load test when I took it to dealer

Yep ju

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Most likely the battery is bad. Have it and charging system checked. Hopefully your battery is bad and it can be replaced under the full warranty. Prorated warranties on the other hand are generally worthless or at very best will give you back the premium $ you paid in the price to get the extended warranty.

Yep, just a bad battery. Replaced April 2016 but still failed load test. Replaced free, no charge. 24mo 100% coverage starts from now , which is great. FYI, the lexus badged batteries now are Interstates according to Svc Mgr .
Old 06-04-17, 10:41 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinla
Yep ju

Yep, just a bad battery. Replaced April 2016 but still failed load test. Replaced free, no charge. 24mo 100% coverage starts from now , which is great. FYI, the lexus badged batteries now are Interstates according to Svc Mgr .
......so will the replacement battery be 24 months 100% free also, from the day you got it ?.......the reason I'm asking, I replaced a battery a few years ago, under full warranty. The replacement battery went bad about 18 months later, but they wouldn't replace it (the replacement) under the warranty, although it was within the warranty time of a battery purchased new. I was told it only covers the original battery, but not the replacement
Old 06-04-17, 11:37 AM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
......so will the replacement battery be 24 months 100% free also, from the day you got it ?.......the reason I'm asking, I replaced a battery a few years ago, under full warranty. The replacement battery went bad about 18 months later, but they wouldn't replace it (the replacement) under the warranty, although it was within the warranty time of a battery purchased new. I was told it only covers the original battery, but not the replacement
It was replaced under warranty because it was within 24 months clean and clear zero dollars spent other than time and hassle.
Old 06-04-17, 02:07 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I have heard that....some managers feel customers are abusing the warranty policy. If the warranty is printed on the replacement battery (label), its a product warranty, The new battery carries its own warranty, manager must honor it. I know some one who was charged, paid by Visa he also took a pic of the old battery and next day he called to reverse the charge or he would dispute it with Visa. Credit card CS needs (1) proof of warranty and (2) proof of return to reverse the charge, this is the Visa policy to protect the consumers from questionable merchants and their managers. (I am not suggesting)
Old 06-04-17, 09:12 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...it's probably too late for me now, since it's been some months when this issue happened. I will usually take my fight to a higher authority, but just gave in & paid for the replacement battery.....
Old 06-05-17, 05:12 AM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a battery. Limited usage can be a killer for batteries, though I am not sure this is your case. What brought that to mind are reported mileages for a cat like the SC430. As an ex service manager I saw tons of battery failures. When I was at Peterbilt, I saw few. That's because those trucks constantly ran and charged.... Most all had at least 4 batteries too due to the size of the motors. You wpuld think 4x failures but not so. The most batteries I saw fail was at Harley Davidson. It was so bad the factory was constantly hounding dealerships on the warranry situation for batteries. People would buy the bikes, and not ride them for 6 months, and turn around and try to warranty the batteries when they wouldn't hold a charge. The answer was trickle chargers, and we started installing them as a matter of course on new motorcycles.
Be wary of voltage readings when testing either batteries or alternators while they are in the car. I have seen both have acceptable voltage, but not have sufficient amperage to do the job.
Old 06-05-17, 10:24 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

You REALLY REALLY want it to be a battery problem. Replacing the starter in an SC is a complicated and expensive job
The following users liked this post:
Chaditotx (06-05-17)

Quick Reply: SC not starting Battery or Starter or?