Notices
SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

So sad

Old 05-10-17, 06:17 AM
OBP
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default So sad

Hearing via a Washington Post report that the wife of an ESPN broadcaster was killed in an accident in CT when her 2003 SC430 collided with a Ford Escape and overturned. So sad, RIP. I just drove through that area of CT last week
Old 05-10-17, 06:54 AM
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I just read it. Was ESPN Chris Bermans wife. Really a tragedy
Old 05-10-17, 08:42 AM
Prasha
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

She (sc430) rear-ended Ford Escape..... both died....because he suffered a medical emergency?
Old 05-10-17, 09:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 125 Likes on 116 Posts

I believe the 87 year old was not wearing a seat belt according to the news.
Old 05-10-17, 10:07 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The real question is whether she would have survived had she been in another Ford Escape X SUV. The police report shows she was wearing seat belt and airbag was deployed.
Attached Files
Old 05-10-17, 04:31 PM
mandyfig

Received 125 Likes on 116 Posts

This really hits hard. So weird that being an owner of an SC, you are kind of connected and you can feel the event.
Old 05-10-17, 07:19 PM
GmanSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 87 Likes on 82 Posts

May she Rest In Peace.
Old 05-11-17, 05:14 AM
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I would imagine the weak link in our cars would be the aluminum roof. It would seem in a roll over there is no protection because the only what I would call roll bars are hidden behind the rear seat headrests but those are to low to save your head from any impact. There just is no room to build in a higher roll bar unless maybe you remove rear bottom seat and build from there. The accident report does not mention the speed or road conditions all probably led to the accident and fatality
Old 05-11-17, 09:04 AM
Prasha
Pole Position

I wonder at what speed she was driving that the impact (rear end) caused both the vehicles to overturn - fatally.....she had seat belt on but could not be saved
Old 05-11-17, 10:34 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Fanatic

Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha View Post
I wonder at what speed she was driving that the impact (rear end) caused both the vehicles to overturn - fatally.....she had seat belt on but could not be saved
the photos and witnesses show and say she went down an embankment and the car was overturned and in the water...the witness said they tried to turn the car over but it was a big heavy Lexus and would not budge...
Old 05-11-17, 12:34 PM
platinum69
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very sad. But we should understand tomorrow is not promised, be the best person you can be today. IMO
The following users liked this post:
Coleroad (05-12-17)
Old 05-11-17, 07:31 PM
Prasha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70 View Post
the photos and witnesses show and say she went down an embankment and the car was overturned and in the water...the witness said they tried to turn the car over but it was a big heavy Lexus and would not budge...
I am very sad worried and concerned what triggered this deadly incident. She had seat belts on, witness tried to turn the car but did they try to pull her out? she died on impact? could the seat belt come off or was she stuck? Car had any mechanical problems? Will not know the facts until the investigation is complete....
Old 05-11-17, 07:49 PM
Tketrns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Offense, RIP chris bermans wife. But most middle age people are not physically fit. I am just 31 y/o but i know that in an accident most people let go of the wheel and can be knocked out cold when anything hits the head. Most likely she didn't die on impact, but had a head injury, and was out cold, and then because car was overturned made it impossible for another person to unbuckle them and they drowned. Or maybe it was the airbag?
Old 05-12-17, 06:04 AM
Coleroad
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha View Post
I am very sad worried and concerned what triggered this deadly incident. She had seat belts on, witness tried to turn the car but did they try to pull her out? she died on impact? could the seat belt come off or was she stuck? Car had any mechanical problems? Will not know the facts until the investigation is complete....
Being under water can be very disorienting by itself. If you have ever rolled a vehicle, it too is very disorienting. I can't imagine having both happen at the same time. I just want to leave theory, and conjecture out of it. It's sad to lose a loved one. I'd rather focus on that, and to give driving your 100% focus.

Last edited by Coleroad; 05-12-17 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 07:13 AM
Jabberwock

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Best thing to do is drive a convertible (even one with a pretend hardtop), as if it were a motorcycle - head on a swivel and defensively but even then extreme accidents can and do happen. "Sporty" convertibles are inherently more risky than larger hardtop vehicles in an actual crash but virtually every activity in life has more or less risk so you have to choose.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 05-12-17 at 08:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So sad

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: