SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hand-made or Robot-made ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 07:19 PM
Natroth
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hand-made or Robot-made ???

I understand that SC430's were hand assembled up to late 2004 in 72hrs, thereafter assembled by robots in 26hrs.
My provocative question is which is better?
Has anyone formed a view that a hand assembled SC430, with Spanish leather, is better than/worse than the robot made ones using Chinese leather???
Are the hand-assembled cars more collectible?

Just askin'
Old 05-04-18, 07:30 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I don’t know. But mine was hand assembled in April 2001. It’s now over 17 years old and the motor is dead quiet. While I doubt the motor or transmission were hand assembled they have worked flawlessly.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-04-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 02:34 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My thoughts... if it took 72 hours vs the 26, seems to me that maybe the Japanese had more time to make sure assembly was to perfection, Robot's are not perfect since they are made by humans. However robots are faster.

The more eyes~~on assembly of the car gives the advantage for many assemblers to see potential manufacturing defects as the car rolls down the production line. I would prefer the 72 hour versions.
As VVTiBob says, car is dead quiet! I would not say no to a 26 hour version;-)

B-
Old 05-05-18, 06:58 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

As one who worked on an assembly line as an inspector in Detroit to make money for college, I'd prefer a robot assembled vehicle. Robots don't have bad days, arguments with their wives, get pissed off at the boss, etc. The key to perfect assembly is a lack of variability. Robots will give you that every time.
Old 05-05-18, 07:45 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by kitabel
Robots do exactly what they are programmed to do very well.
How about things they are not programmed to do?
They don't do them at all.
Like deliberately throw some bolts in a sealed fender well to rattle around because the boss cut their overtime? Like decide not tighten a bolt to spec because they "didn't have time?"
As an inspector, I saw it all.
My job would have been cut in half if the worker stopped doing things that they were not instructed to do!
Old 05-05-18, 08:27 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Yesterday

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Like deliberately throw some bolts in a sealed fender well to rattle around because the boss cut their overtime? Like decide not tighten a bolt to spec because they "didn't have time?"
As an inspector, I saw it all.
My job would have been cut in half if the worker stopped doing things that they were not instructed to do!
One of my friends showed me some photos yesterday, his father is a GM Technician, I could not believe my eyes~~2018 Equinox, with the entire Dash, Console, and front Doors, yes, both front doors and Interior Seats, all removed! All that to remove/fix the Evaporator, can't make that up!

JohnnyCake you are correct, somebody on the assembly line forgot to hook it up properly! He told me that the total time allowed was 9 hours for his Dad to do the replacement and put the car back together again!

B-
Old 05-05-18, 08:38 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

As one who worked on an assembly line as an inspector in Detroit to make money for college, I'd prefer a robot assembled vehicle. Robots don't have bad days, arguments with their wives, get pissed off at the boss, etc. The key to perfect assembly is a lack of variability. Robots will give you that every time.
Yeah, robots don't leave a coke bottle inside a door panel for an example. Their work is more precise, IMO. There is no difference cars assembled on Monday or Friday from ones made other week days.
Old 05-05-18, 11:40 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by hoffy5
JohnnyCake you are correct, somebody on the assembly line forgot to hook it up properly! He told me that the total time allowed was 9 hours for his Dad to do the replacement and put the car back together again!
Not to have this thread change direction too far, but there's not a whole lot of accountability when a worker messes up like that. Worse case scenario, s/he got "written up" which amounts to nothing unless there's a clear pattern. As an inspector, I got paid a little more per hour than the line workers. The trade-off was that management was free to discipline me without jumping through a bunch of hoops. For example, I worked on the engine line and once sent a V-8 up when the build sheet called for a V-6. When the engine and car couldn't mesh, the line stopped, which is most egregious sin (much worse than not connecting an evaporator, since that can be corrected on the side). I was immediately suspended for the rest of the day and sent home. I deserved it and learned a lesson.
Old 07-26-22, 06:18 AM
Frankizone
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While I've certainly heard all the same stories about manufacturing sabotage by American auto workers, but these cars are built in Japan where there are corporate anthems and codes of honor. These workers were producing a car that the company was willing to lose money on each one that was built. Sabatoge by a Japanese auto worker would be followed with a trip to The Suicide Forest after just a few sleepless nights.
The following users liked this post:
Absred02 (04-18-23)
Old 07-26-22, 06:52 AM
Natroth
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankizone
While I've certainly heard all the same stories about manufacturing sabotage by American auto workers, but these cars are built in Japan where there are corporate anthems and codes of honor. These workers were producing a car that the company was willing to lose money on each one that was built. Sabatoge by a Japanese auto worker would be followed with a trip to The Suicide Forest after just a few sleepless nights.
Johnnycake shares a belief, with many others, that car-building robots will repeat, repeat, repeat without error or variation but the Tesla robots punching out a 1000 cars a week seems to disprove that assumption...... I really enjoy driving my 20-year-old SC430 and have great respect and admiration for the many Japanese hands that assembled it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Natroth:
Absred02 (04-18-23), Caflashbob (07-26-22), WIL44 (07-26-22)
Old 07-26-22, 12:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Natroth
Johnnycake shares a belief, with many others, that car-building robots will repeat, repeat, repeat without error or variation but the Tesla robots punching out a 1000 cars a week seems to disprove that assumption...... I really enjoy driving my 20-year-old SC430 and have great respect and admiration for the many Japanese hands that assembled it.
I have never been able to see any difference between my 2002 and 2007.
they are almost the same car with a few exceptions. Just my observations…
Old 07-26-22, 02:40 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 334 Posts

I have zero experience with "hand-built" SC430's, but I can tell you my 2008 robo-built copy has been flawless! The only complaint I had initially was the run-flat tires, but that was easy to resolve and had nothing to do with the build. The engineering or marketing exec that called for run-flats should take "a trip to The Suicide Forest."
The following users liked this post:
Caflashbob (07-26-22)
Old 07-26-22, 03:16 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I have zero experience with "hand-built" SC430's, but I can tell you my 2008 robo-built copy has been flawless! The only complaint I had initially was the run-flat tires, but that was easy to resolve and had nothing to do with the build. The engineering or marketing exec that called for run-flats should take "a trip to The Suicide Forest."
how many miles on your 08?
Old 07-26-22, 04:34 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
how many miles on your 08?
Just 62K miles on my '08. Perhaps it will take a few 100K more before any robo-defects show up?
Old 07-26-22, 06:10 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Just 62K miles on my '08. Perhaps it will take a few 100K more before any robo-defects show up?

after fixing the bad oem design stuff I am planning on trying to wear mine out. I may not live long enough I think as I have seen a few with 300k miles without major issues. I am at 42k

Quick Reply: Hand-made or Robot-made ???