SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 05:41 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you guys for the amazing and helpful tips.

Yeah, if I were to get the earlier models I would have to switch out the tail lights, as well as the infamous "plate" wheels haha. But it is good to know that people are having no issues with their SC430's despite the high mileage on the cars. I'm just trying to look for the car in the most prestine condition at the right price. I will continue looking at threads for this forum and looking forward to joining you guys on this forum soon!
Old 04-07-17, 12:15 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

vtp: I've owned 4 different SC430s over the past 4 years (2006, 2009 Pebble Beach, 2002, and currently a 2006). I find that this particular model has "gotten into my blood," and I can't really see myself ever not owning one. Something about the unique, timeless styling, the normally aspirated V8 engine (bulletproof), and the buttery soft leather and rich wood interior.

I've definitely noticed a significant difference in ride/handling between the 2002 and the 2006+ models I've owned, with the suspension updates on the 2006+ models resulting in a smoother ride (but my 2002 might have just been an anomaly). I definitely prefer the electroluminescent gauges found in the 2006+ models (the 2002-2005 gauges look pretty standard Toyota issue).

If you too are "smitten" by this model, I recommend you buy the latest year, lowest mileage one you can afford, since they are no longer being produced (and have been out of production for 6 years now). The prices for the low mileage cars have remained pretty stable over the past 2-3 years, and I wouldn't be surprised to actually see them start to rise a bit in the future since this car is still beloved by many. My current SC is a 2006 that I located in Oklahoma City. It was being sold by the estate of an attorney and his wife, who had both passed away. My car was a gift to the wife in 2006, and was driven very sparingly. The car had 17,000 miles when I bought it last summer, and still smells new. I paid $26K for the car, and feel like I got a decent deal, given the condition and low mileage.

There are a couple of decent deals on AutoTrader.com nationwide right now (for a very low mileage post-2006 SC). One is a 2006 with 10K miles, located in Pennsylvania (looks like a brand new car, and has great Lexus service history). Asking price on that one is $29.5K, and the seller won't budge (I was interested). Another one is a 2007 with 27K miles located in Wisconsin. Asking price is around $27.5k. Both of those are Millennium Metalic (silver) with the nice Saddle leather interior (my personal favorite color combo).

Of course, there are plenty of cheaper, higher mileage cars out there right now, and these cars are REALLY reliable, so if you're just looking for a daily driver, you can find one significantly cheaper than the two I mentioned. I'm just thinking that these ultra-low mileage cars will hold their value the best, and may actually increase in value as time passes. You really can't go wrong with an SC430, and your own budget will dictate what you end up with. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
JTho (08-04-17)
Old 04-07-17, 01:02 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

The prices for the low mileage cars have remained pretty stable over the past 2-3 years, and I wouldn't be surprised to actually see them start to rise a bit in the future since this car is still beloved by many.
I agree, you simply cannot find a low mileage SC430 in my area (Raleigh, NC) which is why I had to go to Florida to purchase mine. And while I paid a tad under $12k I wouldn't sell it for less than $14k. I think you will see these start to go up in value more as good examples are becoming harder and harder to find.
Old 04-07-17, 01:41 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When it comes to SC430 I think newer year is probably more preferred than lower miles after all this thing can go on 300K miles without much trouble. Given a choice between 02 with 20k miles and 08 with 80k miles I would choose the later for an SC430 any day. But I won't do the same for a BMW 428iC.
Old 04-07-17, 05:21 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Originally Posted by riknchar
vtp: I've owned 4 different SC430s over the past 4 years (2006, 2009 Pebble Beach, 2002, and currently a 2006). I find that this particular model has "gotten into my blood," and I can't really see myself ever not owning one. Something about the unique, timeless styling, the normally aspirated V8 engine (bulletproof), and the buttery soft leather and rich wood interior.

I've definitely noticed a significant difference in ride/handling between the 2002 and the 2006+ models I've owned, with the suspension updates on the 2006+ models resulting in a smoother ride (but my 2002 might have just been an anomaly). I definitely prefer the electroluminescent gauges found in the 2006+ models (the 2002-2005 gauges look pretty standard Toyota issue).

If you too are "smitten" by this model, I recommend you buy the latest year, lowest mileage one you can afford, since they are no longer being produced (and have been out of production for 6 years now). The prices for the low mileage cars have remained pretty stable over the past 2-3 years, and I wouldn't be surprised to actually see them start to rise a bit in the future since this car is still beloved by many. My current SC is a 2006 that I located in Oklahoma City. It was being sold by the estate of an attorney and his wife, who had both passed away. My car was a gift to the wife in 2006, and was driven very sparingly. The car had 17,000 miles when I bought it last summer, and still smells new. I paid $26K for the car, and feel like I got a decent deal, given the condition and low mileage.

There are a couple of decent deals on AutoTrader.com nationwide right now (for a very low mileage post-2006 SC). One is a 2006 with 10K miles, located in Pennsylvania (looks like a brand new car, and has great Lexus service history). Asking price on that one is $29.5K, and the seller won't budge (I was interested). Another one is a 2007 with 27K miles located in Wisconsin. Asking price is around $27.5k. Both of those are Millennium Metalic (silver) with the nice Saddle leather interior (my personal favorite color combo).

Of course, there are plenty of cheaper, higher mileage cars out there right now, and these cars are REALLY reliable, so if you're just looking for a daily driver, you can find one significantly cheaper than the two I mentioned. I'm just thinking that these ultra-low mileage cars will hold their value the best, and may actually increase in value as time passes. You really can't go wrong with an SC430, and your own budget will dictate what you end up with. Good luck!
WOW... $26k for a 2006 SC430 with 17k miles is an ABSOLUTE STEAL. There was only one last time I checked within a 200 mile vicinity of Southern California and it was going for around $49k I believe. I do think these cars are absolutely gorgeous and I think that they will increase in value over time, but right now I'm just being very meticulous about finding the right one I want. I just saw a SC430 the other day that had white exterior and a red interior. That's exactly the color combo I wanted.
Old 04-07-17, 05:23 PM
vtp86
Rookie

It's generally good to know there's no drop-off when it comes to reliability or obvious difference in problems with each model, only aesthetic differences. I still ideally want to get an SC430 with the lowest mileage possible though!
Old 04-07-17, 06:56 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up one owner 2007 with all documented service records performed at a local Lexus dealer with 114k miles on the clock about 2-3 years ago. It had some paint chips on the front hood and bumper but other than that it was perfect inside and out with not even a door ding. I did have to replace the alternator about 6 months ago but other than that it's been bulletproof.
Attached Thumbnails Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?-img_0917.jpg  
Old 04-07-17, 09:04 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

I agree on the latest model, lowest mile posdible is my way.

i was in the car biz long ago and adopted this buying method.

so when my neighbor rolled out a mint 08 PB with 18k Miles for $30k cash of his storage I said ok.

it has a transferable warranty we probably will not need

added $4k to the car so far without hesitation and we really enjoy this car.

tires, stereo, luxlink

we also own a 07 Solara convertible with 150k miles still so this was a logical upgrade.

added a trans pump and tow the Solara behind our motorhome happily.

also are the original owner of a 1998 Honda Accord with 200k miles on it.

much more repairs to the Ohio produced Honda Accord than the Solara produced here so the Japan produced Lexus should be the best.

too good of a low mile car to pass it by.
Old 04-09-17, 04:14 PM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tips for buying a SC430,,,

I dont suggest doin what i did... riding bus 33 hours from Texas with 6 hour layover in Atlanta...paid him 1000 without seeing the car...Wilde Lexus Sarasota FL.... great people ...and one owner 2006 46K miles and I paid too much for it...but it still looked new...the woman didn't want to keep her late husbands favorite car around... she serviced there .... excellent cookies... paint had a few chips but you have to look real close... what I did learn from looking... if you findone you re looking for don't wait too long... WW
Old 04-11-17, 01:11 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by vtp86
WOW... $26k for a 2006 SC430 with 17k miles is an ABSOLUTE STEAL. There was only one last time I checked within a 200 mile vicinity of Southern California and it was going for around $49k I believe. I do think these cars are absolutely gorgeous and I think that they will increase in value over time, but right now I'm just being very meticulous about finding the right one I want. I just saw a SC430 the other day that had white exterior and a red interior. That's exactly the color combo I wanted.
Sounds like you're after a 2007 Pebble Beach Edition (that one had the Starfire Pearl/White exterior and red leather interior). I'm not a fan of the red leather, personally, but I know others love it.

I was never really a fan of the Tan colored SC's either, until I found my 2006 in that scheme. I actually think the combination of the tan exterior and the ecru interior, with the nice brown wood accents, is the most cohesive color scheme for the SC. Here's my car on "delivery day..."
Old 04-11-17, 02:25 PM
riknchar
Instructor

VTP: Just saw a pretty nice 2009 Pebble Beach model for sale via Carvana.com. Free shipping directly to your location, with a 7-day moneyback guarantee and a 100-day warranty. $27,750 total price. Here's the link: https://www.carvana.com/search/20000...us-sc-430-base
Old 04-11-17, 07:30 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

It kinda depends what you are trying to do with the car, and your budget. Yes, getting the lowest mileage is generally the best. Having said that, I am not worried about buying a higher mileage if the car has been taken care of. I am more worried about the top stop working than the engine and tranny. In my case, I decided to get a higher miles car for cheaper vs paying for low miles car. I get to saved some money in the process. I also pay with cash so I have some leverage with the PO. I don't mind doing some maintenance work myself so replacing a few things are ok. I know I wanted to install coilover, so original shocks do not bother me as long as the price is right. They were still working ok, but probably should be replaced due to age. I have a small kid, so pristine interior is not going to last too long, and I want to enjoy the car with the family, not worried all the time how my boy may make a mess back there. I only drive several K per year, so even with high mileage, this car will last me a long time. I may get another car down the road, in better condition, with lower miles when my son is older.
Old 04-11-17, 09:04 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vtp86
Thank you guys for the amazing and helpful tips.

Yeah, if I were to get the earlier models I would have to switch out the tail lights, as well as the infamous "plate" wheels haha. But it is good to know that people are having no issues with their SC430's despite the high mileage on the cars. I'm just trying to look for the car in the most prestine condition at the right price. I will continue looking at threads for this forum and looking forward to joining you guys on this forum soon!
What is your color/combo choice? Is white the most desirable?
Old 04-11-17, 09:53 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Color is such a personal choice;its hard to say which is the most desirable. There has been some discussion on that topic here though:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...430-color.html
If you really want a more objective measure you can go to Kelly Blue Book and plug in different colors and see the resale price differences. I recall pearl white ( White Gold Crystal 02-05 and Starfire Pearl 06-10 ) was indeed among the most popular.
However, with white exterior you almost always get the ecru (white) interior with the exception of pebble beach edition. And the problem with pearl white exterior is that any repaint will be nearly impossible to color match and ecru leather shows wear and tear quicker than others.
Old 04-12-17, 04:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

WGC, can not go wrong with it!

Quick Reply: Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?