SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Synthetic Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 05:59 PM
Jimbad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Engine Oil

Nowhere have I seen it stated that Lexus recommends synthetic oil for the engine. A search on the CLF gave me no definitive answer. The reason behind my question: I have an factory extended warranty and should my 2006 SC ever have engine problems I don't want Lexus/Toyota to have any reason to blame my choice of oil on whatever failure.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-19-17, 06:23 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

As long as the oil meets or exceeds the API standard set forth in your owners manual. You do not have an issue with warranty. In the last decade since your sc was made oil standards have only gotten better. Basically any name brand oil synthetic or not will keep you in warranty. Synthetics start with a base oil that has less impurities. Synthetic oils are just plain better. Buy a name brand, change it regularly, and get a great quality oil filter. Short trips, and low use still means change the oil regularly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coleroad:
Jimbad (03-21-17), tromly (03-27-17)
Old 03-19-17, 06:32 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

No it does not. Shop foreman showed me the shop manual page.

non synthetic oil.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 10:52 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbad
Nowhere have I seen it stated that Lexus recommends synthetic oil for the engine. A search on the CLF gave me no definitive answer. The reason behind my question: I have an factory extended warranty and should my 2006 SC ever have engine problems I don't want Lexus/Toyota to have any reason to blame my choice of oil on whatever failure.
Thanks,
Jim
Been using full synthetic since my 12 year old SC was 3 years old. Runs perfect and pulls strong after 91k miles. Like everyone says, use the spec of oil called for by the manual (5w 30 for mine ) and follow maintenance intervals and you will be fine synthetic or non synthetic.
The following 2 users liked this post by OBP:
Old 03-20-17, 11:56 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Been using full synthetic since my 12 year old SC was 3 years old. Runs perfect and pulls strong after 91k miles. Like everyone says, use the spec of oil called for by the manual (5w 30 for mine ) and follow maintenance intervals and you will be fine synthetic or non synthetic.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you use synthetic and still change the oil as often as you would using conventional? If you are, then why are you using synthetic? I have asked 3 separate Lexus service advisors and all three have advised against synthetic in our vehicles. That may just be corporate lawyers talking though.
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 12:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you use synthetic and still change the oil as often as you would using conventional? If you are, then why are you using synthetic? I have asked 3 separate Lexus service advisors and all three have advised against synthetic in our vehicles. That may just be corporate lawyers talking though.
have you ever asked a service advisor why?

i hope they don't just say, because the Lexus engineer said so...

refer back to what Coleroad said.

besides, is a service advisor a super knowledgeable Toyota guy?
i am sure some might be, but let's face it, they sell you things for your car...

trust me, there are people on here that know much more about your SC430, vs a service writer.

next time you have your car at the Lexus dealer, ask them where the TPMS reset button is located and ask them what that little switch in the glovebox is used for...if they know these answers, they might know some things about the SC430.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-20-17 at 12:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
Old 03-20-17, 01:56 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Like I said they brought the shop service guide to me to show what engines required what. You can do whatever makes your tennies squeak.

a 300k teardown may or may not show a difference.
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 05:19 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Everything you'd want to know about motor oil. http://www.api.org/~/media/files/cer...2515.pdf?la=en .The mythS about synthetic oil is just that in this day and age. The things like creating leaks, not allowing proper engine break in, etc. those were problems back in the 70's and early 80's. Formulation has changed dramatically since then. These issues have long since been resolved. Some people just haven't moved on from those early issues. They continue insist those conditions still continue to this day. Not to mention, manufacturing having moved away from cork gaskets stopped tons of premature oil leaking.

one of the reasons I use synthetic oil, is the fewer impurities. It's not just about deposits in the engine. It is about deposits out of the exhaust. Less deposits in the egr system. Less deposits on the O2 sensors. Less deposits for the catalytic converters. Mineral based oil changed regularly, I don't see problems with the engine happening. I see it as the health of those other parts I can't get with mineral oil. Same for the throttle body and intake . Less deposits with synthetic oil through the pcv system.

Last edited by Coleroad; 03-20-17 at 05:45 PM.
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 07:56 AM
Jimbad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks, guys, for all of your input, I appreciate it.
I don't have to be convinced of the efficacy of synthetic oil; I've been using it in all of my cars (including my 2013 ES350) for the past fifteen years. I was concerned about only the possibility that using it in my 2006 SC might provide a loophole for Lexus/Toyota to negate any potential warranty claim should a serious engine problem rear its ugly head.

I totally agree with the remarks about many (all?) service writers. I do all of my own work, but in my limited exposure to those folks I am flabbergasted by their limited knowledge of autos. If I had the time I would write about my experience in trying to get new front brake rotors for my ES since my original once were in just terrible shape well before their time. My discussion with the dealership manager and the head of the service department were beyond the realm.

PS: I did not succeed in getting free replacements even though my new ES was/is under warranty.
Old 03-21-17, 08:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

They wouldn't blame you for using synthetic oil. As long as your oil meets the requirement called out in the manual (oil weight, API-Certified, etc), then you're good to go.
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 10:42 AM
ccurtin1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JM Lexus puts Mobile One 0w-20 in all SC430's and I think all of the V-8's now. I just had my 42,500 mile service done there.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...WzZWFOa8ZxO22c
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 01:24 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster

I change the oil once a year cos my actual mileage driven a year is less than 6500 in most years. I've always run full synthetic.
I guess someone who uses Dino could consider changing the oil more frequently. My oil always comes out pretty clean when drained so think I'm doing ok.
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 02:35 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by ccurtin1
JM Lexus puts Mobile One 0w-20 in all SC430's and I think all of the V-8's now. I just had my 42,500 mile service done there.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0...WzZWFOa8ZxO22c
Plus you get a $12 rebate this month. https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...tles-promotion

I know they are putting 0w-20 in most new cars, but I heard it was more for fuel economy than engine condition. I am still skeptical and am going to stick to5w-30 for a little longer. I like the thickness of the heavier motor oil because I think it sticks to the metal parts in our engines better. This sounds silly, but at work we have liquid hand soap that is so slick is slips off my hands on onto my shirt, where a liquid soap that you wash your dishes with doesn't ever do that.

You can watch this video of both oils at below freezing.

Another reason I like 5w-30 is I live in Arizona. Much more likely to see 120 degrees than 20 degrees

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 03-21-17 at 02:39 PM.
Jimbad (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 03:09 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Yeah, CAFE standards have made manufacturers do things that aren't necessarily good for longevity. I wouldn't put 0W-20 in an engine that it wasn't recommended for. I had one car that called for 0W-20 and I couldn't stand how loud the engine was. It ran fine, and I had no issues but man was it loud. Manufacturers are also doing things like reducing the amount of gear oil in differentials. This I know has created failed diffs. I own one of those vehicles, and I have filled both front and rear diffs to the bottom of the fill plugs. They call for only about half of that to be put in. Over 117 thousand miles now and no problems, with the diffs being filled to the plug. Many of these vehicles have failed diffs at 30K. I'm not though suggesting a different grade of oil be used other than what the manufacturer says. Manufacturers tried the lower oil capacities on some engines, only using four quarts. All in the name of fuel mileage. We know how catastrophic it was for those engines. So the next step was greater oil capacities thinner viscosity.
Old 03-21-17, 07:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd have used 0w-30 in the SC430/LS430 engines but would never use 0w-20 in it. The engines were designed and spec'd for 5w-30 oil. The second number in oil spec essentially refers to thickness/flow characteristic at 100C. I'd drastically simplifying the myriad technicalities involved but to my way of thinking a 0w-20w oil might be inadequate "thickness" for an engine designed to run with 5w-30w at 100C. See BITOG forum for countless threads with unending technical oil details debating pros and cons of 0w-20 oil use in engines spec'd for 5w-30.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Engine Oil