Radio Issue 2002 SC 430 w/ ML

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 10:40 AM
mrkbbd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Issue 2002 SC 430 w/ ML

All:

New member here. My wife has a 2002 SC430 with about 120k miles on it. It is hardly ever driven. Yesterday, I decided to get it running for her since the weather is nice in FL (has been sitting for about 1.5 years). I checked/topped all the fluids, put a new battery in it, and aired up the tires. All the typical warning lights went away after about 10 minutes, however the radio never came on.

I did a little searching on this forum and the typical response to radio issues seems to be the ML amp (mine is P/N 86280-0W070). One suggestion was to unplug it and plug it back in. So I took the trunk apart and did that. The fan turned on for about 15 seconds and then shut off. No life on the head unit, etc. I checked the ground to make sure it wasn't corroded and it was tight. I unplugged the cables and removed the amp to see if there was any corrosion, and again, it was all clean.

I then pulled the 30AMP fuse under the hood for the radio. I put it back in and heard the in dash CD Changer cycle so I'm thinking it is not the head unit.

Is it possible there is an initiation procedure due to the dead battery that I am overlooking / something else that I need to check / or is the amp just toast (I'm hoping it is not this since I just googled how much a replacement is and even the repairs are $$$$$$$)?

Thank you for your help!
~Mark
Old 01-01-17, 01:05 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear about your re-start issue.

Lesson learned, need to make sure the SC is started periodically or else a battery enhancer be installed to keep power to the car 365 days a year.

How many times have you hooked unhooked the battery? It might get re-initiated with the cycling in and out. Good luck.
Old 01-01-17, 01:40 PM
JDMFactory
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may sound weird but I had the same issue with my GX470. I resolved the issue by turning the ignition on and off 20-30 times quickly.
Old 01-01-17, 02:42 PM
mrkbbd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFactory
This may sound weird but I had the same issue with my GX470. I resolved the issue by turning the ignition on and off 20-30 times quickly.

I went out and tried this with no luck - tried position 0 to position 1, position 0 to position 2, and position 1 to position 2...

Any thoughts on it just coming back to life eventually? Or send the amp in for diagnostics? Did a code scan and the only logged codes were 02 sensors from sitting, no electrical issues...
Old 01-03-17, 01:22 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkbbd
All:

New member here. My wife has a 2002 SC430 with about 120k miles on it. It is hardly ever driven. Yesterday, I decided to get it running for her since the weather is nice in FL (has been sitting for about 1.5 years). I checked/topped all the fluids, put a new battery in it, and aired up the tires. All the typical warning lights went away after about 10 minutes, however the radio never came on.

I did a little searching on this forum and the typical response to radio issues seems to be the ML amp (mine is P/N 86280-0W070). One suggestion was to unplug it and plug it back in. So I took the trunk apart and did that. The fan turned on for about 15 seconds and then shut off. No life on the head unit, etc. I checked the ground to make sure it wasn't corroded and it was tight. I unplugged the cables and removed the amp to see if there was any corrosion, and again, it was all clean.

I then pulled the 30AMP fuse under the hood for the radio. I put it back in and heard the in dash CD Changer cycle so I'm thinking it is not the head unit.

Is it possible there is an initiation procedure due to the dead battery that I am overlooking / something else that I need to check / or is the amp just toast (I'm hoping it is not this since I just googled how much a replacement is and even the repairs are $$$$$$$)?

Thank you for your help!
~Mark
When you are saying the radio doesn't come on, I am assuming that you mean the display is coming on? Or do you just mean no sound?

I have powered up these radios on the bench without needing to connect any other components, so the radio is perfectly capable of powering on and operating regardless of a failing amp.

Try operating the radio from the steering wheel. Press and hold the mode button to power it on, then use the mode button to switch between functions and see if you hear anything.