SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Manual for VAIS SL3s sat tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 01:58 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Manual for VAIS SL3s sat tuner?

I put a bid on a VAIS SL3s sat tuner box on eBay that was going for $15 and ended up winning it. It was mostly just to monkey with because I bought a Grom Audio BT3 also.

It didn't mention it came with cables, but I was pleasantly surprised to get the cables with it. What I don't have, however, is a manual and when I go to VAIS website, the link doesn't seem to work for the manual.

Does anyone here happen to have a manual? Mostly I am interested in whatever I can learn about the pinouts.
Old 12-15-16, 03:41 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I emailed Eugene at VAIS and will let you know what I find out.

In the meantime,, here's a link to the SL2 which might be similar to the SL3

http://manualzilla.com/doc/7321835/v...owner-s-manual
The following users liked this post:
Retroplay (12-23-16)
Old 12-16-16, 10:49 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Here you go
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Manual_SL3s_073112.pdf (832.9 KB, 109 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyCake:
Coleroad (12-16-16), Retroplay (12-23-16)
Old 12-16-16, 10:54 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Here you go
You rock. I should have figured there wouldn't be any pinout information. I guess I will need to reverse engineer it.

I am hopefully picking up a 2007 Lexus IS250 this weekend, so maybe I will be able to use this in there. The GROM BT3 should serve my needs in the SC until I finish up the carPC.
Old 12-16-16, 11:39 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
You rock. I should have figured there wouldn't be any pinout information. I guess I will need to reverse engineer it.

I am hopefully picking up a 2007 Lexus IS250 this weekend, so maybe I will be able to use this in there. The GROM BT3 should serve my needs in the SC until I finish up the carPC.

retroplay, have you read up on the engines in the is250?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...extension.html

Last edited by Coleroad; 12-16-16 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Retroplay (12-23-16)
Old 12-16-16, 12:11 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
retroplay, have you read up on the engines in the is250?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...extension.html

I had not heard about that. Great info! I will be test driving it this weekend and will pay attention to any bog-down in the engine. It has the full service records, and it was pretty clean with all work done at the dealership.
Old 12-16-16, 12:25 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Just wanted to make you aware if you weren't already
Old 12-16-16, 02:22 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Retroplay
You rock. I should have figured there wouldn't be any pinout information. I guess I will need to reverse engineer it. .
I'm somewhat tight with the tech dude at VAIS. I can ask him if you want to give me a specific question.
Old 12-16-16, 02:27 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I'm somewhat tight with the tech dude at VAIS. I can ask him if you want to give me a specific question.
I am looking for enough detail to use it as an Aux interface. There is a center connector which according to the manual is not used at all in the Sirius application.

Pin outs for all of the connectors would be awesome, but specifically I am looking to use it as a cheap aux interface. I have no plans to install a SiriusXM receiver.
Old 12-16-16, 03:56 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

IS250 engine carbon built up is notorious and it requires clean up every 80k miles. I passed up at least two IS250C because of the issue. I would get IS350 instead.
You may be aware that Grom just came out with a car PC (started shipping this month and was only $299 intro price last month I think). Basically, this car PC is installed behind the console and it turns your NAV touch screen into a computer screen. I wish it worked with SC models.
Old 12-16-16, 04:44 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
IS250 engine carbon built up is notorious and it requires clean up every 80k miles. I passed up at least two IS250C because of the issue. I would get IS350 instead.
You may be aware that Grom just came out with a car PC (started shipping this month and was only $299 intro price last month I think). Basically, this car PC is installed behind the console and it turns your NAV touch screen into a computer screen. I wish it worked with SC models.
I did see the Vline and it is quite interesting. I would like to find out WHY it couldn't be used in the SC430. I suspect that it probably could and just hasn't been tested/has different connectors.But $500 is quite a bit to be a guinea pig.
Old 12-17-16, 10:37 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Even at $299 I didn't think it was such a great idea. Vline gets its internet from your phone's hot spot anyway. Since none of the Lexus car's nav screen was multi-touch and swipe-enabled, functionality wise it would never come close to any smart phone or tablet. With media bluetooth connection any tablet can be a much better screen and a PC at the same time.
Old 12-17-16, 12:02 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Well, I picked up the Lexus IS250. It is the AWD version with the premium navigation and audio package.

I didn't notice any bogging down. All SBs have been completed and all service was done at a Lexus dealership. Originally from Minnesota.

Interior is very clean. Only some very minor aging/wear on the leather. Not as bad as the SC430.
It had a few scuff marks in the paint. Dealer buffed them out for me.
Some paint chips on the front hood. I'll need to touch those up.

Some drawbacks:

It had 4 previous owners (yikes), but all owners used the dealer for service. Well documented. Carfax was pretty clean. It had one minor front bumper damage incident shortly after it was first purchased, no airbag deployment, and the bumper was replaced.

It has mix & match tires and it was having some trouble handling in the slush we got today.

The good news is the driver's side are both Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires and I talked the dealer into putting those on the passenger side (which had two different tires). They had to order them so I have to go back in next week to switch them out. Until then, need to drive carefully.

(Driver's side are both Extreme Contact DWS, but the passenger side has a Kelley tire in the back and a Michelin in the front. The original stance is supposed to have been staggered, I think. Not sure if the last owner realized that.

Almost didn't purchase story:
The spare tire is missing the bracket to hold it down. It was clunking around in the trunk and I almost didn't buy it because I thought it was the suspension until I figured it out. Haha. Cheap part ($20 on ebay)

Still learning all the features, but many of the features I wanted in the SC430 are there:

Bluetooth (only works with the phone? Haven't figured out how to stream music through it.)
Aux input
DVD player
Back up camera
Parking assist [EDIT: It appears it may not have parking assist unless I haven't figured out how to use it yet]
Full AFS headlights
Smart Key push button start
Voice control for navigation, radio, climate control.
And everything is managed from the touch screen including the radio and climate controls.

The Nav display uses GVIF for video which opens up LOTS of possibilities for upgrades and looking around, cheaper too.

I guess I have all winter to get familiar with it.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12-18-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-17-16, 05:57 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

In fact, any Lexus in the last fifteen years would be way more advanced in amenities than SC430
The smart key and integrated parking assist are two features that are so convenient but cannot be added at all.
Old 12-17-16, 07:15 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
In fact, any Lexus in the last fifteen years would be way more advanced in amenities than SC430
The smart key and integrated parking assist are two features that are so convenient but cannot be added at all.
I may have been incorrect about the parking assist. I thought it had it, but if it does, I haven't figured out how to use it. The menus from the manual don't seem to be present. Every other option looks to be installed, so I am a little surprised if it doesn't have it.

Nav is Gen 5, DVD is 6.1 so it needs an upgrade!

Quick Reply: Manual for VAIS SL3s sat tuner?