SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can't access passenger side fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 08:06 PM
Susaneliza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can't access passenger side fuse box

Forgive a stupid question. I blew the cigarette lighter and power fuses. I was able to get to driver side fuse box but can't get at the passenger side box. I have a 2003 SC430. Do I need to remove the dash below the glove box? It is difficult to get fuse box open because it is obstructed by the dash. Am at wits end. I causes all of these problems trying to put air in tires.
Old 09-29-16, 01:43 AM
2004sc
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know for sure about the 2003, but I have a 2004 and nothing has to be removed to get at the fuse box on the passenger side of it. Not too much room so I have to be sort of a "contortionist" to reach it, but it can be done. Had mine off a few times.
Old 09-29-16, 03:44 AM
Susaneliza
Driver School Candidate

2004sc, I can't thank you enough for your reply.i will try again this morning. The fuse box was so difficult to access that I figured that I was doing something wrong. I searched the internet repeatedly and no one else seemed to be having my problem.
After I finish changing out the fuses, I need to get the TPM light out with air in tire that I was unable to fill. I will use an inflator that doesn't use a cigarette lighter. Can't believe a simple tire inflater caused all this grief in first place.
Crossing my fingers. Ill be so proud of myself if I straighten all this out. Baby steps....
Old 09-29-16, 11:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Click on link, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-problems.html
post 12 has an illustration of the passenger fuse panel location.

Originally Posted by Susaneliza
2004sc, I can't thank you enough for your reply.i will try again this morning. The fuse box was so difficult to access that I figured that I was doing something wrong. I searched the internet repeatedly and no one else seemed to be having my problem.
After I finish changing out the fuses, I need to get the TPM light out with air in tire that I was unable to fill. I will use an inflator that doesn't use a cigarette lighter. Can't believe a simple tire inflater caused all this grief in first place.
Crossing my fingers. Ill be so proud of myself if I straighten all this out. Baby steps....
Old 09-29-16, 11:37 AM
Susaneliza
Driver School Candidate

Bgw70, I didn't explain how I blew fuses b/c I figured most of you aren't as unskilled as I am. I used a Harbor Freight pump that plugs into a cigarette lighter to pump up my tires. The tire warning sensor had triggered. I don't have the name of the pump handy at the moment. In any case, the pump has a 15A glass fuse in the part that goes into the lighter. I successfully pumped 3 tires before it cut off. Didn't realize it was blowing my car fuses. The fine print of SC manual says not use anything higher than 10A in lighter.
I was successful this am changing out fuses and using a pneumatic pump on tires. i had quite a time trying to get at passenger fuse panel. My car had a panel that had to be removed unlike the helpful person who replied to my earlier post. My other headache was trying to get sensor off after filling tires. I swear the manual made it sound as though the light would turn off with the proper pressure level. I had look on this site to figure out the reset was next to glove box.
I put 38psi in tires. Hope that isn't too much. The tire says 40 and the car door says 33 psi. I will likely bring it to Lexus to make sure I didn't put too much air in tires.
All along the way, I struggled b/c I have no mechanical ability. I am proud of myself for persevering. It was comical to watch my antics!
Old 09-29-16, 11:44 AM
Susaneliza
Driver School Candidate

I knew the location of the panel from the manual but I was unable to remove the cover without first removing another cover under the glove box.
Old 09-29-16, 12:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Susaneliza
I put 38psi in tires. Hope that isn't too much. The tire says 40 and the car door says 33 psi. I will likely bring it to Lexus to make sure I didn't put too much air in tires.
No need for that -- you've got this under control!!! My wife doesn't know an AMP from an ANT, so you are miles ahead.

You are gonna want to let some air out of the tires. 40 psi is the MAX the tire can handle. The door tells you what you SHOULD put in. So let some out until you get to 33 psi.
Old 09-29-16, 12:18 PM
Susaneliza
Driver School Candidate

JohnnyCake, thank you so much!! I will go up right now and let some air out till I get to 33 PSI. Believe it or not, the female maintenance rep at my dealership told me to read the tire to get the proper air pressure setting. I asked her how the tire sensor would then sense proper setting. She claimed the sensor was in the tires and would know. I thought she was wrong but when I couldn't get sensor light off without resetting, I added more air.
Thank you for the encouragement. Needless to say, I'll never be a mechanic. I appreciate the kind words and this forum.
Old 09-29-16, 02:43 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

If you are still having problems with the fuse panel, try this...

Since the upper panel seems to be blocking the fuse panel, just give the upper panel a little push and hold it out of the way.

Mine seems to hang low and block the panel also. You can hold the upper panel with one hand and then you need to turn a little **** at the end of the fuse panel cover. It is on the floor mat side.
Once you turn the ****, you pull the panel towards you until the whole thing comes free.
I am not sure if there is a fuse puller in the compartment, but if there is, use that to pull the fuse. It is usually white. You squeeze it around the head of the fuse and pull out.
Once you get the fuse changed, you need to put the fuse cover panel back in opposite order. That means you put the end away from the floor mat in first. Turning the little **** locks it into place

Here is a video on changing fuses if you think you need it
Old 09-29-16, 03:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

If your TPM light is not going out regardless of having 33 psi or better in all of your tires, then more than likely the battery has gone out in one or more of your sensors. Unfortunately, the batteries are not replaceable and the resolution will require replacing the sensors, which will require taking the tires off the wheels.
Old 09-29-16, 04:50 PM
Susaneliza
Driver School Candidate

Harold57 & DashingDar, thank you so much for your help. They next time I embark on another maintenance odyssey, I will seek advice from this terrific site. Outside of getting the psi back to 33 as recommended by JohnnyCake and figuring out whether I need to replace a glass fuse I the pump that caused my problems in the first place, I hope to hang up my tool belt for a bit. I bought enough fuses from Amazon Prime to last a lifetime!!
Old 09-29-16, 05:07 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

I'd prefer to not have to work on my car also but sometimes you just have to get out there and handle a situation!

Harbor Freight does sell a lot of decent stuff cheap but sometimes you get what you pay for. I bought a Viair compressor that looks like it is pretty sturdy and reliable and comes in a little zip up kit. (I keep it in the little well on the right in the trunk.) It is reasonably quiet (for what it is) and seems to do a good job. But I think that it has a 15 A fuse also, so it may not make a difference though I suspect that it would. (Seems like it was in the $40 range or so.) I hope I never need to use it though. IIRC, it was recommended by someone else here on the forum a few years back.

BTW, welcome to the forum.