2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 01:05 PM
Rwal
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio

Good afternoon everyone,

I just recently had the "Sirius Commander" installed in my 2004 SC 430 in the ashtray space and wanted to share it with everyone. The "Sirius Commander: is on of the smallest units that I found on the market. It will fit in the ashtray area with the ashtray removed and with just some minor trimming it fits in the space while retaining the cigarette lighter for other uses.

The unit retails normally for around $129.00 but I just saw it at Best Buy online for $85.00 (8/3/2016). I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago at Best Buy (online) for $129.00 and which included free installation. When the job was completed the unit is hidden in the ashtray space and the ashtray door closes normally to hide the unit. I had the antenna installed on the driver door pillar near the roof.

I can say that the Best Buy Tech tried to wiggle out of doing the job like I wanted but in the end he did do it. He did not want to trim the plastic behind the ashtray area but once he did it and installed the unit you can't see anything but the finished product. Please see the attached pictures of the finished product.

I did not change the original head unit. I did reach out to two different so called custom audio shops in the Detroit, Ann Arbor and Flint, MI areas and told them what i was wanting to do and even gave them the "Vias" website for additional information but after two weeks and two follow up call to the shops it became apparent they were not interested in the work.

I was told that if I tapped in to the FM signal without using the "Vias" unit that the sound would be less then acceptable but it's fine for me and works well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails 2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio-sc430-a.jpg   2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio-sc430-b.jpg   2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio-sc430-c.jpg   2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio-sc430-d.jpg  

Last edited by Rwal; 08-03-16 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 02:53 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Very nice. That is a good use of that space!

Last edited by Harold57; 08-04-16 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Updated to match updating of OP.
Old 08-03-16, 03:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Did something similar about a year ago... your's definitely looks more up to date with more advanced tuner. I decided against the ash tray mount, as I need the cig lighter for charging my/passenger's phone or other accessories via the 12v outlet. I installed the antenna behind the rear window deflector glass on the package tray. Very nice install, though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...m-install.html

Additionally, I don't even pay for service anymore, therefore I don't really use my tuner. Only listened to one or two stations of the entire channel subscription when I had service (usually only Pitbull Radio). In the end, not worth the money for me so now just use my iPod or streaming from phone (mp3s, TuneIn Radio, IHeartRadio, or Pandora).

Last edited by ShawnOk; 08-03-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 04:53 PM
Rwal
Driver School Candidate

I apologize for not providing more information but I just added additional info regarding the install. I did not change the ML head unit and it works fine for my needs. I can adjust the volume from the steering wheel buttons or the head unit dial but everything else needs to be done on the "Commander" unit.
Old 08-03-16, 05:08 PM
Rwal
Driver School Candidate

Default I did not lose the cigarette lighter in the install.

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Did something similar about a year ago... your's definitely looks more up to date with more advanced tuner. I decided against the ash tray mount, as I need the cig lighter for charging my/passenger's phone or other accessories via the 12v outlet. I installed the antenna behind the rear window deflector glass on the package tray. Very nice install, though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...m-install.html

Additionally, I don't even pay for service anymore, therefore I don't really use my tuner. Only listened to one or two stations of the entire channel subscription when I had service (usually only Pitbull Radio). In the end, not worth the money for me so now just use my iPod or streaming from phone (mp3s, TuneIn Radio, IHeartRadio, or Pandora).
I did not lose the cigarette lighter in the install.
Old 08-03-16, 05:26 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Oh you're right! I didn't even noticed! Sorry! Great installation, again! How are you connecting to the ML headunit? Cassette adapter, or VaisTech or something else?
Old 08-03-16, 06:27 PM
Rwal
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 SC 430 Sirius Radio Reply to Thread

I don't actually know how the tech at Best Buy connected to the Mark Levinson system but it was not through the cassette or through a "Vais" unit. I believe it was through a FM converter that came with the "Commander" unit.

I believe that if you connected via the "Vais" unit you may possibly have more control of the unit and it may produce a better sound but for me it works well.
Old 08-03-16, 07:02 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Since we're talking about Sirius/XM, here's a tip: NEVER PAY FULL PRICE

Almost everyone starts with a "half off" offer, but then that converts to full price at renewal after a year. All you have to do is right before your renewal date, call Sirius customer support, tell them you like the radio, but just can't afford it at the regular price or that it just doesn't have value to you at the regular price.

They will read from a script, but just be nice and stick to your guns. Unlike that last three years I've done this, I was actually transferred to a supervisor to "close out my account" before I got the half price offer this year. In past years, the first rep has given in.

This isn't something I figured out -- If you Google for "Sirius renewal deal" you'll find links to the way to do this on the first page of results.

This year, my call went like this:

ME: My account expires next week. Before it auto-renews, I was wondering what it will cost?

SIRIUS: Renewal cost is $199.

ME: Gosh, that’s a big increase over the $99 I paid last year. I don’t listen to the radio that much. I guess I’ll need to cancel.

SIRIUS: Well, you could reduce the stations in your package to reduce the fee

ME: No, I listen to both music and news

SIRIUS: You’ve been a customer for a long time. Are you sure that cancelling really what you want to do?

ME: Yes, unfortunately, the price increase is just too much.

SIRIUS: I will have to transfer you to account management to complete the final cancellation, is that your final decision?

ME: Yes, unfortunately it is.

[HOLD HOLD HOLD -- New representative comes on the line]

SIRIUS: I understand that you would like to cancel your subscription, is that correct?

ME: Yes, it is.

SIRIUS: Since I’m in account management, I can offer you a special rate. Would you be interested in renewing for half price, $99?

ME: Why, yes. Yes, I would.
Old 08-03-16, 07:21 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

yeah, there is also the music only plan for 7.99 but still not worth the money for only 1 station that I liked, Pitbull Radio.
Old 08-04-16, 02:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

And you can tell them you refuse to pay the music royalty fee...works everytime...
also, never give them your CC, always make them send you an invoice because they can charge your CC at renewal time.