5spd transmission drain & refill

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 12:18 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 5spd transmission drain & refill

Hi,

I'm planning to do a drain & refill on a pre-FL sc430 tomorrow. There're two questions I'd like to ask just to be sure:

1. Is the drain bolt a 10mm hex key or a 14mm hex? Is it easy to reach? I always do engine oil jobs without jacking up the car, so I hope there's no need to jack up either (for safety reasons, just want to avoid getting under a jacked-up car).
2. Do you get more fluid out by draining or by pumping out from the dipstick tube?

Also, I think the pan is right between two exhaust pipes. How important is it to drain the tranny when it's warm? I think I probably should wait a couple of hours parked before doing the job to avoid injury.

thanks in advance
Old 04-21-16, 03:00 PM
ruger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexixel
Hi,

I'm planning to do a drain & refill on a pre-FL sc430 tomorrow. There're two questions I'd like to ask just to be sure:

1. Is the drain bolt a 10mm hex key or a 14mm hex? Is it easy to reach? I always do engine oil jobs without jacking up the car, so I hope there's no need to jack up either (for safety reasons, just want to avoid getting under a jacked-up car).
2. Do you get more fluid out by draining or by pumping out from the dipstick tube?

Also, I think the pan is right between two exhaust pipes. How important is it to drain the tranny when it's warm? I think I probably should wait a couple of hours parked before doing the job to avoid injury.

thanks in advance
I may seem lazy but for 100.00 my toyota drop the pan ,install new filter,new gasket and refilled
for me thats the way to go...
Old 04-21-16, 03:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

First of all, It may be difficult to change the oil or Trans fluid without jacking or ramps. I always use ramps, much easier and safer.

I believe a standard socket will remove the Trans drain plug, and be sure to wipe the magnet. No need to mess around with the dipstick other than refill.

After my first drain and refill I decided to just do it all at once by removing the two Trans cooler lines on the radiator. The lines were placed in a gallon milk jug. A helper started the car and after 15-20 seconds the jug was full and engine shut off.
Refilled Trans, then repeated two more times.
The fluid is bright red again.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-31-16 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-21-16, 08:50 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the trans fluid drain and refill capacity for the 2002 sc430 5 speed model??
Old 04-21-16, 11:21 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ruger
I may seem lazy but for 100.00 my toyota drop the pan ,install new filter,new gasket and refilled
for me thats the way to go...
That sounds like a great deal!

I already ordered the fluid, so next time I'll see how much they charge. The Toyota I went to (France) didn't even have the fluid. The guy wanted to sell me WS in the beginning. In the past, I also had a **** shop used the wrong fluid and screwed a transmission before. I have sued those *******s for two years. The system is so bad it'll take at least another year to get anything. And I have to hope the court knows the difference.

So for safety I want to do this myself.
Old 04-22-16, 02:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
Whats the trans fluid drain and refill capacity for the 2002 sc430 5 speed model??
About 2qts
Old 04-22-16, 08:07 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

So this afternoon I actually did it without jacking up the car or driving it on any ramp. It's quite easy. But if my arm were a couple of inches shorter it would be impossible.

Just to add a piece of information in case someone else in the future would like to know: The bolt is on the driver side, 14 mm. A long socket is needed, as the exhaust is in the way. The crash washer is likely not reusable. I got three from Toyota.

Also regarding the exhaust, it gets cool after half an hour.

However, for some reason I drained almost 3 litres. According to the dipstick, I knew that the level was way above full at hot before. I thought it was overfilled. So I added in the beginning only 2 litres. I think the transmission was shifting hard into R and D. So I added another say 0.7 litre...

Long story short, I was lazy and my funnels are small (I used two, a smaller one in the dipstick tube, and a larger one I held with one hand. The reason was that it was impossible to insert the large funnel. I spilled quite a bit. My estimate is about 0.3 litre spilled.

Now the level is way above full when hot. Actually, it's at the exact point where the dipstick twists. But the transmission seems to like this level better.

So another question: Is my transmission overfilled? That I drained 3 litres means that it was overfilled before, doesn't it?
Old 04-23-16, 12:20 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Hi, anyone wants to comet on the level of the fluid?
Old 04-24-16, 02:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Well I stand corrected because I never thought you could change the fluid without jacking or ramps!
What about the plastic under cover, is it missing?

Did you check the fluid the way the owners manual instructs?
If so, you are overfilled and should drain some...they have a full mark for a reason.
Old 04-24-16, 10:34 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Well, I didn't even know there was supposed to be a plastic cover under the transmission. I guess it's the 51442E here?
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ssembly=791960

Yes, it was missing. Old used cars...

Actually, I did a second D&RF last night. This time it was again almost 3 litres out and 2 litres in. Then, I drove a bit, and it was between min and max notches. I think it was shifting ok. The original 'hard shifting into R & D' was probably normal in retrospect; it was just the brake was pressed hard and the car wanted to go (cold idle).

I have however to dissuade anyone from doing it without jacking up the car in the future: I have, in two drains, stripped the bolt / pan. I don't know if it's because I used the ratchet with one hand or because the thread was already damaged before. I just got this car last week, and had planned on changing the engine and transmission fluids. The record says it was last changed at 70k miles (roughly) 5 years ago. It now has 100k. The colour is quite dark, brownish. I think the car has been neglected in the last 3 to 4 years. The seller did a timing + w/p job before selling me (at my request). Now, the engine oil filter is also stuck. I changed the oil but not the filter.

Together, I'll bring it to the dealer for an oil change + trans fluid. Hopefully I only need a new bolt, not a new pan. But that depends on which side was stripped (you can always rethread the pan, but I don't think a dealer will do it; I don't have the space or lift to drop the pan). I could have confirmed last night, but because I had only 2 litres of fluid in hand, I didn't want to keep the fluid dripping. I guess if left over night it could spill 5 litres...
Old 04-24-16, 10:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

That is really bad news about the drainplug. I sure hope you can get it fixed.
I use Valvoline MAX Life ATF, very good fluid and it is US$17 a gallon, Wal-Mart.
It meets or exceeds Toyota specs.
I just replaced all of the fluid at once and everything is fine.
Here are the ramps I use, the cost about US$40, again Wal-Mart

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-24-16 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-24-16, 12:02 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Hi, thanks.

Currently, I live in France (not French myself). So no WM and no cheap car parts

I could've bought some ramps, but I have stands (didn't use ). I think ramps are better, because there's no need to jump up the car.
Old 05-25-16, 09:49 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Just an update:

I got a 'rendez-vous' on 10 May, and finally got the car back today. They charged me 567 euros to change the oil pan. - And they used the wrong fluid - WS!

They insisted that it is the 'new' fluid. I had to drive to another Lexus dealer to get another quote. I also called this one later. They called Toyota. Finally, they've agreed to change to Type-4 next Tuesday.

Thank god I'm leaving France soon.
Old 05-26-16, 01:24 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used a MityVac to suck the fluid out from the dipstick tube and refill with new fluid.

About 2 qts out and 2 qts in each time for 2-3 times. Drive the car for a while between the changes.
Old 05-26-16, 06:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jzwu
I just used a MityVac to suck the fluid out from the dipstick tube and refill with new fluid.

About 2 qts out and 2 qts in each time for 2-3 times. Drive the car for a while between the changes.
Why would you do it this way?

I just unbolted the drain plug!

Do you have a drainplug?

What kind of car do you have?

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-26-16 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 5spd transmission drain & refill