Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 12:49 PM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cranking oddness

Hello-

2003 SC430 with ~140k miles.
Friday night, stopped at a gas station and left the car running for about 15 minutes.
Then stopped the engine and left the radio on for about 20 minutes.
Then the car wouldn't start- cranked weakly, then began clicking.
Jumped the car- took about five minutes before it would turn over again.
Then, after disconnecting the cables and running for only about a minute, it cranked strongly twice in the span of a minute. I found that strange, not believing that it had properly charged up that quickly.
Drove to an auto parts store, asked them to check the battery and such.
Battery said good, alternator said voltage regulator failure.
After about 10 minutes, went to drive off, not planning to stop until I got to my destination.
The car wouldn't start again, same weak turning and then clicking (note- this after about a fifteen minute drive, as opposed to the first one minute of charging after which it started twice just fine!).
So I was surprised that it wouldn't crank.
Then I drove it all weekend without a problem (5-6 stops and starts).
Then Monday night after I parked it, I went back to check it and it didn't start (same weak turn, and then clicking).

Tuesday morning, I tried twice and got weak turn & clicking, then it turned a little more strongly and started.

My guesses:
-don't think my battery is bad
-don't think my battery really was fully discharged and then suddenly recharged even though it has seemed that way, in such short time frames
-my alternator claims to be bad (voltage regulation)
-maybe I have some sort of loose connection on the backside of the battery? (the terminals look solid)
But I didn't shake or bump the car, or do anything for the cabling to be loose/bad Monday night, and then start Tuesday morning. But perhaps the very effort of trying to start the car is enough to shake a connection back together?

Feedback welcome, thanks!

(I don't think this is at all related to my blower post- my fan seems to be kicking on quite frequently while I drive, still trying to sort that out).
Old 03-15-16, 04:41 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's my guess and logic:

The clicking is a sign of insufficient amps to the starter. But you often have strong cranking mixed in with the weak cranking. So that makes me think battery is fine.

But with sufficient amps not getting to the starter, I would have to guess wiring. Check your connections at the battery for tight and clean. Check at starter motor also.

The fact that it does turn, albeit weakly, seems to rule out a dead spot on the starter coil/brush.

Just a guess.
Old 03-16-16, 05:36 AM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I think Johnny is spot on...........loose/bad connection, probably at the battery itself.
Old 03-16-16, 07:16 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Here's my guess and logic:

The clicking is a sign of insufficient amps to the starter. But you often have strong cranking mixed in with the weak cranking. So that makes me think battery is fine.

But with sufficient amps not getting to the starter, I would have to guess wiring. Check your connections at the battery for tight and clean. Check at starter motor also.

The fact that it does turn, albeit weakly, seems to rule out a dead spot on the starter coil/brush.

Just a guess.
+1. Also look at the motor to chassis ground strap. Attached well and not corroded.
Old 03-27-16, 08:27 PM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to re-check all the connections in case I've had multiple contributing issues.
But in the meantime, a (third?) battery check showed it had only ~240 amps rather than ~700.
I replaced it, and so far, everything has now been normal.

Thanks again for the feedback.