SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Fuel Injector Cleaning on SC430

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 03:57 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaning on SC430

We need a thread on cleaning our fuel injectors but first we need the tools to perform this procedure.
I just ordered the OTC 7448A cleaning tool and a 12 pack of the the OTC 7000A cleaning product.
These are very good prices for these products and I bought a case because each can was only $7.50 each.
I have four vehicles in my family and plan to perform this service every 30k-40k miles.
This service usually costs somewhere between $89-$149 per vehicle.
More information to include the actual procedure will follow in the near future.
https://www.jbtoolsales.com/otc-tool...aner-canister/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331739351045?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-15-16 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 10:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I use Seafoam every 3 to 4K miles.
Old 01-19-16, 03:42 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I use acetone. I put 4 ounces on a full tank.
Old 01-19-16, 06:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Sea foam on fill up no issues at all
Old 01-19-16, 07:50 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So after you started using Sea Foam in your tank, could you tell a difference?
The following users liked this post:
jimisbell (01-16-22)
Old 01-19-16, 08:07 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
So after you started using Sea Foam in your tank, could you tell a difference?
I take a preventive approach to caring for my cars and motorcycles. Sea Foam has an excellent reputation for keeping carburetors clean as well as gas tank issues. The instructions do say it is also used for fuel injection systems. Since I use it in all my vehicles and have done so since they were new I have not had any issues. This tells me that what I am doing must be having a positive effect. There are other instructions on the can for how to induce sea foam into the vacuum system, engine oil, as well as gas tank. I use it in small quantities on a regular basis. I have two Kawasaki Vulcan 750 motorcycles and they are notorious for carb issues. By using sea foam I have never had to rebuild my carbs one bike is a 1989 the other is a 1995.
Old 01-19-16, 08:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Ok this is how I see it. First I do use Berryman' fuel cleaner in my cars. The cleaners only work to a certain degree. Kind of like a dishwasher. It has it's limitations. Some things you just have to wash off with more power. In this case it's hand scrubbing. I see fuel treatment in this fashion. They help clean but have limitations. Using a system like Bgw bought. It runs straight cleaner for about 15-20 minutes. This is like running the parts through a heated parts washer using full strength cleaner. This is going to be more like hand pre washing the dishes before going into the dishwasher. Your clean off the tuff stuck on stuff that normally wasn't get washed off.
Old 01-19-16, 08:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I did purchase a few cans of Berryman’s. Maybe time to try it. I will take a pic of what I have and please tell me it is the right stuff.
Old 01-19-16, 08:26 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Ok this is how I see it. First I do use Berryman' fuel cleaner in my cars. The cleaners only work to a certain degree. Kind of like a dishwasher. It has it's limitations. Some things you just have to wash off with more power. In this case it's hand scrubbing. I see fuel treatment in this fashion. They help clean but have limitations. Using a system like Bgw bought. It runs straight cleaner for about 15-20 minutes. This is like running the parts through a heated parts washer using full strength cleaner. This is going to be more like hand pre washing the dishes before going into the dishwasher. Your clean off the tuff stuck on stuff that normally wasn't get washed off.
I looked into the BG44k fuel injection additive and I agree that its probably a good alternative . How ever to use it correct you need to buy there tool that allows you to use it properly and also need compressed air. They do mention that you can get this service performed at auto shop that does the treatment for you and has the equipment. Since I have gone with the sea foam treatment I don't believe I have any issues that are harming performance in my cars.
Old 01-19-16, 11:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a YouTube video of the procedure...the cleaning tool and chemical are scheduled to arrive tomorrow...I hope to try it out this weekend.

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-19-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 04:20 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Here is a YouTube video of the procedure...the cleaning tool and chemical are scheduled to arrive tomorrow...I hope to try it out this weekend.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qEp3kNBgzoc
On my Land Rover, just the wrong color. I also have the updated grill.

On serious note hook it up with the engine cold. If any gas leaks out when you hook it up it won't catch fire.
Old 01-19-16, 06:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad
On my Land Rover, just the wrong color. I also have the updated grill.

On serious note hook it up with the engine cold. If any gas leaks out when you hook it up it won't catch fire.
Do you like your Land Rover?

Thanks for the safety advice, always appreciated! I will have a fire extinguisher standing by!

I plan to try it out on my Trans Am first because I know where the connection is located and I know I have the correct adapters.

Then I will look at the SC fuel connections, I should have already done this! Maybe I will look up the procedure tomorrow.
Old 01-19-16, 06:26 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Do you like your Land Rover?

Thanks for the safety advice, always appreciated! I will have a fire extinguisher standing by!

I plan to try it out on my Trans Am first because I know where the connection is located and I know I have the correct adapters.

Then I will look at the SC fuel connections, I should have already done this! Maybe I will look up the procedure tomorrow.
Yes I do like my Land Rover. It is a comfortable ride down the interstate. Off-road capabilities are bar none. They have three main problems. One the injectors clog easy. Two the tie rod ends are to small an wear out quickly. Three, the rear lower control arm bushing wears quickly. I love the ground clearance, the adjustable air suspension. It's designed from the factory to go through 26 inches of water. No body flex. It has a unibody mounted to a full frame. The lr4 they took away the frame and just used the unibody.
Old 01-19-16, 06:42 PM
HenryF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the price of the tool, you could have them sent in for cleaning, rebuilding, filter replacement, and flow-matching. And there's certainly no reason to do it more than once, unless you're running horrible gasoline.
Old 01-19-16, 06:47 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HenryF
For the price of the tool, you could have them sent in for cleaning, rebuilding, filter replacement, and flow-matching. And there's certainly no reason to do it more than once, unless you're running horrible gasoline.
For $125 someone will do all of the work you listed?
Besides, I have four vehicles

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaning on SC430