SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Fuel Injector Cleaning on SC430

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 12:25 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Bgw, you reported on the Trans AM results, how did your SC do after the cleaning?

BTW, great documentation job with the pictures and descriptions. Thanks!
Old 12-03-16, 12:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Bgw, you reported on the Trans AM results, how did your SC do after the cleaning?

BTW, great documentation job with the pictures and descriptions. Thanks!
thanks Harold, she ran good before but after the cleaning, I did notice a crisper throttle response and a little better fuel mileage but then again it could just be the numbers from my dyno testing.
you know the one I am talking about ;-)

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-16-22 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-03-16, 01:54 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

That's funny. Never seen that before!
Old 12-03-16, 07:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
That's funny. Never seen that before!
its just for fun...someone posted it many moons ago and I thought it was funny 😂
Old 05-27-17, 04:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Kind of a long video because I didn't do any edits, but it gets the point across and there are four videos.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-27-17 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 07:42 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
For $125 someone will do all of the work you listed?
Besides, I have four vehicles
The best is 44K by BG
Old 05-27-17, 05:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
The best is 44K by BG
Thanks Bacardi, as I sip a Bacardi And Coke!
will check out that product once I finish these!
Old 08-25-19, 05:32 AM
PamsSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really pays to read the whole thread. Spent an hour trying to figure out why my car would not start with the relay pulled.

P.S. This a great website, thank for all the info. Off to do the timing belt next.
Old 08-25-19, 06:46 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Welcome to the forum PamsSC430
Old 08-25-19, 01:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by PamsSC430

......Off to do the timing belt next.
I would not go to the dealer for the timing belt job, instead order the ASIN TB kits from Amazon, then have your trusted independent mechanic do the installation, you will save $$$$. I’ve got the TB and WP job done for under $500.
Old 08-25-19, 01:59 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default cleaner

I have from time to time poured at least 2 cans of Chevron fuel injector cleaner in a one eighth full tank of gasoline at different mileage periods with very good results. The cleaner is pretty concentrated while running thru the system. I have always noticed a performance improvement after refueling. This way there is no need to disconnect lines or relays. Probably a neglected system might need a heavier cleaning procedure, but this method worked for me.

Last edited by leexed; 08-25-19 at 07:19 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-26-19, 05:59 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Regular Chevron is the best preventative

Originally Posted by leexed
I have from time to time poured at least 2 cans of Chevron fuel injector cleaner in a one eighth full tank of gasoline at different mileage periods with very good results. The cleaner is pretty concentrated while running thru the system. I have always noticed a performance improvement after refueling. This way there is no need to disconnect lines or relays. Probably a neglected system might need a heavier cleaning procedure, but this method worked for me.
I concur.
I've be using Techron by Chevron full cleaner version for decades in all my cars. I use one bottle every 3k miles or once a month when I fill them up with 93 octane since all my cars take premium gas. BTW it is the only fuel additive certified and tested by Mercedes for use in Mercedes. After I purchased the naughty SC430 I used a process similar to leexed's and now am using the bottle's discipline. Smoother running engine and 20% improvement in gas mileage over when I bought it.

If you have not been using it I suggest you try leexed's method for initial cleaning and then go to a normal routine as per the bottle instructions. No need for fancy gadgets or dubious products that resemble patent medicines in their claims.
The following users liked this post:
leexed (08-27-19)
Old 08-26-19, 07:13 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Techron works OK but is a very gentle cleaner. Studies show it does not do a great job breaking down heavy carbon even in concentration.

I use some MMO in every tank. It cleans well and acts as a upper engine lubricant. The price is cheap for a large bottle. Your talking $1.50 per tank. 1 bottle per 3 tanks. My philosophy is it is more effective to prevent the carbon from building up. Well at least what I can. The engine likes the combination. MMO is not snake oil. It's a combination of friction modifiers and cleaners in a base oil. Check out all the info on BTOG forums if interested. Interesting UOA's on the stuff.

It has some excellent uses and the price is hard to beat. I also use it help remove carbon in the engine. The last 500 miles before my oil change add 1/3 - 1/2 a quart to your oil. Works really well in every car I have used it in from old to new.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-26-19 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 07:39 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ivanj
I concur.
I've be using Techron by Chevron full cleaner version for decades in all my cars. I use one bottle every 3k miles or once a month when I fill them up with 93 octane since all my cars take premium gas. BTW it is the only fuel additive certified and tested by Mercedes for use in Mercedes. After I purchased the naughty SC430 I used a process similar to leexed's and now am using the bottle's discipline. Smoother running engine and 20% improvement in gas mileage over when I bought it.

If you have not been using it I suggest you try leexed's method for initial cleaning and then go to a normal routine as per the bottle instructions. No need for fancy gadgets or dubious products that resemble patent medicines in their claims.
Originally Posted by leexed
I was only sharing what I did...I was not stating this was the perfect way to perform fuel injector cleaning. If you take it to a shop, they will charge you $100-$150 to perform this procedure, which is more money than it cost me to purchase the equipment.

after I perform this procedure, I always run this Dyno to check my increased performance...y’all should pick one up!
its a must for anyone who uses fuel additives etc. ;-)
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=8
The following users liked this post:
Lavrishevo (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 10:59 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Two different uses - prefer to avoid problems

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Techron works OK but is a very gentle cleaner. Studies show it does not do a great job breaking down heavy carbon even in concentration.

I use some MMO in every tank. It cleans well and acts as a upper engine lubricant. The price is cheap for a large bottle. Your talking $1.50 per tank. 1 bottle per 3 tanks. My philosophy is it is more effective to prevent the carbon from building up. Well at least what I can. The engine likes the combination. MMO is not snake oil. It's a combination of friction modifiers and cleaners in a base oil. Check out all the info on BTOG forums if interested. Interesting UOA's on the stuff.

It has some excellent uses and the price is hard to beat. I also use it help remove carbon in the engine. The last 500 miles before my oil change add 1/3 - 1/2 a quart to your oil. Works really well in every car I have used it in from old to new.
Two different situations. Maintain a clean engine or clean up a sludged one.
Normal maintenance: If one uses top grade 93 octane gas (Mobil, Shell, etc.) and Techron from the get-go one does not need to remove heavy carbon deposits. They just don't build up. I'd also change to Mobil One 0-30 and change it at the 5k -7K mile intervals rather than 15k. This prevents the problem from occuring.

When I first got the SC I used a similar cleaning regimen to Bgw70 because I was comfortable with it. It worked and the smoothness and mileage improved considerably. It passed smog test with flying colors. Now I am into normal maintenance mode.

Heavy carbon: The dealers I speak to who use BG "as a part of normal service" use them on lease vehicles where the "owners" use regular gas or discount regular gas instead of premium and hence have "heavy carbon deposits." If one has these heavy deposits then one may need to use more drastic measures. The "owners" don't care that BG voids their warranty since they are always flipping their cars. The dealers actually hide the BG machines when the MB factory reps come by.

Good luck with your MMO. I'm glad it is not snake oil. So are the snakes.

Last edited by ivanj; 08-26-19 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaning on SC430