SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 05:34 PM
TexLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I did for my 05 sc430 Pebble Beach

I recently broke the antenna mast going through a car wash (not my brightest moment). So this weekend I took an OEM replacement antenna that I bought through Amazon and I replaced the bad one!

At first I thought it may be daunting and require a pro, but I found the following blog with step-by-step instructions and it worked like a charm! So $60 and about 5 minutes was all the investment needed!

http://alexlauerman.blogspot.com/201...placement.html
Old 03-21-16, 06:05 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wash and wax!!!

Oil change for my 03 a little top down ride later
Old 04-03-16, 10:56 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....I took it to the Geico Service Center, to have some hail damage inspection

......estimate totaled $1906
Old 04-03-16, 10:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

.....I had half of the claim inspectors to come by & just check out the car...lol
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (05-08-20)
Old 04-23-16, 01:21 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts
Default New radiator

Keeping up with the preventative maintenance on my 2004 SC430, today I replaced the radiator, lower hose and a few coolant bypass hoses by the throttle body. Also replaced the added external transmission magnetic filter. Interesting find on the old radiator. First it was a Koyo brand ( I used a Denso ), so I'm not sure if this was the factory original. Second, it was missing a bolt at the bottom that holds the fan assembly. And lastly, not all radiator leaks happen near the top, as shown in the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-dsc01290.jpg  
Old 04-24-16, 02:45 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

So glad you changed it now, that could have become a serious problem and left you stranded.
Old 04-24-16, 04:27 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
So glad you changed it now, that could have become a serious problem and left you stranded.
Most definitely. Overheats are not good with an all aluminum engine. I knew there was a slight coolant leak but it was very unusual. During the summer months, almost no loss. During the winter, there would be a 4+ ounce puddle under the car in the morning. Seems like during engine cooling past 40 degree ambient temps, the leak would occur. Well worth the $90 price of the new radiator.
Old 04-30-16, 03:45 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I had the SC professionally detailed today. I tried giving it a bath a couple weekends ago and found that there were several layers of uneven wax on it that I couldn't seem to get off properly. So I had it stripped down to the clear coat, claybarred, and then polished and waxed. Also had the headlights restored while I was at it.

Inside, I started working with Forever Black trim dye to restore some of the fading black, especially on the driver door. It was nearly white from arms rubbing on it. Hit the rubber gaskets on the roof as well. That rubber is starting to crumble a bit. Anyone have any experience with replacing them?

Last edited by Retroplay; 04-30-16 at 03:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Retroplay:
elibutton (07-31-21), TitanG545 (05-08-20)
Old 04-30-16, 03:54 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovely job!

Old 04-30-16, 04:22 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scarletti
Lovely job!

He did a great job on it. Next up is to get the interior leather redone. It's in terrible shape in some places. I am thinking I might as well have a recolor done since most of it will end up getting stripped, sanded, filled, and repainted anyway. I've been thinking about going with brown (a little more brown than the OEM saddle color.)
Old 04-30-16, 04:50 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my Tiger Eye Mica, 2007 SC 430 out of winter storage this morning. I'm always amazed that after siting in a cold barn for 6 months, I just cnnect the battery and turn the key and she fires right up. Adjusted the tire pressure and spent the rest of the day with my lovely lady of 40 years, driving around in the finger lakes area sampling the wonderful whines from our local upstate NY wineries. Life is good.
Old 04-30-16, 08:22 PM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....I took it to the Geico Service Center, to have some hail damage inspection
......estimate totaled $1906
Oh no, not the infamous Texas hail! Did you get it fixed yet? This spring has been miserable for dodging hail. I like that you got to show it off to the claims people, though!

Speaking of people liking our car, I drove through a local Chick-FIl-A about a month ago in mine, top down. The young girl who passed my food out to me said, "I just wanted to tell you that you have a really nice car!" It made me smile. She was young enough that she probably didn't know it's about 10 years old now. I love how it stands the test of time, at least IMO.
Old 04-30-16, 08:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by GXtoGStoLS
Oh no, not the infamous Texas hail! Did you get it fixed yet? This spring has been miserable for dodging hail. I like that you got to show it off to the claims people, though!

Speaking of people liking our car, I drove through a local Chick-FIl-A about a month ago in mine, top down. The young girl who passed my food out to me said, "I just wanted to tell you that you have a really nice car!" It made me smile. She was young enough that she probably didn't know it's about 10 years old now. I love how it stands the test of time, at least IMO.
...no I hadn't had it fixed yet. I thought I would wait until the rush is over, to get it done. I know most shops are packed at the moment and didn't want the job rushed, so they could get to the next car. I didn't get the large hail dents, so the smaller one's aren't as noticeable on the silver paint.....but trust me, it will get done soon...
Old 05-01-16, 03:41 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Added some USB ports.

I am ditching the ashtray and will be installing a panel in its place. So, I reused the cigarette lighter connector to get the 12V @ 15A.

I installed a a set of 18ga wires (yellow for 12V and black for negative.) Currently just spliced in with Butt connectors, but we'll solder them up and sheath them later.

The long wires are then T-Tapped for whatever I want to connect.

Currently I have two 12-5V modules. One is a dual USB charger and the other is a USB micro. With the T-Taps, I can disconnect them easily and swap them with something else if needed.

These are a PERFECT fit on the backside of that cross member.

I ziptied them to the cross member. The cross member has a top and bottom lip and these modules fit snuggly in between them. Can fit 2, possibly three if you cut off the screw mount flanges.

I haven't completed the panel yet. One USB is charging my phone, the other my tablet. The micro-USB is powering a mobile wifi hotspot. Each module can output up to 3A @ 5V

Coming up sometime in the near future, I have a 10A 5V module that I will be tying in to the main ACC line with an added fuse box and Battery UPS. This will be powering my carPC and planned accessories.
Old 05-01-16, 04:00 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I've been operating the radio behind the door entirely from the steering wheel controls for quite a while. If you hold down the MODE button, it will power on/off the radio. Instead of having the door button, I am looking into a mod to open the door automatically when the radio is turned on. If I tapped into the antenna remote line, that would be super simple, but it would open only when in radio mode, but not in tape or CD mode. Of course it wouldn't be that easy.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?