SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Latest on my Airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 02:03 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Since these dealer folks appear to be tools, I suggest that when you do take the car in for the airbag recall that you request the tech provide you two printed Vehicle Diagnostic Reports (shows scanned error codes) - one report from before the work and one report from after the work is performed. That way if they mess anything up and produce new error codes they can't say it was already an issue.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (12-07-16)
Old 12-02-16, 03:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That's a good suggestion.
Old 12-06-16, 01:29 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Since these dealer folks appear to be tools, I suggest that when you do take the car in for the airbag recall that you request the tech provide you two printed Vehicle Diagnostic Reports (shows scanned error codes) - one report from before the work and one report from after the work is performed. That way if they mess anything up and produce new error codes they can't say it was already an issue.
Too late... the car is already being fixed now at the dealer. So is this different than the check engine light that would light up when there is a problem? I have a ScanGauge that I can hook up, would this show the error code?

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-07-16, 12:29 PM
BCT
Advanced

Hey guys,
I am freaking out a bit here. They took the car in last Thursday for airbag recall. Was supposed to be fixed by Tuesday this week. It is now Thursday, and I called and they said they are trying to get it thru/process the warranty. Not sure when it will be done, maybe tomorrow.

Is this sounds right? I can not believe it takes that long to install new airbag. Maybe they screw something up, and having a hard time to fix it?

Thoughts? and thanks for letting me ranting here....

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-07-16, 01:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Hey guys,
I am freaking out a bit here. They took the car in last Thursday for airbag recall. Was supposed to be fixed by Tuesday this week. It is now Thursday, and I called and they said they are trying to get it thru/process the warranty. Not sure when it will be done, maybe tomorrow.

Is this sounds right? I can not believe it takes that long to install new airbag. Maybe they screw something up, and having a hard time to fix it?

Thanks
Chris
first, have you been enjoying the new Lexus they gave you to drive?
when you pick it up, the should be washed and the tank full, then go ahead and check all functionality of all systems. If you find any issues just show the service guy the videos/pictures you took before you dropped off the car.

check everything, missing screws, look under the dash, in the glovebox, AC, defrost, heater, radio, navigation, drive it around the parking lot before you sign anything and make sure no dash lights come on...I mean put it in gear, drive it and watch for lights.

i am sure they had to wait on parts...that is the reason it was there for a week.
let us know how it comes out.

what car did they give you to drive?
BCT (12-07-16)
Old 12-07-16, 02:23 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Hey guys,

Thanks
Chris
Hey Chris, Even the glove box method takes a long time. It may be they are juggling another repair. But its certainly not a "while you wait" repair.
BCT (12-07-16)
Old 12-07-16, 05:30 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgw70
first, have you been enjoying the new Lexus they gave you to drive?
when you pick it up, the should be washed and the tank full, then go ahead and check all functionality of all systems. If you find any issues just show the service guy the videos/pictures you took before you dropped off the car.

check everything, missing screws, look under the dash, in the glovebox, AC, defrost, heater, radio, navigation, drive it around the parking lot before you sign anything and make sure no dash lights come on...I mean put it in gear, drive it and watch for lights.

i am sure they had to wait on parts...that is the reason it was there for a week.
let us know how it comes out.

what car did they give you to drive?
Update:
Whew... I picked the car up at 6 PM today. So far so good, it is dark so I can not really see but a quick inspection, testing everything, and everything seems to be in good shape. I will inspect in a bit more detail tomorrow during the day. I do notice I have a small rattle somewhere inside the dash, and the rattle is now gone... yay... I was going to tear the dash over Christmas break, I guess I do not have to now. I am sure it is just something that was lose, and they tighten it.

Yes, they gave me a loaner, a GS 350 with 20K miles. Very nice car with huge GPS display. But it has a bulge/bump on the right driver side which make the leg room smaller, and drives me nut driving that car because my right leg keep rubbing this bump. I am glad to have my SC back. It may not be as new and high tech, but I love her.

Yes they clean the car on the inside and wash it. No gas fill up, oh well... I was not sure what kind of gas they would fill her up with, so I am kinda glad they did not fill up the gas.

UPDATE: One last update. I went thru the car the following day in the daylight. @Bgw70 advice is spot on. I notice that one of the plastic pin that is holding the glove box is not installed correctly, but everything else seems to be fine. I know these plastic pins because I replaced the cabin air filter a few weeks ago, and I personally put them back correctly. Easy fix, no need to take the car back to the dealer. Overall I am happy to finally have the car fixed. The local dealer has a passing grade. It took them several weeks since I told them that my car need airbag until they finish the job. They do have a nice facility and waiting room - nice place for the wife and kid to wait around while I deal with the service dept. They have some free snacks and drinks which we did take advantage.

Last edited by BCT; 12-10-16 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-07-16, 05:32 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Hey Chris, Even the glove box method takes a long time. It may be they are juggling another repair. But its certainly not a "while you wait" repair.
I know maybe I was just anxious, a bit more than I should. Tomorrow is our anniversary, and we have things planned, and the last thing I want to do is stopping by the dealer trying to get my car back. I am just glad to put this behind me. Thanks!
Old 12-07-16, 05:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Update:
Whew... I picked the car up at 6 PM today. So far so good, it is dark so I can not really see but a quick inspection, testing everything, and everything seems to be in good shape. I will inspect in a bit more detail tomorrow during the day. I do notice I have a small rattle somewhere inside the dash, and the rattle is now gone... yay... I was going to tear the dash over Christmas break, I guess I do not have to now. I am sure it is just something that was lose, and they tighten it.

Yes, they gave me a loaner, a GS 350 with 20K miles. Very nice car with huge GPS display. But it has a bulge/bump on the right driver side which make the leg room smaller, and drives me nut driving that car because my right leg keep rubbing this bump. I am glad to have my SC back. It may not be as new and high tech, but I love her.

Yes they clean the car on the inside and wash it. No gas fill up, oh well... I was not sure what kind of gas they would fill her up with, so I am kinda glad they did not fill up the gas.
all good news and I am so glad it all worked out!
thank you for the update and Happy Anniversary BCT!
Old 12-07-16, 05:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad everything turned out well BCT and happy anniversary.

(It is not unusual for shops to take longer than they originally estimated. Things come up that delay the work. Of course, other times, your worry would be justified...)
Old 12-12-16, 07:51 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Scheduled mine today

Sent an email to my Lexus dealer (2.5 hr drive from home) today to request having the recall done. Was told they will order parts and have them in 2-3 days. I'll be dropping off the SC at 09:00 this Friday (12/16) and picking up a loaner for a job that I'm told will take a full day. I'll let y'all know how this works out.

StillLine
Old 12-13-16, 07:19 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Sent an email to my Lexus dealer (2.5 hr drive from home) today to request having the recall done. Was told they will order parts and have them in 2-3 days. I'll be dropping off the SC at 09:00 this Friday (12/16) and picking up a loaner for a job that I'm told will take a full day. I'll let y'all know how this works out.

StillLine
Take pics of interior, especially around the glove box and center console area. Just so there is a record in case anything gets scratched up.
Old 12-13-16, 04:19 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by StillLine

StillLine
Based on my recent experience - you can read up several post above, I would do these if I have to do it all over again
1. Call and confirm that the parts are there before drive there. I went to the dealer ~30 min away just to be told, nope we do not have the parts yet. Call them every few days if the parts are not ready. I kinda forget about this due to work and family obligations, and did not check for several weeks. I started calling again, and apparently their order of the parts was cancelled, but noone knows what/why.
2. Take many pictures of interior. I also made a short video open and close the nav, radio, cup holder. I made it a point of telling the service advisor that the interior is in great shape, no scratch on the wood surface, and I expect to have it back that way. I mentioned this nicely, not trying to be an *** about it. He assured me that his best tech is on it.
3. Check the loaner before you drive off. My loaner, a brand new GS350 has empty gas tank - I did not figure this out until I arrived at home. Lucky I did not ran out of gas. Also it has a nice dent and scratch on the A pillar - look like something heavy fall into it, that I did not notice until later - I was afraid they might say I did this.
Old 12-15-16, 12:02 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Parts ready, pics/vids taken

I've taken several photos and made a few short videos documenting the condition and function of the interior. I called to verify there'll be no surprises tomorrow morning when I arrive after a 2.5 hour commute to the dealership. I was told that the parts are ready and a loaner vehicle is reserved and awaiting my arrival. I've removed all my personal belongings from the SC and I'm taking the title and all three keys with me just in case.
Old 12-16-16, 11:44 AM
BCT
Advanced

Look like you got a good plan. Good luck, and do not forget to grab some coffee and snacks at the dealer before you heading home!

Quick Reply: Latest on my Airbag recall