SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Latest on my Airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 12:49 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

I registered mine on the Lexus web site and never received a letter. Why do you need a letter when you can call the dealership and give them your VIN...if your car is included they will schedule you.

If the parts are back ordered, ask them for a rental or,
Ask them to disable the airbag or,
You can ask them to send a tow truck to pick up your car or,
You can just call them and have them check you VIN...OOPS, already covered that one.
Old 11-10-15, 01:28 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Do they provide the loan car only if you've already brought your car in and handed it over to be checked out or even if you call and have them check it by the VIN (and then bring the car in)?
Old 11-10-15, 01:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The recall notice in post three explains it...I believe it says, if the parts are back ordered, they will provide a rental up to 120 days and the dealer will be reimbersed up to $45 per day.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 01:16 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

That's a pretty good deal!
Old 12-23-15, 07:07 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any incidents occurring with our actual model airbag?

I share similar concerns with an earlier poster. Ive had nightmares with various Lexus dealers performing even minor repairs....from breaking interior pieces and leaving them broken, to door dings, all the way to actual deep white scratches in the roof (someone dragged an object across the roof and scratched the hell out of it)....most of these incidences occurred at JM Lexus (margate FL) or at Lexus of North Miami (the latter drove my car nearly 40 miles during a week-long service visit and I confronted the service manager about it and he just smirked and apologized and explained that the car needed to be road-tested. Are you kidding me???). Both are "Elite" dealers. I baby my sc430 and it's immaculate so when it gets damaged it clearly shows. I find it interesting that ALL of the airbag injuries were in Honda cars. Does anyone have any evidence that these airbags ever exploded in any Toyota or Lexus vehicles? Maybe Takata is recalling them to avoid bad press and in an "abundance of caution"? Im up in NY/NJ area now and terrified of bringing my baby in to a dealer to have any work done, let alone a procedure like this one. I also rarely have passengers in my car. I'd appreciate it if someone could post some info demonstrating cases where our actual airbag model was faulty. Thanks!
Old 12-25-15, 07:26 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007sc430
I share similar concerns with an earlier poster. Ive had nightmares with various Lexus dealers performing even minor repairs....from breaking interior pieces and leaving them broken, to door dings, all the way to actual deep white scratches in the roof (someone dragged an object across the roof and scratched the hell out of it)....most of these incidences occurred at JM Lexus (margate FL) or at Lexus of North Miami (the latter drove my car nearly 40 miles during a week-long service visit and I confronted the service manager about it and he just smirked and apologized and explained that the car needed to be road-tested. Are you kidding me???). Both are "Elite" dealers. I baby my sc430 and it's immaculate so when it gets damaged it clearly shows. I find it interesting that ALL of the airbag injuries were in Honda cars. Does anyone have any evidence that these airbags ever exploded in any Toyota or Lexus vehicles? Maybe Takata is recalling them to avoid bad press and in an "abundance of caution"? Im up in NY/NJ area now and terrified of bringing my baby in to a dealer to have any work done, let alone a procedure like this one. I also rarely have passengers in my car. I'd appreciate it if someone could post some info demonstrating cases where our actual airbag model was faulty. Thanks!
we Americans have obsession for 'safety'

can the airbags be disconnected/unhooked?
Old 12-26-15, 02:01 PM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JDaveSC430
great news; glad it's done. where in NC are you and which dealer? I use Hendricks Charlotte as I'm in the Lake Norman area.
Hey JDave, Lake Norman did mine and gave me great service. The antenna was broken at the wash and they scheduled a repair immediately and provided another loaner (Rx). Only wish I could afford to do business with them!!
Old 12-26-15, 03:36 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer Flub

The person who recently sold me the 2003 had recently had the airbag recall issue resolved at the nearby Lexus dealership.

When I came to look at the car, as a prospective buyer, I couldn't help noticing that the airbag light on the dash remained ON. The seller said "Oh, that means that the airbag is working". NOT !

I explained to the seller that the light was supposed to stay lit for only about 8 seconds after starting, after which it was supposed to go out. The seller went right back to the dealer the next day to have it corrected.

Can you imagine that they would give the car back to the owner with the light still on???
Old 12-28-15, 07:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
The person who recently sold me the 2003 had recently had the airbag recall issue resolved at the nearby Lexus dealership.

When I came to look at the car, as a prospective buyer, I couldn't help noticing that the airbag light on the dash remained ON. The seller said "Oh, that means that the airbag is working". NOT !

I explained to the seller that the light was supposed to stay lit for only about 8 seconds after starting, after which it was supposed to go out. The seller went right back to the dealer the next day to have it corrected.

Can you imagine that they would give the car back to the owner with the light still on???
That was a technician who just doesn't care!
Old 01-06-16, 05:34 PM
dommo25
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After putting it off for a couple of months (and double-checking with dealer that mine was definitely on "the list"), I took the plunge and booked it in. I think I nearly spat my coffee when they said they'd need it for 3 days (as opposed to letter and marketing blurb stating 5hrs max).
Explanation for revised timeframe was "big job", "can't be rushed", etc., which only made me more nervous.

Long story short; all good. Gave the car a thorough check before driving it off the lot. Everything works ... so far, no interior scratches or worse ... that I can see. They did somehow manage to scrape and dent one of the exhaust tips. Must have backed it over or onto something . To use an Australianism, "fair dinkum" - is it too much to expect your car will be handed back without damage of some kind or other?

The courtesy replacement vehicle for the 3 days was the IS300h. Yeah, nice - smooth and quiet, economical, all the mod cons, but ... I dunno ... doesn't have the soul or personality of my 12 year old SC430.
Old 01-08-16, 04:24 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Glad that you got it done and they did a good job on it (though not so much on the exhaust tips...).
Old 02-04-16, 05:57 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the recall done also. They were out of loaner car but were nice enough to give me the full tank of gas.
Old 02-04-16, 03:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I heard today the Takata Air Bag recall is expanding again. So far the SC430 is the only Lexus involved, 2002-2007, several Toyota models are involved but they all stop with the 2007 model year. I wonder if Toyota stopped using Takata that year.

Honda (Acura RL) has the recall going all the way up to 2016!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/
Old 06-15-16, 01:10 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So here is the latest on my airbag recall. After all these years of waiting I got a call from the Lexus dealer here in Rochester informing me that the parts are in and that they would like to schedule the airbag replacement. I have an appointment for July 5. Am I right that the recall provides a loner? Also I believe that they are now going through the glove box rather than removing the dash. Is this correct? I plan on taking pictures off my interior with the service rep presentrhanks just for insurance. Thanks to all of you for being supportive of me during this process. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-15-16, 03:43 PM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

Jumping in to say Thank you for this great info. I have been procrastinating. Called Lexus of Rockville today and could not even get anyone to answer. Got transferred to the Director of Parts and Service, no answer, left a VM, and 5 hrs later have received no return call. Try again tomorrow.

6/15 7:20pm: Director left a message. He called again on 6/16. So all good. Now I just have to get back to it.

Last edited by genec220; 06-21-16 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Additional info

Quick Reply: Latest on my Airbag recall