SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replaced headlight and now car won't start- please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 04:42 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Brother Lex,
Do not take this the wrong way because I am not trying to be mean but do not attempt a timing belt change without someone who has done this procedure a few times. I did a write up on my timing belt change but let me tell you, this car was the most difficult I have ever done.

I think this was the 12th timing belt change I have done and would not want to do it again.

As for the crankshaft / harmonic balancer bolt, it has nothing to do with the belt jumping one notch.

Besides, we are only guessing the belt jumped timing...
You are not a not being mean but I fact this helps me make an informed decision. So, just to be clear there is no way to adjust the timing without going through the entire belt change procedure? I can't just take off timing belt covers and adjust as well as the mark indicated in the video? Can't just loosen that big bolt and line up white mark??
Old 09-17-15, 05:33 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
You are not a not being mean but I fact this helps me make an informed decision. So, just to be clear there is no way to adjust the timing without going through the entire belt change procedure? I can't just take off timing belt covers and adjust as well as the mark indicated in the video? Can't just loosen that big bolt and line up white mark??
You are correct, the belt must physically be adjusted and if that is the problem, everything should be changed.

Again, how many miles are on this engine?
Old 09-18-15, 04:42 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct, the belt must physically be adjusted and if that is the problem, everything should be changed.

Again, how many miles are on this engine?
The engine has 91k miles. It looks great and was running like a monster before this happened. It's also very clean on the exterior and the throttle body is carbon free.

Some good news yesterday. The adjuster finally called me back (after 2 months). He said he is going to try to help with the charges for unauthorized repairs and the engine problem. Wish me luck! Feeling a little better now because I don't think I will have to get rid of her :-)
Old 09-18-15, 06:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Now that is some good news!
Hopefully they will pay you the $2k and stand by the warranty!
Old 09-18-15, 07:53 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Now that is some good news!
Hopefully they will pay you the $2k and stand by the warranty!
Eventually something good has to happen. The string of bad events is unreal..
Old 09-19-15, 06:58 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Any update? I've been following this sad saga with much sympathy for you.

Most of what is going on is beyond my pay grade, but from a logical point of view, I have to think it has something to do with the intake work you did. Yes, the timing belt could have coincidentally become a problem at the exact same time as the intake work, but it seems more likely that there is a link between the intake work and the problem.

Regardless what it is, hope you get a handle on it. You have been through way too much!
Old 09-20-15, 11:59 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Crankshaft bullet bolt loose??!

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Any update? I've been following this sad saga with much sympathy for you.

Most of what is going on is beyond my pay grade, but from a logical point of view, I have to think it has something to do with the intake work you did. Yes, the timing belt could have coincidentally become a problem at the exact same time as the intake work, but it seems more likely that there is a link between the intake work and the problem.

Regardless what it is, hope you get a handle on it. You have been through way too much!
Have the shop repair manual and have tested each possible reason, except for bad timing or bad Ecu, in the book for the random misfire. So today I tried to adjust the timing (see prior video) so that the white mark lines up with zero.

Will admit this is way beyond my ability. I went to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt it was not hard at all to move either clockwise or counterclockwise? Isn't that bolt supposed to be very tight? Am I missing something?

Adjusted the mark to align with zero, but once I started the car it moved again??

Sigh...I'm probably not understanding something simple, and once I get volume to of the shop manual can get more transparency...

But how and why would that bolt be so easy to rotate? Wtf?
Old 09-21-15, 12:53 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tread carefully here. Yes, the crankshaft bolt should require major effort, including holding the harmonic damper while you crank on the crankbolt with a mighty long breaker bar, or using a mega impact wrench (but you'd probably have to pull the radiator to get the room).

but this next part is important: Are you 'aligning' marks by a socket on the crankbolt? Or are you able to turn the harmonic damper directly(pulley that the serpentine belt runs on), without moving the crankshaft? Are you saying that the harmonic damper is loose and turns on the crankshaft?? Can you grab it and turn it easily without feeling resistance from engine compression???????

Last edited by kjcole; 09-21-15 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 01:24 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kjcole
Tread carefully here. Yes, the crankshaft bolt should require major effort, including holding the harmonic damper while you crank on the crankbolt with a mighty long breaker bar, or using a mega impact wrench (but you'd probably have to pull the radiator to get the room).

but this next part is important: Are you 'aligning' marks by a socket on the crankbolt? Or are you able to turn the harmonic damper directly(pulley that the serpentine belt runs on), without moving the crankshaft? Are you saying that the harmonic damper is loose and turns on the crankshaft?? Can you grab it and turn it easily without feeling resistance from engine compression???????
When I use my wrench to turn the cranshaft bolt, the entire pulley (pulley that the serpentine belt runs on) assembly turns fairly easily. Is it supposed to do that? I'm not holding the harmonic dampener while I turn the bolt. I think I just answer my question..
Old 09-21-15, 02:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

When I use my wrench to turn the cranshaft bolt, the entire pulley (pulley that the serpentine belt runs on) assembly turns fairly easily. Is it supposed to do that? I'm not holding the harmonic dampener while I turn the bolt. I think I just answer my question..
Lex, do not loosen the bolt! That is not how you check or adjust the timing belt.
I believe the bolt has about 180ft lbs of torque on it. You will not be able to loosen it and you do not want to loosen it.
I posted a link to my timing belt change and you must check the belt position on the crank and the two cam sprockets or pulleys.
Old 09-21-15, 02:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Lex, see post 75 for the link
Old 09-21-15, 05:59 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Lex, see post 75 for the link
Will be the first to admit I'm way out of my league here. Viewed numerous videos indicating that the crankshaft bolt is really tough to get off. So when I went to (incorrectly) adjust, it was fairly loose. But I was just turning the harmonic dampener along with the bolt. That is, the pulley driving the serpentine belt moved with the crankshaft bolt. Is it supposed to do that?

Should I turn it clockwise until I feel more tension?

I'm hoping the insurance will come through, otherwise will hire idependent. In the meantime I'm going to get my Ecu checked with the help of another CL member to at least rule out a bad Ecu.

The saga continues..
Old 09-22-15, 02:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Will be the first to admit I'm way out of my league here. Viewed numerous videos indicating that the crankshaft bolt is really tough to get off. So when I went to (incorrectly) adjust, it was fairly loose. But I was just turning the harmonic dampener along with the bolt. That is, the pulley driving the serpentine belt moved with the crankshaft bolt. Is it supposed to do that?

Should I turn it clockwise until I feel more tension?

The saga continues..
The Harmonic Dampner is mounted on the crankshaft and held in place with a bolt. The Dampner is "keyed" to the crankshaft, meaning it will only fit one way.
The Dampner had drive belts on it and you can see them, but the Dampner has nothing to do with driving the timing belt because there is a sprocket located on the same crankshaft but behind a cover that drives the timing belt.

To adjust the timing belt, all of the many covers must be removed.

Only turn the Dampner bolt clockwise and you can turn it all day long. You will be turning the crankshaft and the all of the internal engine components, as you do this, you should periodically feel more tension which is due to a piston being on a compression stroke.

At this point, checking the Ecu is a good idea, but after that take it to a good mechanic.
Also, if the timing belt did jump timing, and you try to start it again, and it jumps another tooth, you have a good chance of smashing a piston into a valve...

These a "interference engines". Google that one and you will find plenty of info.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-15, 04:38 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

The Harmonic Dampner is mounted on the crankshaft and held in place with a bolt. The Dampner is "keyed" to the crankshaft, meaning it will only fit one way.
The Dampner had drive belts on it and you can see them, but the Dampner has nothing to do with driving the timing belt because there is a sprocket located on the same crankshaft but behind a cover that drives the timing belt.

To adjust the timing belt, all of the many covers must be removed.

Only turn the Dampner bolt clockwise and you can turn it all day long. You will be turning the crankshaft and the all of the internal engine components, as you do this, you should periodically feel more tension which is due to a piston being on a compression stroke.

At this point, checking the Ecu is a good idea, but after that take it to a good mechanic.
Also, if the timing belt did jump timing, and you try to start it again, and it jumps another tooth, you have a good chance of smashing a piston into a valve...

These a "interference engines". Google that one and you will find plenty of info.

Hope this helps.
Wow thanks for the clarification. This helps a lot!
Old 09-22-15, 06:49 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BGW70 - good explanation!!

LexBrett. I only suggested a timing problem based on the fact that the car was misfiring and shaking so badly. Actually checking that the belt hadn't jumped requires a fair bit of disassembly, and good knowledge of compression vs exhaust strokes in order to tind top-dead-center for timing.

There are some sensors/actuators(?) related to controlling the variable valve timing that are accessible from the front of the engine (one on each side). Not sure if they would cause the symptoms you describe if one went south. There are a few threads here, but can't remember what the parts are called.

Honestly, at this point I'd get it towed to somewhere you trust and get a clean diagnosis not based on the assumption that you did something while changing out the headlight.

Quick Reply: Replaced headlight and now car won't start- please help!!