SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air Bags again

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 06:14 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air Bags again

Yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the Lexus Division of Toyota USA. The letter informed me of an air bag recal on my 2007 SC430. It stated that I will be notified by mail when the parts to fix the problem will be available at my local Lexus dealer. I have two questions for you guys who keep on top of these things. What took them so long to identify the problem on our cars? Have any of you had this recall done, and how did it turn out? I am conserved about having my pristine interior compromised.
Old 08-08-15, 08:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Many of the older SCs have already been identified and the inflators have been replaced. This recall continues to expand and Takata must really be taking it in the shorts. This recall is much bigger than Toyota.

Initially they were only recalling cars that lived in the the south at any time. It had to do with heat damage to the airbag inflators.

I had the work performed by Lexus of Melbourne, Fl. They did a fantastic job and damaged nothing. They have done many cars and have a select team of four technicians that do the work.

The recall procedure calls for the removal of the dash, but this dealer and several others access the inflator from underneath the passenger side of the dash and the dash is never removed.

I have seen more damage reports coming from people who live in the North. I would guess to say that the damage is caused by technicians who have very little experience with this recall and they are doing it by the book. Which means they are removing the dash, it is a huge job.

If you are lucky enough to be a snowbird, have the work performed by a dealer in the south.
Still, ask them how they remove the inflator, if they have a special team, about how many have been completed, do they have many complaints.
Also, take a video of all dash mechanical and electrical operations before they begin the work and offer to show that video to the service person. Things to include should be, no dash lights, radio, GPS, AC/Heater, no broken vents, glovebox, and radio and GPS door operation.CYA.

Hope this helps. ;-)

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-08-15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 10:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Mine went well and without a hitch. It was one of the early ones but not the first. (I have a 2002 and I'm in the south.)

I agree with Bgw's suggestions and have a couple.
Make sure that the service adviser knows that you have heard that there have been problems with the replacement with other owners on the forum. Ask him if he can get his best technician working on it.
Before agreeing to bring in your car, check to see how many replacements that they've done. (Don't let yours be the first/experimental one.)
Let them know that you've heard about the process in the south of replacing it without tearing into the dash and ask if they are going to do it that way and if not, why not.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-08-15, 10:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The service guy gave me a choice of an SUV or four door sedan, ES, and he asked me how much gas was in my car, he added that a fill up was part of the recall and funded by Lexus, not the dealer. They also washed it for me!

I know, killer run on sentence!
Old 08-08-15, 03:30 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

I am a snowbird, wintering in Naples Fl. I unfortunately I store the SC430 up here in Rochester for the winter. I will question the Lexus dealer up here about their ability to performe the recall without destroying my interior. To tell the truth I am concerned about getting this work performed here in Rochester where I seldom see another SC430.
Old 08-08-15, 09:59 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I got my airbag recall done a few weeks back - later than many others cos I have a 2005 and I am registered in NJ. But I drive the car in GA a lot and the work was done by a GA dealer. Told them I knew of some horror stories of damage done to the interior, showed the service adviser my interior and asked him to note any existing damage ( there was none ). It's a guy I worked with before so I thought I could trust him. Was right - the car came back with zero damage - no cosmetic scratches, nothing. SA said he got a master tech to do the work. Pretty satisfied with the result.
Old 08-09-15, 05:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OBP
I got my airbag recall done a few weeks back - later than many others cos I have a 2005 and I am registered in NJ. But I drive the car in GA a lot and the work was done by a GA dealer. Told them I knew of some horror stories of damage done to the interior, showed the service adviser my interior and asked him to note any existing damage ( there was none ). It's a guy I worked with before so I thought I could trust him. Was right - the car came back with zero damage - no cosmetic scratches, nothing. SA said he got a master tech to do the work. Pretty satisfied with the result.
Since you had a good experience, please post the dealers name, if you had a bad experience you could just say that you would not or could not recommend a particular dealer.

By doing this, you will help other members.
Old 08-09-15, 05:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
I am a snowbird, wintering in Naples Fl. I unfortunately I store the SC430 up here in Rochester for the winter. I will question the Lexus dealer up here about their ability to performe the recall without destroying my interior. To tell the truth I am concerned about getting this work performed here in Rochester where I seldom see another SC430.
You could always wait until you come down to Florida this winter. While you are here you could drive over to the East coast and have the work done at Lexus of Melbourne...
Old 08-09-15, 06:24 AM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Since you had a good experience, please post the dealers name, if you had a bad experience you could just say that you would not or could not recommend a particular dealer.

By doing this, you will help other members.
Nalley Lexus Galleria, Smyrna GA
Old 08-09-15, 08:33 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Bgw70' ya I could do that, but I've been storing the SC430 up here for the winter and driving the van to Naples. Now if you could convince my wife that we should buy a place rather than leasing I would bring the Lexus down there. I also have a 1987 Allante that I would love to keep in Florida.
Old 08-11-15, 10:00 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
OBP who was your service adviser at Nalley Galleria?
Old 08-11-15, 05:18 PM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by mandyfig
OBP who was your service adviser at Nalley Galleria?
Sending you a PM