SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My WiFi Screen Mirroring Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 10:19 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default My WiFi Screen Mirroring Build

So after some discussion on another thread, I've decided to start a build on wireless screen mirroring from my phone. I currently have a HTC One M8 with Andrioid 4.4.4 running Cyanogenmod. I Used the screen cast feature on my friends SmartTV to play Youtube videos, home videos, etc. It was pretty neat. After some research, I found a product that I will try to showcase on this thread and report my results. I've listed the item below and have just ordered it. I do know that anyone that follows this thread will either need a newer headunit with video capability,or since I've kept my OEM radio (due to it's aesthetics) I'm already using NavIKS (similar to NavTool) for my main video integration. I will also use my already installed VaisTech SL3U for the audio output. Should be interesting. As planned, I should be able to mirror cast my phone's screen to the OEM Nav Screen. This would allow me to get live time GPS, play streaming video, etc all through WiFi rather than hard wire connections. I will continue to update this thread as things come together. To see my other Media Build please check out the link below.

Boss Audio WiFi Mirror Unit
http://www.bossaudio.com/auto/car-sc...audio-bvml500/

DVDNav Media Integration with Backup Camera
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...on-naviks.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-06-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 10:56 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on pretty similar project but allowable time wise you are ahead. I can't wait the result from yours if there is no lag playing with bluetooth audio and video mirroring, meaning will the video and audio be synchronized?
Old 07-06-15, 11:33 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Yeah, when I started putting pen to paper to plan my install scheme, I decided rather than run a dedicated audio cable into the SL3U that I will use my Arion/EagleTech Bluetooth as the dedicated device for audio from my phone. I do know that in the past with my last phone (Samsung Nexus 4G) when I played video to a screen using bluetooth audio there was a sync delay between the words and the audio track (ie. mouth would move a millisecond or two before voice playback). I hope that with the better technology these days, this has improved but who knows. I'm also sure there are some media player apps out there that allow you to speed up the audio track (similar to an option of VLC player for computers) Worst case scenario, I hardwire the audio which shouldn't have any lag from all my previous experiences. I will reports back.
Old 07-06-15, 11:48 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome idea. I believe the term Android uses for this is "Miracast".

However, in my experience with a big-screen TV, the Miracast has lagged significantly on my specific device/TV combo, making it unusable for quality video.

I am looking forward to hearing about your results!
Old 07-07-15, 01:00 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So after some discussion on another thread, I've decided to start a build on wireless screen mirroring from my phone. I currently have a HTC One M8 with Andrioid 4.4.4 running Cyanogenmod. I Used the screen cast feature on my friends SmartTV to play Youtube videos, home videos, etc. It was pretty neat. After some research, I found a product that I will try to showcase on this thread and report my results. I've listed the item below and have just ordered it. I do know that anyone that follows this thread will either need a newer headunit with video capability,or since I've kept my OEM radio (due to it's aesthetics) I'm already using NavIKS (similar to NavTool) for my main video integration. I will also use my already installed VaisTech SL3U for the audio output. Should be interesting. As planned, I should be able to mirror cast my phone's screen to the OEM Nav Screen. This would allow me to get live time GPS, play streaming video, etc all through WiFi rather than hard wire connections. I will continue to update this thread as things come together. To see my other Media Build please check out the link below.

Boss Audio WiFi Mirror Unit
http://www.bossaudio.com/auto/car-sc...audio-bvml500/

DVDNav Media Integration with Backup Camera
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...on-naviks.html
Are you going to do the mirroring with the naviks mirroring tool? that is what I did
Old 07-07-15, 07:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Are you going to do the mirroring with the naviks mirroring tool? that is what I did
LexBrett, I thought about the NAVIKS one but i don't believe it works via wifi, right? How did your build turn out? Are you happy with the results?

Update: I found the wifi one, but it's out of my budget. So I will try with this one first. I will say that I am very happy with NavIKS products so I do wish I had stayed with them.
Old 07-08-15, 06:04 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
LexBrett, I thought about the NAVIKS one but i don't believe it works via wifi, right? How did your build turn out? Are you happy with the results?

Update: I found the wifi one, but it's out of my budget. So I will try with this one first. I will say that I am very happy with NavIKS products so I do wish I had stayed with them.
Hey Buddy,
Yes NAVIKS makes a mirroring device. You have to buy this in addition to the regular NAVIKS. It works very nice, but the only limitation is that you cannot be running any other wifi or bluetooth devices because they will interfere with the reception. I ran my device into the cabin to optimize reception but you don't necessarily need to that. Let me know if you need help buying the correct device and or install!!

By the way, It is a very fun device! Here are some things I have used it for:

1. With my daughter and finance, watch videos on youtube, primarily Shakira.
2. Played resident evil 4.
3. Use my "fart" app very loud to annoy my neighbors.
4. Play pandora wirelessly.
5. Checked work email..
6. Used "siri" to check weather.

Def a great toy/gadget..
Old 07-08-15, 04:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

And no Waze app?
It's almost better than an illegal radar detector in Va. ;-)
Old 07-08-15, 06:33 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
And no Waze app?
It's almost better than an illegal radar detector in Va. ;-)
Tell me more. Is that the app that reports observed radar traps??
Old 07-08-15, 06:56 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Tell me more. Is that the app that reports observed radar traps??
Oh yes! I have been using Waze for over two years now and it is controlled by the users! I have mentioned it before but not many seem interested, why I do not know....
Give it a try!
It will report
Police,
Traffic
Accidents
Breakdowns
It will also reroute you if there is a problem...

BTW, it is FREE
Old 07-12-15, 03:23 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Ok, so I got my Boss Unit BVML500 this weekend and tested it on my TV to find out its limits and capabilities. Good news, it will work with any phone or tablet that does allow Screen Casting/Mirroring. This includes most current day iPhones and Android products. I tested it using my HTC One M8 running Cyanogenmod Android 4.4.4 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 running Cyanogenmod Android 5.0.2. I ran it will multiple scenarios and with my setup and both the HTC and Samsung I was able to keep internet connection through WiFi and even through 4G. Video was cast properly and even with great HD resolution, including YouTube and Netflix (i believe Apple products are restricted from streaming these services unless they are jailbroken devices). Of course, this resolution would be limited by the screen that would plays the video (ie. our NAV Screen wouldn't play 1080p at 1080p, but it would be nice resolution regardless).

Now for the bad news, as I proposed previously I was right that there is a delay in audio and video sync. This means that as the character speaks works on screen, the audio is slightly delayed. This shouldn't be a problem with GPS apps such as GoogleMaps, Waze, etc. Another issue that will cause me to change my setup is that when the phone/tablet is connected to the Boss Unit one cannot stream the audio to a bluetooth device. Which was my original plan but I guess this can be solved by a hardwire connection into my VaisTech SL3U Aux device. This means that all audio will play through the Boss Unit when screen casting is activated. I will update more as my project proceeds.

LexBrett, I believe the problem you have with interference when running Bluetooth or WiFi might be limitations of the phone running multiple antennae (WiFi, Bluetooth, Phone Service, Data Service, etc). I ran mine with multiple things running, and video played without skips but audio was always delayed even with all other services off.

Upon reading more on the installation guide, "For iOS users: The BVML500 works on Wi-Di P2P Technology, once connected to a Wi-Di network you cannot connect to another Wi-Fi network, if you are streaming media it does require an additional 3G/LTE data network connection from your device. Data charges may apply." This means that if you are using an Apple product you won't be able to use Wi-Fi connection while screen casting. Sorry iPeople. Looks like Android will not have this problem, as I tested it and had positive results (except for the audio sync matching up with on screen spoken words).

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-12-15 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 08:43 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Oh yes! I have been using Waze for over two years now and it is controlled by the users! I have mentioned it before but not many seem interested, why I do not know....
Not to hijack the thread but......

While Waze works great, the problem is that to install it, you must give Waze the right to access all the contacts in your phone without any limitation on what they can do (now or later) with that information and access. See link here.
Old 07-12-15, 10:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Not to hijack the thread but......

While Waze works great, the problem is that to install it, you must give Waze the right to access all the contacts in your phone without any limitation on what they can do (now or later) with that information and access. See link here.
Thanks for the update Johnny! I guess I will not update my Waze software until they change their policy!

Actually, I checked my Waze app and it is the most current version and the access to my contacts are turned off...

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-13-15 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 04:30 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

FYI If you are running any other Bluetooth or wifi device concurrently with your mirroring, reception and quality will be severely limited..
Old 07-15-15, 11:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

LexBrett, I have a quick question. With your NAVIKS unit, are you able to screen cast but channel the sound to a separate Bluetooth device, like a headset? Or does all the sound go through the NAVIKS unit regardless of whether or not the Bluetooth device is connected. (ie. please connect your bluetooth to a device (headset, etc), watch a video so sound comes through the bluetooth device, then activate screen cast and see where the sound plays). I would really appreciate it. This will help me determine how to approach my wiring.

Quick Reply: My WiFi Screen Mirroring Build