SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Coilovers for SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 12:48 PM
Roho
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I just took her on the first high speed interstate drive since installing the D2 coilovers and new alignment and I must say, WOW, What a difference in handling. The car was so solid up to the century mark! Before I had some sway and wonder, but not anymore. In addition, coleroad suggested I have the rear toe set to .08. The mechanic set it to .07 and I am sure this had something to do with the handling. This is by far the best the car has felt in the 1.5 yrs of my ownership.
i love it!

BTW, I purchased the D2s from JM Auto Racing. He is a sponsor here on CL. Very knowledgeable and professional!!! He asked me several questions about how the car is used and what kind of ride I would like before he made a suggestion. They also have extremely fast shipping! The order actually shipped the same day of my order! Five Stars JM.
Hey bgw70, I have questions about your set up.
it's been a while since you got your coilovers, how are they holding up?
Please help me on this, (if you can) how low can you go on your coilovers before you start having weird tire wear or have to install adjusting arms or top plates etc. to adjust and get the suspension to stay low and normal tire wear?
I'm selling a set of wheels to be able to get coilovers and want to get parts ready to dial it in to prevent short tire life.
thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-18, 01:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Roho
Hey bgw70, I have questions about your set up.
it's been a while since you got your coilovers, how are they holding up?
Please help me on this, (if you can) how low can you go on your coilovers before you start having weird tire wear or have to install adjusting arms or top plates etc. to adjust and get the suspension to stay low and normal tire wear?
I'm selling a set of wheels to be able to get coilovers and want to get parts ready to dial it in to prevent short tire life.
thanks in advance.
so far, no issues with the D2 coil overs. They have 30+ click settings from firm to really firm. I keep them at five or less clicks toward the less firm.

They are still a tight ride, more than OEM shocks. If there is a bump in the road you will feel it but the tires will always stay planted on the pavement. That is the plus, you feel the road and always have excellent control in turns, bumps etc.

Do I wish I could make it softer, yes, a little. But since we have two SC430s, one is the quiet, refined, cruising SC (2007) and the SC (2002) is the louder with removed resonators, coilover, poly urethane bushing car that’s fun to drive in a very spirited way.

The upper control arms are aftermarket, along with the rear lower control arm extenders, both SPC.

The caster was out of spec on the front and not adjustable so I purchased the SPC upper control arms allowing the caster adjustment.

when I installed the coil overs, the car was lowered about an inch which required the SPC rear lower control arm extenders. My rear camber is less than .05 degrees from 0. I wanted no tire wear.

hope this helps.

Old 06-08-18, 02:02 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

To add to bgw, you need to make sure you get the toe set correctly. Camber gets all the talk, but toe being off will wear your tires even faster. With his poly bushes up front, less you was put in it. This is because the toe doesn't change as much as with the factory bushes. If the bushes are worn out. set the alignment all you want, but under driving load it will still be off.
That said you need to find an alignment shop that will set it to a tight specification like bgw has.
Old 06-13-18, 08:47 AM
Coleroad
Racer

I was going to install them myself but just didn't feel up to it today, so I decided to let my mechanic handle the job...not sure how much, but he is always really easy on me!

one of my questions is answered by the pictures. That being, do they have separate ride height, and spring preload. Because it has three locking collars that would be a yes. My other question then is, do you have to remove the bottom eye bolt to adjust ride height?
Old 06-13-18, 09:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad

one of my questions is answered by the pictures. That being, do they have separate ride height, and spring preload. Because it has three locking collars that would be a yes. My other question then is, do you have to remove the bottom eye bolt to adjust ride height?
hopefully, this will answer your questions...it’s the FAQs on the D2 website.
https://www.d2racing.com/faq/
Old 06-13-18, 09:48 AM
Coleroad
Racer

hopefully, this will answer your questions...it’s the FAQs on the D2 website.
https://www.d2racing.com/faq/
yes, that's kind of vague. I knew you turn the lower mount. It doesn't state if just the outer tube turns independent, or if the lower eye turns with the tube Like a regular shock does. I guess I'll have to contact them then.
Old 06-13-18, 10:04 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad

yes, that's kind of vague. I knew you turn the lower mount. It doesn't state if just the outer tube turns independent, or if the lower eye turns with the tube Like a regular shock does. I guess I'll have to contact them then.

this might be better