Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 06:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430

Just a heads up for my fellow SC folks.

You can check if your car is part of this recall by entering your VIN at this site: http://www.toyota.com/recall

02'-04' is nationwide

05'-07' is regional
Attached Thumbnails Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430-airbag.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 06-10-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 10:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Takata airbag recall

Hey guys,

Just a heads up. I was trying to find out if the LS430 is included in the recall and I was told it was not at this time but the SC430 does have the issue. I was not given any year info. If you live in a hot humid climate I would get this looked at ASAP. Living in a humid climate apparently greatly increases the risk of the module exploding.

As far as we are aware the inflator module recall is only of the SC430 lexus vehicles at this time.

Colby Willis
Assistant Service Manager
LEXUS SOUTH ATLANTA

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-20-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 10:58 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks. Sorry about the wrong section. Realized that after the fact. Looks like 01-05 are affected. I would think the same parts are in the LS430 but I guess not.
Old 05-20-15, 01:26 PM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per info on Fox News, I went to " a safer car.gov " and put in the VIN for my 2002 SC430 and found it is subject to the Takata air bag recall.
I called the nearest Lexus dealer about 2 hours ago, and was shocked to find that I could get an appointment tomorrow morning at 8:30. The service rep says it will take about an hour and a half for the fix.

Mike

PS I also have an LS430 ( 2002 ). The VIN for it indicates that it is not subject to this recall.
Old 05-20-15, 01:42 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefromnc
Per info on Fox News, I went to " a safer car.gov " and put in the VIN for my 2002 SC430 and found it is subject to the Takata air bag recall.
I called the nearest Lexus dealer about 2 hours ago, and was shocked to find that I could get an appointment tomorrow morning at 8:30. The service rep says it will take about an hour and a half for the fix.

Mike

PS I also have an LS430 ( 2002 ). The VIN for it indicates that it is not subject to this recall.
Mike, let us know how it goes and make sure you look everything over very well before you accept the car. Before you turn the car in, make sure the service guy notes that you do not have any CEL illuminated. Also, when you pick up the car, try to be there when they drive the car around. Have them keep the engine running so you can verify no VSC off lights are on...
Trust me...do what I say or you may be arguing with them after you drive off and the lights come on...
Also, really check the work, look under the dash, look behind the glove box. Ask them what they are going to do before you leave then check everything. Take pictures of the area they are going to touch and let them see you doing it.

I say all of this because there are threads on here about bad experiences with this recall.

Good luck and let us know!
Old 05-20-15, 03:47 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good info BGW! I am taking mine in the AM as well and was at least planning on snapping a pic of the dash area on my cell before turning it over to them. I have heard of dashes getting cracked etc...

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Mike, let us know how it goes and make sure you look everything over very well before you accept the car. Before you turn the car in, make sure the service guy notes that you do not have any CEL illuminated. Also, when you pick up the car, try to be there when they drive the car around. Have them keep the engine running so you can verify no VSC off lights are on...
Trust me...do what I say or you may be arguing with them after you drive off and the lights come on...
Also, really check the work, look under the dash, look behind the glove box. Ask them what they are going to do before you leave then check everything. Take pictures of the area they are going to touch and let them see you doing it.

I say all of this because there are threads on here about bad experiences with this recall.

Good luck and let us know!
Old 05-20-15, 06:05 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Car and Drive report Lexus: 2002–2007 SC430
http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/
http://www.toyota.com/recall
Old 05-20-15, 08:55 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by GregoryNP
Thanks GregoryNP! I see that my 2006 is affected by this recall. I'll get it done, but I'm in no hurry. I don't necessarily want my car to be one of the first few that the techs are using to "figure out" how to do the job.
Old 05-21-15, 12:00 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Thanks GregoryNP! I see that my 2006 is affected by this recall. I'll get it done, but I'm in no hurry. I don't necessarily want my car to be one of the first few that the techs are using to "figure out" how to do the job.
Old 05-21-15, 11:48 AM
Toysled
Driver

Got a safety recall notice with my VIN from Lexus/Toyota sales USA in December but never made an effort to make an appointment. Lexus dealer is just a 5 minute walk from my workplace.
Old 05-21-15, 11:50 AM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

Had the recall work done today. No problem except "time spent". I was told this would take about 1 1/2 hours. Hah! More like 3 hours.

For those on this thread that said they will wait to get this done, FWIW the service rep at my local dealership said Lexus has been "on top of this" and started earlier than other mfg'ers (Honda, etc.) so they have already done a lot of these.

Also, I was told this air bag problem only applies to SC models. No other Lexus models are affected. Lucky Us!!!!

Mike
Old 05-21-15, 11:56 AM
kemuphy
Driver School Candidate

Is this still regional? I have a 2004 SC430 and when I input the VIN it says there are no active recalls. Should I just call my dealership?
Old 05-21-15, 01:28 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine done today. No issues. It did take about 4 hours, but they gave me a nice RX350 to drive around. I had to be in town anyway so it worked out great. No CEL's VSC's or cracked dash parts! All is well.
Old 05-22-15, 11:06 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Got mine done today. No issues. It did take about 4 hours, but they gave me a nice RX350 to drive around. I had to be in town anyway so it worked out great. No CEL's VSC's or cracked dash parts! All is well.
I have asked my dealer a number of times and there is no mention of the recall on the web site in owners resources. I know that the original recall started with the 2002 through 2004 depending on
serial number and date. The News now says the 2005 sc430 is also affected but I have not gotten a recall notice .Did anyone with a 2005 get a recall notice
Old 05-22-15, 11:23 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mine was done was give a loaner car pick up next day.

Quick Reply: Takata airbag recall, 02'-05' SC430