SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Please help me with NAVIKS install

Old 01-12-19, 05:38 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine also flickers to a black screen for literally a fraction of a second; not a big deal to me. It's switching input feeds. Not enough of a game killer to go and tear up the entire truck and my wiring trying to investigate. I never even noticed until you made this point.
Old 01-12-19, 06:21 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, I am probably going to doublecheck all the connections and put it back together. I'm tired of messing with it. Just pretty disappointed with Naviks response and a little disappointed with the product. I would be happy with an all black screen before the camera appeared, I am not really happy with the out of sync lines before the camera pops up. I might try powering the Blue wire directly to the 12v acc so that it isn't switching. Especially since I don't have another input. Then leave the camera on pin 14 or move it to the backup light
Old 01-12-19, 09:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Regarding the soldering comment, I suspect that they are referring to folks that don't know how to solder and wind up with a cold solder joint. So if you know how to solder well and know how to recognize a good solder joint, I'd ignore their comment.

Regarding the blank, noisy screen, it kind of sounds like they have a small delay / pause in their video switch where in the interim the signal lines are left floating. Without knowing all of the details about the installation, this sounds more like a design issue (with the Naviks unit) than an installation issue. The only two things I can think of that might be related to the installation are:
  • To insure that if the power supply line is switched on and off to deal with the camera (that supplies either or the Naviks or the camera) is switched crisply and not a slow or delayed switch
  • Insure that the signal that is used to indicate that the car is in reverse is also a crisp signal. Not noisy or slow to ramp up to the proper voltage for switching.
Full disclosure: I don't have a Naviks or backup camera and have never installed one but am an electrical engineer.
The following users liked this post:
msteele (10-20-20)
Old 01-12-19, 09:53 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Thank you so much for the comments back. Exactly what I was trying to figure out from other installations, if this was by their design or if it is a faulty box or faulty harness they provide. I guess I took offense at all their questioning on the wiring since I have been in the technology integration field for 25 years and I actually hold tons of certifications on install. I don't install much anymore, but I am certified for soldering and hold tons of low voltage certs and a low voltage contractors license. It looks more like this unit is searching for sync before it gets the camera signal. Maybe I am being too picky with this product, but was not expecting the tearing video/ sync before the camera locks in
Old 01-12-19, 10:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Yeah, it sounds to me like the switch is in an indeterminate state, basically between the one turned off but before making the new connection. Some of that is normal but should be much quicker than your eye can catch.
Old 01-13-19, 02:49 PM
malema
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malema
Based on the posts on this forum, I thought I would try installing a naviks back up camera on my 2006 430SC. Ordered the Vox camera with license plate mount and got that on with no problem. Removed the liner and accessed the navigation box. Attempted to follow the directions that Naviks sent, but first attempt resulted in a back up camera image in reverse, but no navigation screen (black). My attempts to trouble shoot have now left me with no image in navigation or in reverse, and a severed wire on my reverse line (pin 14). I am disappointed in myself and in the process. I wish Navik's instructions had provided as much detail on the navigation install as it did on the interior liner removal. Needless to say I did not have the skill set to make it work. I will probably call Naviks tomorrow and see if they can assist, as I had already asked them for a referral to a Northern California shop for install and they couldn't recommend any. (The shop that was recommended by Lexus was not familiar with Naviks). Is there anyone in the Nor Cal Bay Area that has successfully install Naviks and would like to help me figure this out? I want to get my car back in order!
Hey man, I Installed a Navtool and had the same issue as you with the back up camera being backwards. So I opened the unit and there was little switches inside that controlled the picture. They had to be in a certain order for American vs european cars so I played with it till got a picture working. Maybe Naviks something similar
Old 01-14-19, 12:52 PM
Avmanager
Driver

Resolved it with Naviks this afternoon . Or mostly resolved. Car video still has some noise, but they had me run the car for 2 minutes for the it to complete all its voltage checks and a lot of the noise went away. I had been testing it with just starting it and testing for a few seconds and then shutting it off. Its also much more noticeable when in the garage and putting it in Reverse as opposed to outside. The only way to do away with the 1 second delay they said is to leave the camera powered up off the ACC on pin 18. Ill deal with the 1 second delay and sometimes not that great video to keep the camera from having to be powered up all the time.
Old 01-22-19, 12:39 AM
yugzster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice rims...
What are they?
I just ordered a Naviks. We'll see how it goes.