SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sway bar upgrade issue on stock ride height.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 09:18 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Sway bar upgrade issue on stock ride height.

I kinda expected this so just putting it out there for others. I had my factory suspensions on and installed my rear sway bars using the shorter isf sway bar end links. The isf sway bar end links are just over half an inch shorter so is under more stress than the factory end links at stock ride height. I was going into a parking lot which had a steep incline and I went in at an angle to prevent bottoming out and I heard a loud clank, one of my end links snapped. So yeah if your car is not lowered then this might happen if you are doing the sway bar upgrade. On the plus side the moog end links do have a lifetime warranty on them
Old 03-24-15, 09:29 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

kuW
YOU ARE CORRECT DO NOT USE SHORTER LINKS IF NOT LOWER 1" OR MORE.

Last edited by bacardi11; 03-25-15 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-24-15, 09:37 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

lol.. yup.. I thought I could get to my suspensions before anything happened.. but oh well.. weather was really good so had to drop the top and drive it.
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we use the Mevotech MS86836 links with stock ride height?
Thanks
Old 03-25-15, 10:04 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I HAD THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE WITH THE THOSE MOOG LINKS.

It turns out they were not tightened to specs; 35 ft lbs on links and 25 ft lbs brackets.

Tightened to spec and "clank" went away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-15, 08:06 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

My 'clank' was different Lex.. my clank was the sound of the end link snapping off.. I need to change it, maybe this weekend, I'll take some pics then.
Old 03-25-15, 08:12 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Darn I hoped it was an easy fix for you. I guess these end links by moog aren't so good??
Old 03-25-15, 09:51 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

the end links are fine.. my car wasn't lowered when I put it on and since the isf end links are shorter there is too much tension on it at stock ride height. This is why it snapped, easy fix is to replace the end link.. hopefully can get to it this weekend.
Old 03-25-15, 09:55 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by doodles714
Can we use the Mevotech MS86836 links with stock ride height?
Thanks
It's not the brand that is the issue really. The isf sway bar holes for the end links are bigger than the factory sc430 sway bar holes, to fill that you need to use the isf sway bar end links. the isf end link regardless of brand is just over a half inch shorter than the factory end links. Because it is shorter it adds more tension at stock ride height. If your car is lowered by an inch or more you will have no issues.
Old 03-26-15, 06:49 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of other solutions:

To use the stock SC430 end-link, you can get a steel sleeve from a hardware store that has an Inner Diameter close to the 10mm stock SC430 end-link size bolt and having an Outer Diameter that will fit through the 13mm hole in the ISF Rear Sway Bar. The sleeve doesn't actually have to be metric, just so that it allows a 10mm bolt to be inserted into it and then that combination can fit into the 13mm hole without slop. This will require the sleeve to be cut to the length of the Sway bar thickness at the flat section that has the 13mm attachment hole. Then use threadlocker in the assembly. Or, if you have a lathe, you could machine this out of steel rod stock.

The other solution requires quite a bit more fabrication/modification. I couldn't find any after-market End-Links that use Heim joints. But, you can order parts and put together your own ones. I just finished doing this (sorry no pics - already on the car). This does require quite a bit of fitting, metal cutting, rethreading, retapping, though. I measured the hole-to-hole length of the stock SC430 end-links at about 5" (127mm), and duplicated that length. I thread locked the assembly together and, so far, all seems to be ok.

Last edited by TXFM; 03-26-15 at 07:32 AM. Reason: clarification that using stock end link is possible in 1st Solution
Old 03-26-15, 08:18 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXFM
There are a couple of other solutions:

To use the stock SC430 end-link, you can get a steel sleeve from a hardware store that has an Inner Diameter close to the 10mm stock SC430 end-link size bolt and having an Outer Diameter that will fit through the 13mm hole in the ISF Rear Sway Bar. The sleeve doesn't actually have to be metric, just so that it allows a 10mm bolt to be inserted into it and then that combination can fit into the 13mm hole without slop. This will require the sleeve to be cut to the length of the Sway bar thickness at the flat section that has the 13mm attachment hole. Then use threadlocker in the assembly. Or, if you have a lathe, you could machine this out of steel rod stock.

The other solution requires quite a bit more fabrication/modification. I couldn't find any after-market End-Links that use Heim joints. But, you can order parts and put together your own ones. I just finished doing this (sorry no pics - already on the car). This does require quite a bit of fitting, metal cutting, rethreading, retapping, though. I measured the hole-to-hole length of the stock SC430 end-links at about 5" (127mm), and duplicated that length. I thread locked the assembly together and, so far, all seems to be ok.
Those measurements are good to know TXFM.. taht can definitely help other members plan stuff out when doing the upgrade.

This is what happened to my end link, just replaced it today.

Old 03-27-15, 07:59 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The end link doesn't look like it was well made. See the surface rust? In any event, I don't think it should fail in this mode. It almost looks like shear force damage. Should have been stronger.
Old 03-27-15, 09:12 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Surface rust is from where the rod snapped off. It snapped a while ago, just getting around to changing it.
Old 06-03-15, 02:28 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Surface rust is from where the rod snapped off. It snapped a while ago, just getting around to changing it.
kuWuPt, did you replace the end links with another SC430 OEM links or you had to upgrade using IS F links? if you had to use different links than OEM please post the part number, thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-15, 11:59 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

My car is lowered now so replaced the moog end link with the same. For stock ride height TXFM has pointed out some options on post #10

"There are a couple of other solutions:

The other solution requires quite a bit more fabrication/modification. I couldn't find any after-market End-Links that use Heim joints. But, you can order parts and put together your own ones. I just finished doing this (sorry no pics - already on the car). This does require quite a bit of fitting, metal cutting, rethreading, retapping, though. I measured the hole-to-hole length of the stock SC430 end-links at about 5" (127mm), and duplicated that length. I thread locked the assembly together and, so far, all seems to be ok."