SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replaced rear brakes pads-clicking sound- how to diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 02:44 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replaced rear brakes pads-clicking sound- how to diagnose?

Hi All- I replaced my rear brake pads this weekend. I used oem pads and used the shims with CRC lubricant. I also compressed the brake calipers and made room for the new pads. I also tried to take off one of the rotors but it would not come off even with putting screws in the rotor.

Everything seemed fine and brakes were strong but when I went for a test drove there is a clicking sound at low to medium speeds come from the rear passenger side.

I checked the retainer pins and they are on correctly.

Any suggestions about what the problem may be? I would like to spin the wheel but the parking brake is on. Is it okay to take off the parking brake while jacked up if I block the wheels??

Please let me know if you have any tips. Thanks you!!
Old 08-10-14, 03:25 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

[QUOTE=LexBrett;8664364]Hi All- I replaced my rear brake pads this weekend. I used oem pads and used the shims with CRC lubricant. I also compressed the brake calipers and made room for the new pads. I also tried to take off one of the rotors but it would not come off even with putting screws in the rotor.

Everything seemed fine and brakes were strong but when I went for a test drove there is a clicking sound at low to medium speeds come from the rear passenger side.

I checked the retainer pins and they are on correctly.

Any suggestions about what the problem may be? I would like to spin the wheel but the parking brake is on. Is it okay to take off the parking brake while jacked up if I block the wheels??

Please let me know if you have any tips. Thanks you!![/QUOTE

It would be safer if you had 4 jackstands to raise the whole car.If you don't have them available, I would used the blocks,but raise the car just high enough to spin the wheels.I would double check the pins again. Is the clicking sound, from the same side the rotor wouldn't come off ???
Old 08-10-14, 03:42 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LexBrett, is the noise coming from the same side you tried to remove the rotor? I'm assuming you were planning on either turning your rear rotors or replacing them. Did you disengage your emergency brake before you tried to remove the rear rotors? Just checking since you didn't cover this in your thread.
Old 08-10-14, 03:59 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Hello. I did not disengage the parking brake when I was trying to get off the rotor. I wasn't planning on changing the rotors, but I wanted to take them off to clean them.

And yes, the clicking sound is coming from the same side I tried to remove the rotor :-(
Thoughts??

Last edited by LexBrett; 08-10-14 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 05:15 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Never try take a rear rotor off with the parking brake on. The shoes inside the small drum were engaged and you probably bent something. In fact, when I have taken off the rear rotor I back off the adjuster a bit to make sure the shoes clear the drum.
Old 08-10-14, 05:27 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like I need to take off the rotor (with the parking brake off) and see what is going on? What should I look for? Any visuals or diagrams would be much appreciated.I will take off the rotor tomorrow and post some pics and or vids if I cannot figure it out.

Thank you! CL is the best!

Last edited by LexBrett; 08-10-14 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 05:51 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this youtube link out. It's for a GS300 which is close enough for your setup. Remember to disengage the emergency brake and observe safety by place a tire chock if you don't use a lift.

Old 08-10-14, 08:01 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your help. Will let you know how it goes.