SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Painting Brake Calipers Using G2 Product

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 08:31 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting Brake Calipers Using G2 Product

I've read the many threads, however, I have not read about this question. Probably obvious, however, I'm a bit reluctant to load all 4 wheels up of a 2002 SC430.

Has anyone painted 2 wheels using G2 product one day and the other 2 the next day? Or is it to be all 4 on the same day because the paint cures.

Any tips on the jack process? One side then the other or both front then back. Stands under suspension or jack area of frame.
Old 07-19-13, 02:49 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a good question and I hope a mechanic on the forum can actually talk about the subject.
I'm not a jack expert, but have jacked my car up more times then I care to count, this is my story...
I have one hydraulic jack and two jack stands and have tried every combination possible, 1. One tire at a time, 2. Jacked driver side tire put stand under it and then jacked the passenger side and placed the other jack stand. 3. Jacked the rear driver side placed a stand there then jacked the driver front and placed the other jack stand. You get the picture, I have not had a problem so far or found it easier one way or another. I think having two tires on the ground and stands on the other two corners is safer, just my personal feeling. Good luck.
Old 07-19-13, 03:53 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Thank you hlthlnk, however, I'm a bit confused
"1. One tire at a time, 2. Jacked driver side tire put stand under it (assume front DS)
and then jacked the passenger side and placed the other jack stand. (Assume front PS)
3. Jacked the rear driver side placed a stand there then (I got that)
jacked the driver front and placed the other jack stand. (? or passenger rear ?)

So the 2 front and then the 2 rear..........

Also, can someone comment on the G2 useful life?

Last edited by Autoplak; 07-19-13 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-19-13, 04:49 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Lets not make this harder then it is. If you have jack stands, do the front two then put the car down then you can use the same jack stands to do the two rear. Good luck.
Old 07-20-13, 03:03 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

tanks
gotch ya
Old 07-20-13, 07:29 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

I have painted 6 cars with different paints, from duplicolor to g2 to off the shelf paint for grills to see how well they work. I feel you should stay away from brushed on paint, why you ask? First, it is the easiest to use since you can do the job with the caliper on the car. But, I think the paint is not as durable or resistant to the elements so it will fade much, much faster then the spray. You really don't get the gloss you see on the high end cars that come with painted calipers. Now, the spray paint for calipers requires you take the caliper off to get even and good spray motion. The result is very close to factory. The last paint type is the grill spray paint, it works really well and very durable but it is a mat finish. You need to ask a few questions, how much time do you have to work on the project (you can do one caliper per day). What kind of results you want to get? preparing is essential, cleaning the caliper is the most important part. Good luck and take pictures as you go to post.
Old 08-05-14, 07:03 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I painted my calipers Sunday with the G2 caliper paint (red, of course) and applied hi-temp vinyl Lexus labels (curved Lexus on the fronts, the "L" logo on the backs.

Looks great. I left the back calipers on, and pulled apart the fronts (left the caliper connected to the brake line, removed the carriers completely. (Took all four wheels off at once) After a meticulous cleaning with break cleaner and a brass wire brush I mixed the paint and started. Ambient temp was 70 F. I had plenty of time to paint (ended up applying 4 coats). Paint cured glossy.

Also put on EBC slotted rotors and EBC ceramic pads (their 'red stuff' pads). So far, great.