SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need to buy a new Battery....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 06:10 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by nomods4me
1st - proofread before you hit "post"

2nd - they make a nice little device that takes a 9 volt radio battery and plugs into the cigarette lighter and keeps all of your electrical settings while you change the car battery
yes I noted that. I used a small set of motorcycle jumper cables, and a spare 12 volt small battery I set in the engine compartment,

kind of a waste as when I unhooked my secondary battery the dead new battery lost the memories anyway
Old 01-24-17, 04:20 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

at least you tried
Old 01-25-17, 03:17 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Another vote for AGM battery.

Last edited by BCT; 01-25-17 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-25-17, 05:59 AM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AGM batteries do have significant advantages over flooded lead acid technology.

But they are best used in applications where they are located away from engine heat (under rear seat or in trunk), and as such are not a good fit for the SC430.
Old 01-25-17, 09:18 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

The pep boys web site on the Agm batteries makes no mention of any heating issues and carries a full line of models to fit every car made.

my die hard gold battery in my truck I think is Agm also and does have a factory heat blanket on it from Ford so they extreme heating may well affect these long term. My last Agm diehard lasted 7 years and my truck is used in the desert southwest in summer and has stainless steel header tubes in the engine compartment to add to the areas heating. No issues.

my Rv has thee Agm engine start batteries and the average life among our large group is around ten years.

located in the engine compartment adjacent to the 2000 pound engine, at almost ground level. Road heating from desert summer use has not affected any of our multiple thousand users batteries over the 30 years the coach builder has been installing them that anyone has noted.

Not that you are not correct technically but in actual use no issues

the mk web site who is the east penn disributor mentions -40 to plus 140 as the fully charged operating parameters.

east penn changed their internal plate mounting system four years ago to prevent plate warping and the shorting out of a cell from heat and projects a doubling of the batteries life because of it and a pre charge and testing of the plates before installation.

the higher cca and the 80% DOD available versus the 50% of a flooded cell and the ability to take a discharge without shortening the batteries life If deeply cycled like in storage to me out weigh the possible heating issues.

may call the mk engineer just to ask but pep boys and die hard by Johnson controls are both Agm to my knowledge.

interesting point. If I knew that the Agm would only last three years which is the warranty I would still use it for the noted advantages

the battery blanket in my 2000 Ford super duty was oem in August 1999 when the truck was made and was a flooded cell battery when new.

we will see as I am a keeper,
Old 01-25-17, 01:27 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I just checked my record. My AGM battery (now discontinued Sears Platinum) was bought in Nov 2011. Still working great in our Land Cruiser. It was $200 - worth every penny.
Old 01-25-17, 03:38 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
The pep boys web site on the Agm batteries makes no mention of any heating issues and carries a full line of models to fit every car made.

my die hard gold battery in my truck I think is Agm also and does have a factory heat blanket on it from Ford so they extreme heating may well affect these long term. My last Agm diehard lasted 7 years and my truck is used in the desert southwest in summer and has stainless steel header tubes in the engine compartment to add to the areas heating. No issues.

my Rv has thee Agm engine start batteries and the average life among our large group is around ten years.

located in the engine compartment adjacent to the 2000 pound engine, at almost ground level. Road heating from desert summer use has not affected any of our multiple thousand users batteries over the 30 years the coach builder has been installing them that anyone has noted.

Not that you are not correct technically but in actual use no issues

the mk web site who is the east penn disributor mentions -40 to plus 140 as the fully charged operating parameters.

east penn changed their internal plate mounting system four years ago to prevent plate warping and the shorting out of a cell from heat and projects a doubling of the batteries life because of it and a pre charge and testing of the plates before installation.

the higher cca and the 80% DOD available versus the 50% of a flooded cell and the ability to take a discharge without shortening the batteries life If deeply cycled like in storage to me out weigh the possible heating issues.

may call the mk engineer just to ask but pep boys and die hard by Johnson controls are both Agm to my knowledge.

interesting point. If I knew that the Agm would only last three years which is the warranty I would still use it for the noted advantages

the battery blanket in my 2000 Ford super duty was oem in August 1999 when the truck was made and was a flooded cell battery when new.

we will see as I am a keeper,
I have been under the impression that AGM batteries were touchy in high-heat applications.
But this abstract indicates just the opposite so I must stand corrected.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009JPS...190..162A
Old 01-25-17, 04:52 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by SC43052
I have been under the impression that AGM batteries were touchy in high-heat applications.
But this abstract indicates just the opposite so I must stand corrected.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009JPS...190..162A
thanks. Matches my experience
Old 01-26-17, 03:47 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Box

While looking through a Lexus online parts manual I came upon a "Battery Box". It looked like just a big plastic covered box to conceal the battery itself.
The list price was somewhere around $200. I just wondering if anyone has one of these installed, or maybe I'm the only guy who doesn't have one.
Old 01-26-17, 05:37 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeSC430D
While looking through a Lexus online parts manual I came upon a "Battery Box". It looked like just a big plastic covered box to conceal the battery itself.
The list price was somewhere around $200. I just wondering if anyone has one of these installed, or maybe I'm the only guy who doesn't have one.
can you post a link?
Old 01-26-17, 07:01 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC430D
that is the plastic box that slides over the battery, not the battery sitting in it. You can see it covering it in this picture of mine. That's stupid crazy if they are charging $200 for it.
Attached Thumbnails Need to buy a new Battery....any suggestions?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-26-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-26-17, 07:25 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

If #8 is what you were talking about. $61, and I still think that is insane.
Attached Thumbnails Need to buy a new Battery....any suggestions?-image.png  
Old 01-26-17, 04:51 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coleroad
part says from 8/2005 on. Anyone seen one?
Old 01-27-17, 04:06 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a different source

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Coleroad, Yes it is still outrageous, but it is only the cover, if you look at the price of the battery tray, $117,
and consider that the two parts comprise the "box" you are getting pretty close to $200.00. I'm not
sure I could find the parts site again where I first saw it listed as a single item. Anyway, just wondering if these were
stock, part of an option package, or available only on certain editions. I've never seen one installed.
Old 02-20-17, 10:53 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
yes. I'm an Rv guy and batteries are super important in use.

its branded as their premium Bosch line. With a on line coupon it was $160?.

Measures out at 850 CCA. It is not an exact fit for the holddown plate to fit the batteries top shape but it works fine,

AGM is a much superior technology.

The holddown fits slabted a bit but tightena fine.
Please post the link...group/size

Quick Reply: Need to buy a new Battery....any suggestions?