SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC430 Owner Here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 03:06 PM
DiRollin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC430 Owner Here!

Hey everyone! Glad there's such an awesome forum for the SC430!

I just acquired a mint 2007 SC430 with only 14,000 miles on it. Have been looking through the forum and have found some things I now want to do to the SC. (Not many needed obviously).

There are a few chips in the hood from some rocks but other than that the condition can be described by telling you the top was never even put down once. Oh and again 14,000 miles for a 2007....

Regarding the hood chips... Would you all suggest just using touch-up as a fix? I hear trying any other method will be very visible.

Thanks a lot the help!

New SC430 Owner Here!-lb4rype.jpg

New SC430 Owner Here!-etucz8d.jpg

Last edited by DiRollin; 06-17-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-10-14, 03:19 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Welcome!

Welcome to the party DiRollin and congrats on your SC acquisition!

Starfire Pearl is such a nice color. If the chips on the hood aren't too big, just take some white touch up paint and use a toothpick to stay inside the chip and avoid getting outside on the existing paint. Starfire Pearl, like my White Gold Crystal SC is a three coat paint system where you have a white base coat with the pearl component on top of that finished off with a clear coat. I've tried to replicate that on a big scratch on my Starfire Pearl CT200h and frankly, I'd been better off to just fill in the scratch with the white and left it at that.

Regarding the comment about the top having never been down, I hope you remedy that! In the summer, my SC lives with it's top down 24/7.

StillLine
Old 06-10-14, 07:07 PM
DisGuyLex
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your acquisition! Looks really clen, what upgrades are you planning to do on it?
Old 06-10-14, 08:42 PM
DiRollin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Guys!

@StillLine, Thanks! I will try that on the chips. I didn't even notice my images made the car look like Starfire Pearl but this is actually the Mercury Metallic color! Good idea with the toothpick. I will try that first. Putting the top down was the first thing I did! This car really attracts a lot of attention is seems... Loving it.

@DisGuyLex, Thanks! It literally looks BRAND NEW. Inside and out, Minus the damn chips! I just replaced most of the lights with LED's. I was ordering an Injen intake (for the sound) online until the company wouldn't proceed with my order since I live in CA... unreal. Will try another site later tonight. I was going to tint windows until I read on here some people think its looks horrid with the top down. When new tires are needed will replace wheels with some 19's. Any good suggestions? Lastly, I'm debating between the LuxLink and Viper 2-way for remote start.

Going to get some real nice shots of the car soon with something much better then my cellphone...

Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice!

Last edited by DiRollin; 06-10-14 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 08:53 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Luxlink hasn't been made for several years now, unless you can buy the device from someone selling it.
Old 06-10-14, 09:27 PM
DiRollin
Driver School Candidate

@DarthSid, Yea I had one guy who was going to sell his but he hasn't decided yet. So while I wait I'm still trying to decide between the two... If I can get it, would it make more sense than a viper system in your opinion?

What do you guys think about either of these on the SC?

Old 06-10-14, 09:42 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DiRollin

There are a few chips in the hood from some rocks but other than that the condition can be described by telling you the top was never even put down once. Oh and again 14,000 miles for a 2007....

Regarding the hood chips... Would you all suggest just using touch-up as a fix? I hear trying any other method will be very visible.

Thanks a lot the help!

One other option you might want to consider is to put a bra on it. It just so happens that I have a brand new, in the box lexus bra. I chose the invisible bra instead. Price will be cheap if you can pick it up. I'm in Southern California. Either way congrats on the best car ever and enjoy-with the top down of course.
Old 06-11-14, 07:57 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2007 Mercury Metallic SC430 w/Saddle interior .

I has 17,000 miles on it. It came with a clear bra installed so there are no chips on the hood or fender. Only one small chip on rear quarter panel.

It came with tint and I don't like it. I will have the tint removed at some point. My red SC430 is not tinted and I like it better.

My Silver SC came with Lexus Tourmaline wheels. They are excellent. Easy to keep clean and look great.

I suggest you see if you can get your hood repainted by a good body shop. I had my LS460 quarter panel repainted by local Lexus dealer and you could not tell. After the paint cures consider a clear bra.

I like the first set of wheels in your pictures.

Old 06-11-14, 07:11 PM
donaldp
Driver

Hey everyone! Glad there's such an awesome forum for the SC430!

I just acquired a mint 2007 SC430 with only 14,000 miles on it. Have been looking through the forum and have found some things I now want to do to the SC. (Not many needed obviously).

Thanks a lot the help!

I'm always suspicious of an older car with such low milage so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Please confirm that your new car still has the original run flat tires on all four corners. The run flats should have lasted about 20,000 miles.
2. Did you check at any Lexus dealer by having them run the VIN to verify there are no records in their system where the car was recorded with higher mileage
3. Your license plates were new in January 2014 in California which tells me two things; either personalized plates were removed at that time by a dealer, or the car came from outside California. Either way, if you just purchased the car in June, why were new plates generated in January of this year?
4. Have any body panels been repainted to your knowledge?
5. Where in California are you?

I have a 2007 Smoky Granite Mica that I purchased new that just turned over to 90.000 miles so I
know your car well. Even with my high mileage, I have only touched up two chips that were bigger than salt sized chips in seven years.

Last edited by donaldp; 06-11-14 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 09:16 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool G-Spiders

What do you guys think about either of these on the SC?

Either of those would look great on your SC. G-Spiders would also look tremendous. I picked up my like brand new G-Spiders with tires and TPMS for 8 bills. Helluva deal and they look great!

StillLine
Old 06-17-14, 06:10 AM
DiRollin
Driver School Candidate

@donaldp, sorry I was out of town and didnt get a chance to get on here. Thanks for you concern! Clearly you know what your talking about!

1. Please confirm that your new car still has the original run flat tires on all four corners. The run flats should have lasted about 20,000 miles.
Tires are not run flats which I was surprised about... Trying to figure out why they are not... Going to make a call today actually regarding this. I do actually prefer standard tires as I'm going for the smoothest ride possible. I have invested in the Lexus emergency tire repair system in the hopes of mitigating disaster.

2. Did you check at any Lexus dealer by having them run the VIN to verify there are no records in their system where the car was recorded with higher mileage
It was a family transfer so I'm certain of the mileage. This car was just used for errands. Mostly just sitting in the garage.

3. Your license plates were new in January 2014 in California which tells me two things; either personalized plates were removed at that time by a dealer, or the car came from outside California. Either way, if you just purchased the car in June, why were new plates generated in January of this year?
(YOU ARE GOOD!) Car was re-registered in Jan, then did a family transfer in May/Jun and re-registered in my name, swapping out the personal plates with new ones.

4. Have any body panels been repainted to your knowledge?
No, However car needs it....these chips in the hood are driving me nuts.

5. Where in California are you?
Monterey Bay Area. Lived in Marin County, Monterey County including Big Sur. I was truly blessed with living in the most beautiful places in the state.

Regarding the chips in the hood... I have done some further investigation and have discovered very minute chips in the glass and front bumper as well. Now knowing that the family member who owned this vehicle lived right next to a ROCK QUARRY and had to drive along the same road all the hauling trucks used all day; now pretty much explains all of the damage...

Thanks again
Old 06-17-14, 03:27 PM
donaldp
Driver

DiRollin,

The family transfer certainly takes all of the unknowns away. How great that you have in your possession such a wonderful machine with incredibly low mileage.

I, coincidentally, also live near a rock quarry so I know what you're talking about with the debris that is generated on the drive in and out. I would suggest to you that you do not have the car repainted as the paint on your car is far superior to any body shop repaint. If it's not your forte, you might consider having your car detailed by someone who can perform a paint correction detail for you. Have the chips touched up and accept that it's not perfect. Repaint would be my last resort.

Perhaps the prior owner replaced the run flats because they hated the ride. I can tell you that it is night and day better with conventional tires. I have been without run flats for the last 70,000 miles and I don't have a spare and have yet to have a flat tire. I have a phone and I'm good with that because the spare takes away to much space in the trunk when the roof is down. I'm certain you will have that roof down all the time in Monterey.

Last edited by donaldp; 06-17-14 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 10:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the forum DiRollin. Enjoy you new acquisition.
Old 06-18-14, 10:48 AM
BPPT
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your acquisition. It sure is minty! And yes, you are most definitely blessed to have lived in the most gorgeous/scenic part of the state in Big Sur/Monterey County!
Old 06-18-14, 01:40 PM
DiRollin
Driver School Candidate

@donaldp, Thanks for the advice, I will leave the repaint as a last resort. Top down almost every day now haha!

@Harold57 & BPPT, Thanks guy's! You know of any groups that ever meet up in California?

Did some Photoshop of what the F-Sport may look like on my Car.. Opinions?

New SC430 Owner Here!-bymivdl.jpg
New SC430 Owner Here!-orlkecm.jpg

Quick Reply: New SC430 Owner Here!