Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 03:06 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering

Hello all,

What is your opinion on lowering the SC? I believe I rather just use springs instead of coil overs. which spring brand do you believe is best? megan? Ebaich? tein? I just special ordered spacers for more of a flush look with fender but now I believe I would like to lower a bit too.

thanks!
Old 04-18-14, 03:18 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Hello all,

What is your opinion on lowering the SC? I believe I rather just use springs instead of coil overs. which spring brand do you believe is best? megan? Ebaich? tein? I just special ordered spacers for more of a flush look with fender but now I believe I would like to lower a bit too.

thanks!
I have no idea which is the best.I think everyone will have their own opinion, but I have Tein Sports & I like them
Old 04-18-14, 03:19 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Can you see a difference in ride height? how low did you go?

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I have no idea which is the best.I think everyone will have their own opinion, but I have Tein Sports & I like them
Old 04-18-14, 03:33 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Can you see a difference in ride height? how low did you go?
..definitely saw the drop in ride height.I dropped about 1.5-2in & the car handles so much better,actually the overall feel/ride is better. Now the down side...lol...some bumps will feel harsher,because with the dropped springs,the travel (in the spring) is less because they are shorter.I don't have any pics posted here,but if you go to my garage,you might be able to see the drop with my wheels.I'm running 18x8.5(f) w / 20offset & 18x9.5(r) w / 25offset...no spacers & a flush stance
Old 04-18-14, 03:46 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

..definitely saw the drop in ride height.I dropped about 1.5-2in & the car handles so much better,actually the overall feel/ride is better. Now the down side...lol...some bumps will feel harsher,because with the dropped springs,the travel (in the spring) is less because they are shorter.I don't have any pics posted here,but if you go to my garage,you might be able to see the drop with my wheels.I'm running 18x8.5(f) w / 20offset & 18x9.5(r) w / 25offset...no spacers & a flush stance
Yea see I just purchased spacers with 25mm front and 35mm rear. haven't installed them yet moreso because they haven't arrived in mail. I currently have stock wheels on and I really have no plans to change. if I do it will be something with the same as stock.
Old 04-18-14, 04:24 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

go with Swift Springs you will happy
Old 04-19-14, 08:12 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lowered mine with coil overs and dropped it 1.0-1.5. I agree with texsexlex assessment.

Here in San Diego County there's a road that is a lot fun to drive "Highland Valley". Prior to the lowering I heard rubbing in the fender wells occasionally (when pushing the car real hard into turns). After the lowering the rubbing is much more frequent. Yes the ride is much better and holds corners great, but a lot more rubbing.

I also need to be very careful with high spots entering driveways and especially speed-bumps.
Old 04-19-14, 10:59 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine with teins. (from fellow member mdpuff) I think about five years or so ago. Have loved the look ever since. I also have 25mm spacers in the rear. I guess I should be looking for some 35mms. Just never got around to it. Only have to be careful over speed bumps. Didn't have that many back in Pa. Where we live here in Florida there are speed bumps all over. I just have to watch my speed.
Old 04-19-14, 09:03 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Born2x
I lowered mine with coil overs and dropped it 1.0-1.5. I agree with texsexlex assessment.

Here in San Diego County there's a road that is a lot fun to drive "Highland Valley". Prior to the lowering I heard rubbing in the fender wells occasionally (when pushing the car real hard into turns). After the lowering the rubbing is much more frequent. Yes the ride is much better and holds corners great, but a lot more rubbing.

I also need to be very careful with high spots entering driveways and especially speed-bumps.
...I'll agree with the speed bumps & some driveways, but I'm not have any rubbing issues.
Old 04-20-14, 12:20 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Born2x

Hi

I dropped mine with coilovers, but got so fed up with speed bumps (they are everywhere in London) that I changed up to air using the coilovers and now i have no trouble at all. One touch on the eLevel pad and she lifts to clear any bumps or driveways. Best money I have spent, although it was a lot. lol

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-20-14, 07:33 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi

I dropped mine with coilovers, but got so fed up with speed bumps (they are everywhere in London) that I changed up to air using the coilovers and now i have no trouble at all. One touch on the eLevel pad and she lifts to clear any bumps or driveways. Best money I have spent, although it was a lot. lol

Cheers
Steve
Yea, not trying to spend that much
Old 04-20-14, 10:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Hi

Cheers
Steve
...yea air will probably be on the agenda later in the year for me,unless I find some extra money that I don't have to spend elsewhere...like the house, the wife,life,etc...lol...but on the subject, how does the ride compare to stock or the coilovers ???
Old 04-21-14, 07:41 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had mine on so long can't remember what stock ride was. Also I had the run flats on when I switched over. So I'm not help there.
Old 04-21-14, 12:06 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

...yea air will probably be on the agenda later in the year for me,unless I find some extra money that I don't have to spend elsewhere...like the house, the wife,life,etc...lol...but on the subject, how does the ride compare to stock or the coilovers ???
Hi Tex

Yep, know what you mean, always something else that takes president. I want new wheels, but the house, kids, grand-kids, wife and life take it all !!!! lol.

Mine is firmer than stock although I have sport bags, but it is more comfortable than say a BMW Z4 or an Audi A3 S line. The sweet spot is when the bags are about half full, higher and it gets rough and lower then the bags can bottom out in potholes etc. and it can be bone jarring. I set my ride height so the bags are about half and just lift it for the bumps and slam it when its parked.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-21-14, 11:03 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Hi Tex

Yep, know what you mean, always something else that takes president. I want new wheels, but the house, kids, grand-kids, wife and life take it all !!!! lol.

Mine is firmer than stock although I have sport bags, but it is more comfortable than say a BMW Z4 or an Audi A3 S line. The sweet spot is when the bags are about half full, higher and it gets rough and lower then the bags can bottom out in potholes etc. and it can be bone jarring. I set my ride height so the bags are about half and just lift it for the bumps and slam it when its parked.

Cheers
Steve
...appreciate the info...I'm going to get with another member here with air & take a test ride.i may pm you a little later on,when I get closer to doing it...thanx again

Last edited by texsexlex; 04-21-14 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Lowering