SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Supra TT brakes on SC430, few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 06:55 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Supra TT brakes on SC430, few questions..

Hi,

I'm interested in upgrading my brakes to the supra brakes.. but I have a few questions:

1) should I be searching for 1993 to 1998 JZA80 calipers? or is there specific year that I should be looking for? and what brands are available? I prefer original toyota ones, i think those are sumitomo? i saw brands like a1 cardone, advics, etc.. so I was confused..

2) I was wondering if the front and rear are straight bolt on? im aware that I need to cut some of the front dust shield?

3) from what I read, the rear calipers are not compatible? If rear aren't compatible, is it alright to have 4 pot in front and 1 in rear? or is there any other solution?

3) I have looked at new, used, and I have also seen refurbished ones by companies such as bendix? not to sure about them but a friend of mine whos dad is a mechanic says he can get me genuine rebuilt ones for a good deal.. was wondering if that is a safe choice?

4) I noticed on there site it had 3 different advertized one called reman which I assume means remanufactured.. second said semi loaded, and last said loaded.. not sure what the difference is?

5) If I do get rebuilt ones, is there anything that should come with them? any bolts, or things needed?

6) can i use my stock brake lines? I might upgrade to stoptech steel ones but just wondering.

7) anyone who has done this, how was the difference?

any other useful info would be appreciated and advice from those who have done it? even pics?

Thank you,

Last edited by 416tt; 03-10-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-11-14, 07:58 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Can someone confirm if its only the fronts that fit? I need to place an order asap .. if rears dont I wont order them .. unless anyone knows a way..

any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou
Old 03-11-14, 03:34 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm almost sure the rears don't fit. I have the fronts and they are direct bolt on.
Old 03-11-14, 05:57 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tuterz
is right rears will not fit.
Old 03-11-14, 06:38 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Thank you guys!

Originally Posted by tuterz
I'm almost sure the rears don't fit. I have the fronts and they are direct bolt on.
awesome, did you feel a difference with them?

Originally Posted by bacardi11
tuterz
is right rears will not fit.
and do you guys think rebuilt calipers are alright?

im debating between brand new and rebuilt ones.. the price is a 300 to 400$ difference.. but if you guys think im safe with rebuilt then I dont mind saving money! I gotta place the order by this week!

Thank you!
Old 03-14-14, 07:21 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I felt a big difference...took me awhile to get used to them.
Old 03-16-14, 10:16 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DPRSupra
I felt a big difference...took me awhile to get used to them.
Thankyou!

so I have placed the order and I just realized I didn't think about the most important thing.. will they clear my wheels :/ so i tried to figure it out based on info provided in threads below..

supra tt front rotor diameter = 320mm
wheel mountain flange diameter = 150mm (of my wheel)

320-150=170/2 = 85mm is how much the rotor will stick out past my wheel flange diameter.

I noticed in links below that the widest point on the caliper is around the edge line of the rotor so I thought I would measure the distance from the flange height to the back of spoke around that area..

http://www.lextreme.com/lsbrake.ht
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-sc430-3.html

and according to AME_VIP in thread below, I need about 45mm to 50mm space from flange height to back of spoke?

"
I have Supra TT brakes on my SC. I have done many many measurements and now have 1mm of brake clearance. I have 41mm of clearance. I suggest having 45mm of clearance from the wheel mounting flange to the wheel spoke. You will be fine if you have 50mm. (wheel mounting flange to the wheel spoke)
"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...e-caliper.html

from my measurement, I have about 45mm from above rotor line up to 49 mm ..
Supra TT brakes on SC430, few questions..-imag0718.jpg

Supra TT brakes on SC430, few questions..-untitlesdsdsd.png
Old 04-08-14, 08:05 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hi Guys,

so I got the calipers, they cleared the wheels im not sure what brand to get for rotors and pads.. what would you guys would recommend? im looking for pre drilled but no slots.. and would it be good to get steel lines?

once I install these I will post exact measurements so anyone else looking to attempt this will have it easier.

thank you very much !
Old 04-08-14, 02:24 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bimmer416,

I've been here. Costs of product to do your mod is a key factor, plus what you want/like. For example; I purchased my rims first which was a mistake. You need to know the clearance of the calipers first and size of the rotors. Yes, I would recommend the steel brake lines.

Here is what I did. I went with the Brembo BBK Kit. I went on line and downloaded all the specs plus the template offered by Brembo to make a cardboard life size caliper template. I removed the wheel from the car and compared the template to the backside of the wheel hub vs the spokes which gave me a 3mm clearance which was sufficient. Do you want a four piston or six piston front caliper? Six might be too much. However a six piston caliper does fill up the space. Also take into consideration the size of your wheels, 18", 19" or 20" which you should consider as well. You MUST know your wheel offset before you buy aftermarket calipers. Otherwise you run the risk of the wheel rubbing or not fitting at all.

Here is an example/template of the front Brembo Calipers I made to scale and cut out of cardboard or poster board.
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brakes on SC430, few questions..-image.jpg  
Old 04-08-14, 02:30 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Based on your thread I'm assuming you installed your calipers. If yes, and they fit well with no clearance issues I would look at shock diameter rotors. You can purchase plain, slotted, drilled, combo slotted-drilled plus painted. Try the following website

ww.brakeperformance.com
Old 04-09-14, 08:03 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Thank you for your reply Darthsid, that is great info there!! and to be honest I ended up ordering the calipers without considering the rim clearance but it worked out luckily. I believe I have about 7 or 8 mm of clearance. Thanks for the website, im not sure what you meant by shock diameter rotors? is that a brand? I couldn't find anything on google.. and the rotors in the link look great, what would you say about the quality?

I noticed stoptech is selling there front kit with steel lines for 402$ I think itll turn to about 500 CAD with shipping... not sure if thats a good deal? I think I was going to get there steel lines anyways..

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ed_Sport/19195
Old 04-09-14, 09:39 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Thank you for your reply Darthsid, that is great info there!! and to be honest I ended up ordering the calipers without considering the rim clearance but it worked out luckily. I believe I have about 7 or 8 mm of clearance. Thanks for the website, im not sure what you meant by shock diameter rotors? is that a brand? I couldn't find anything on google.. and the rotors in the link look great, what would you say about the quality? I noticed stoptech is selling there front kit with steel lines for 402$ I think itll turn to about 500 CAD with shipping... not sure if thats a good deal? I think I was going to get there steel lines anyways.. http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ed_Sport/19195
I meant stock or OEM rotor size. I've heard about Stoptech. I don't have a positive or negative opinion on the brand. I recommend you also look at Rotora brakes before you decide.
Old 04-10-14, 11:30 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sidebar: do the stock SC430 wheels fit with supra TT brake upgrades?
Old 04-11-14, 06:22 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baddis es
sidebar: do the stock SC430 wheels fit with supra TT brake upgrades?
No they do not.. That's the point i was about to bring up.. I had to use 15mm spacers to clear the TT fronts.. Rear's do not fit unless you fabricate a bracket and extend brake lines.
Old 04-11-14, 11:09 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DarthSid
I meant stock or OEM rotor size. I've heard about Stoptech. I don't have a positive or negative opinion on the brand. I recommend you also look at Rotora brakes before you decide.
Thanks Darthsid Ill check them out!

Quick Reply: Supra TT brakes on SC430, few questions..