SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 09:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Temperature change in North Carolina this past week has been all over the map! I decided to let you all know that the Fix I posted is working and my car is dead silent over Bumps, Humps, whatever! Roof is no longer flexing!
I will get up pictures for those who want more detail!

Finally a post I can give back to CL

Bob

Please post on location of the fix (and how you did it), would appreciate it a lot. Also please specify the material you used. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-17, 09:07 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Not sure?

I believe the Chassis is rigid, The flex is coming from the top! Hence convertible top makes up many pieces! I still have not hear a squeak since I installed the 3m Tape!

B-
Old 11-30-17, 01:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Project # 3 on Saturday, Trying to quiet the convertible top, here is what I did, I will post pictures.... as soon as I get my Key/Remote fixed:

1-Purchased 3M Auto quieting tape from Amazon 3M 5430 Squeak Reduction Tape, 0.25" x 5yd (1 roll) (The tape is very nice to work with). I had read on the Web some TSB from various car manufacture, they use this Tape for Squeaks, Rattles, Creaks
2-Open roof half way to install the Tape
3-Installed, I did not measure, the Tape from left to right the entire length of the interior roof Panel, not on the inside, but the upper portion of Panel that would close down and meet the Rear Window Panel.
4-Did the exact same on the front of the interior panel, again, the location of the tape installed runs the entire length so when the Top closes it mates with the panel above the Sun Visors!
5-On the front there is to metal clamps that lock the Roof, I put tape a couple of turns around them since they contact with metal!

The Tape is very slippery and is almost invisible, Also you do not see the Tape when the Roof is closed!

Now the Test, I went down some nasty' Roads we have in NC

Result, I could not believe that the sound is gone

Installation time ,1-hour with help from wife
And when you say open the roof halfway, how do you actually do this?

Can you please post pictures of the actual surfaces-location that you applied these with? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mandyfig; 11-30-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 05:39 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Will post pictures!

Hi,

For sure will post pictures on exactly where the Tape goes! Half way up, when opening roof I stop about 1/2 way before closing, that gives me the exact location to reach area to install the Tape!
Pics will give you exact location!

I am out of town and plan on posting the pictures this Saturday along with the directions!

Stay tuned! I can tell you that it works!!! Dead Quiet!!!!

Bob
Old 12-14-17, 05:35 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Coming Soon Pictures and more info FOR CL Members

Hi All--

My car has been at the Lexus Dealer for over a week troubleshooting wireless remote issues! I will get pictures up asap regarding this Thread to remove the creak noise in Roof! It has been 4 weeks and the noise is history!!
Please stay tuned! Hope to have them up this weekend!

Sorry this is a combined thread---I will also be posting the final result to why my CRAZY Key Remote intermittent stops working fiasco!!!!!!! Lexus called me yesterday from the shop, they believe they believe they found the culprit! You will not believe it! Many of you may have this on your car!

Please stay tuned and I will post all above!
B-
Old 12-14-17, 06:26 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi All--

My car has been at the Lexus Dealer for over a week troubleshooting wireless remote issues! I will get pictures up asap regarding this Thread to remove the creak noise in Roof! It has been 4 weeks and the noise is history!!
Please stay tuned! Hope to have them up this weekend!

Sorry this is a combined thread---I will also be posting the final result to why my CRAZY Key Remote intermittent stops working fiasco!!!!!!! Lexus called me yesterday from the shop, they believe they believe they found the culprit! You will not believe it! Many of you may have this on your car!

Please stay tuned and I will post all above!
B-
Would like to know where the issue was !!
Old 12-14-17, 07:04 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default OK here it is

Drum Roll Please~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check your Rear View Interior Mirror! If there is a RFID Sticker attached, take it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Key/Remote sends Wireless Signal to Receiver for Door Lock System! My Lexus Dealer noticed one on my Car, they removed it and so far they have not had any issues not locking! I spent considerable $$ and Time and testing

Replaced both Actuators in Both Doors NO Go!
New batteries in Keys. NO Go!
Cleaned checked battery terminals. No Go!
Cleaned both Screws holding door jamb switches. NO Go!
Replaced both of my Door Jamb switches one by one when remote stop locking. NO Go!
Replaced both Lamp Bulbs in Mirror since after remote stop working dam dome lights would stay on! NO Go!

So when I got a call from my Dealer they asked me what the sticker does, I had no clue. So they removed it and all is working at this moment! RFID is passive, I am no engineer and the sticker is 3 inches long and 1 Inch wide! Attached is a photo of the exact one that was on my car! My Carr came from Oklahoma, that dealership put it on to increase customer satisfaction and increase their efficiency! After more research a few years back, Lexus made their Dealers aware of this RFID system to increase their Customer Satisfaction! So they recommended the company, see attached photo! I read MANY DEALERS PUT THESE ON CARS WITHOUT TELLING CUSTOMERS!

Note:
FIVE Saturdays in a row, after washing my car, then leaving car outside direct into the Sun, my guess, as the car heated up, ambient inside temp somehow increased the interference with my Key remote! Maybe when the Sticker antenna got hot, I know the Sticker they removed is passive RFID, however after reading about RFID, it can cause interference with Wireless!

Somehow after letting the car sit overnight, the remote would always work the next day!!

So hope to get my car back today!

Sorry for the long story, but again that sticker if you have one is in the same path as the Antenna receiver in the Mirror!!! Also, my MO is to always point receiver to Driver side Window and that was in direct sight of the Mirror!

CMTS***UP

B-
Attached Thumbnails Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-screen-shot-2017-12-12-at-10.35.22-am.png  
Old 12-14-17, 08:16 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The whole point in putting on the stiker was when you pulled into the dealers lot the service associates were notifed of your arrival so they knew ahead of time that you were there. I did not see how that mattered but it might have been able for them to track where the car was when they were servicing it. Glad you got it figured out. I know that lexus did talk about the RFID Id sticker but I would of assumed they would of done more testing

\
Old 12-15-17, 05:55 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

How unusual. I have one on my car too but no problems. I guess certain types of them may create a jamming type response to certain frequencies that would interfere with the fob. I hope that was it! Congratulations.
Old 12-16-17, 06:43 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
How unusual. I have one on my car too but no problems. I guess certain types of them may create a jamming type response to certain frequencies that would interfere with the fob. I hope that was it! Congratulations.
like you're saying, I had EZ passes on all my cars and no problems. Again maybe it worked on a different frequency.
Old 12-16-17, 09:38 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default As Promised, here is the areas to tape to rid noise!

Hello Friends, Here is the Pics, sorry not the best of photos, however I believe you can see where tape needs to go as noted!
If anyone wants to talk via Cell, hit me up with a personal email and I can call you if you need better instructions!

The tape is 3m Quieting tape, purchased from Amazon,
Amazon Amazon

Would have another person hold one end of the tape as you run the length of the Headliners, makes it easier!

I put a couple of turns of Tape on both front locking Clamps! Also on another small area noted in fromt!

You can instal the Tape in any order!

This the best 24.00 I ever spent!

Busy bee today also attached some images of my Detail: I was up at 2AM, did the detail in my Garage in the following order:

1-Car was already machine polished
2-Coat of Z07 Chemical Guys
3-Coat of Jet Seal
4-Coat of Butter Wax

Then replaced my Rear head rests due to shrinkage in Leather, purchased them on E-Bay!
Then went into my Driver Seat to get rid of a noisy Spring, Dang those screws to take of the back cover of seat, are aB*** To get off and on!

Enough for now!

Glad too help, finally giving back to you all who have helped me in my new SC issues!

My Best!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-front-winsheild.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-2.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-3.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-img_4.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-img_5.jpg  

Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-img_6.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-img_3005.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-img_3007.jpg   Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof-img_3008.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by hoffy5:
mandyfig (12-18-17), Millano33 (03-18-21)
Old 12-16-17, 12:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Then replaced my Rear head rests due to shrinkage in Leather, purchased them on E-Bay!

My Best!
Bob
hi Bob, did you purchase used headrests or just the leather?
Old 12-17-17, 03:55 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Regarding Headrest replacement

Yes, purchased used one from E-bay, entire units in my color, Ecru. I kept watching on E-bay, it was very important to look at the back of the Head Rest's to make sure there was plenty of Leather that wrapped the frame. Hence all the shrinkage! Either Lexus did not put enough Leather on, or prior owner exposed to rain and Sun or did not protect them properly?

I paid 59.00 x 2 for Left and Right sides! Before installing them, I used some 3M 77 spray adhesive to tack down the leather so it would not pull! After 14 years the Glue was no longer holding in a couple of locations..other than that these new used ones came from an 02, mine is an 03, match was perfect!

Most of the used one on E-bay have scratches on Leather, however another option if you cannot find a nice pair is to just have them Re-Dyed!

I did see your Leather re-do of your front seats! Very nice!!! Also, your Photos helped me to tackle the fix to my Driver seat and helped me see where all the components where located so once I took the Back off my Driver Seat, then lubed and tightened the Clips!

Thanks!
B-
Old 12-17-17, 04:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, purchased used one from E-bay, entire units in my color, Ecru. I kept watching on E-bay, it was very important to look at the back of the Head Rest's to make sure there was plenty of Leather that wrapped the frame. Hence all the shrinkage! Either Lexus did not put enough Leather on, or prior owner exposed to rain and Sun or did not protect them properly?

I paid 59.00 x 2 for Left and Right sides! Before installing them, I used some 3M 77 spray adhesive to tack down the leather so it would not pull! After 14 years the Glue was no longer holding in a couple of locations..other than that these new used ones came from an 02, mine is an 03, match was perfect!

Most of the used one on E-bay have scratches on Leather, however another option if you cannot find a nice pair is to just have them Re-Dyed!

I did see your Leather re-do of your front seats! Very nice!!! Also, your Photos helped me to tackle the fix to my Driver seat and helped me see where all the components where located so once I took the Back off my Driver Seat, then lubed and tightened the Clips!

Thanks!
B-
very nice Bob!
my rear head rests had the same problem as yours. I guess the Florida heat and sun did this to them, plus a lack of leather care products.

if I could find a headrest new leather supplier, I would be all over it. My only option is to purchase the entire rear seat for $300, plus shipping.
Old 12-18-17, 06:22 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
very nice Bob!
my rear head rests had the same problem as yours. I guess the Florida heat and sun did this to them, plus a lack of leather care products.

if I could find a headrest new leather supplier, I would be all over it. My only option is to purchase the entire rear seat for $300, plus shipping.
I was wrong about the rear headrests.
lseat.com will sell me the rear headrests for $25 ea. I guess I will add more pictures to my previous seat repair thread.

Quick Reply: Creaking/cracking noise in sc 430 roof