SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are the best speakers? JBL, Bose, Harmon Kardon, et..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 11:39 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What are the best speakers? JBL, Bose, Harmon Kardon, et..

Hi everyone,

I think my front speakers need replacing, and maybe the sub too not sure... but front for sure.
I notice many people have DC Gold but I have never heard the sound. Um what do you guys think of JBL? I listen to all kinds of music and I find some systems are good with only certain type of music.. I have experience with Bose, HK, JBL, and now ML.. I find JBL seems to be most compatible and seems very powerful. Bose were great but aside from the bass I think there speakers rip to easily but I cant judge as it couldve been the specific car that I had and I know alot of people say bose is not great but I had that system in an A8 so it was quite powerful. Harman Kardon were great and can really be pushed to there limits. I think HK and JBL are same company? not sure.. Other then that I love klipsch but not sure if they make speakers for cars.. I just have that as a home sound system..

anyhow please give me your thoughts

Last edited by 416tt; 12-13-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 05:42 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hi
I use the Dc Gold 8 ohm 6x9s best speaker I have ever used great speakers.
Old 12-16-13, 06:39 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have DC Gold 6x9s as well and they work fine. I did repair my blown Mark Levinson speaker yesterday though, and may put it back in the car. I did repair the sub as well - it is very easy to do and only costs about $25.
Old 12-16-13, 03:16 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that this system is an 8 ohm system. I worked backwards, looking for what I can find in 8 ohm. Rockford Fosgate was one of the only ones I found besides the DCGold.

RF are known for bass and these perform to the T. It sounds great. If you like classical music, these are not for you. If you keep grey poupon in the glove box, these are not for you. If you like silent movies over the "talkies" these are not for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-change-4.html
Old 12-21-13, 02:48 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Focal Utopias are nice, but they require custom work to fit in the door (and run $4500 LOL). you did ask what was best, though
Old 12-23-13, 02:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
Focal Utopias are nice, but they require custom work to fit in the door (and run $4500 LOL). you did ask what was best, though
LOL !
Old 12-30-13, 08:45 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry for late response and thanks for your replies..

Originally Posted by bacardi11
hi
I use the Dc Gold 8 ohm 6x9s best speaker I have ever used great speakers.
thanks bacardi, how do you find the sound compared to the ML?

Originally Posted by chrisv78
I have DC Gold 6x9s as well and they work fine. I did repair my blown Mark Levinson speaker yesterday though, and may put it back in the car. I did repair the sub as well - it is very easy to do and only costs about $25.
thanks, so your fronts are DC gold also? and any difference after repair? no rattle ?

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
Remember that this system is an 8 ohm system. I worked backwards, looking for what I can find in 8 ohm. Rockford Fosgate was one of the only ones I found besides the DCGold.

RF are known for bass and these perform to the T. It sounds great. If you like classical music, these are not for you. If you keep grey poupon in the glove box, these are not for you. If you like silent movies over the "talkies" these are not for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-change-4.html

thanks for your reply, I do really love bass. I wish I could hear the speakers somewhere to really see what I would like, to be honest I listen to all kinds of music and thats what makes it hard :/... Other then that I saw that thread about the replacement and dynamat.. Very impressive and I love it! im super interested but not sure what material to get? im not looking to do the whole thing but door and around rear sub I guess..

Thanks!

Originally Posted by cheez80
thanks for your reply Lol you got me there :P to be honest I have never heard of those lol and for that much I would like twin turbos or air suspension instead

Btw, happy holidays and happy new year to everyone
Old 12-30-13, 10:08 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I love Focals, but for a little less cost, you could go with Hertz or CDT.
Old 12-31-13, 10:48 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Fronts are DC Gold, but i bought them before learning how easy the repair kits are to use. I have since repaired the front MLs as well as the subwoofer in the back seat. No rattles at all. And the bass is amazing!
Old 12-31-13, 12:58 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mark Levinson name is legendary in high-end audio (I saw Levinson has announced a 40th anniversary reference stereo pre-amp for $30,000). And Toyota is normally very careful in sourcing components for their vehicles, so I am surprised such crappy speakers were used in an otherwise bullet-proof vehicle.

I converted to 6.5" speakers I found on the Parts Express website (GW-S650/8 for $18.35 each). They have a polycone and rubber surround construction, are 8ohm speakers and not particularly efficient (I think around 86dB sensitivity), which fit well for my wife as she does not like a booming bass. They are a good balance with the other speakers, and really sound pretty good for the money, although as with all new speakers (and headphones and earbuds) a period of anywhere from 25-100 hours of break-in time are required at low to medium volumes in order to loosen up or break-in the speaker to get a true idea of what they sound like.

Like most who replace the door speakers, when I opened the panel on the drivers door I was met by a shower of dry-rotted pieces of the speaker surround falling out of the door. I modified the plastic speaker mounting frame slightly and built an adapter out of hard board to hold the 6.5" speaker to the frame. The smaller speakers in both doors were fine.

I then built an identical adapter out of particle board to be ready for a fast change of the passenger side. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door to find no bass speaker at all. No plastic mounting frame either. Just the oval hole in the metal door. Apparently a previous owner had pulled the speaker and either the dealer replacement price scared him away or he couldn't find an 8 ohm replacement and just gave up. I had to make a different mounting plate out of the hard board and make a custom harness to adapt to the speaker connection plug.

Well worth the effort.

But when I operate the front/rear fader on the radio I hear little or nothing from the rear, so I guess that is my next project.

Last edited by SC43052; 12-31-13 at 01:51 PM.