Rear Quarter Window Mod??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 07:23 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Window Mod??

Hi everyone,

so I have been searching about the rear quarter window mod and how it can be done using Lux link but a few have done it without.. From what i understood the lux link is much more complicated to install and im not even sure if there available? but there website still runs..

anyhow im super interested in this mod done by a few smart individuals (thankyou):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...part-deux.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-mod-done.html

now a few questions if anyone could help!
im not sure if the members who did this have had any issues? how relaible is this?
all wiring is at the back of the car and only switch wiring has to be run up to front if im correct?
has anyone else attempted this?
does the rear seating need to be removed?

any other useful info would be great

Thankyou
Old 12-05-13, 07:08 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You can do it easily enough (without a LuxLink) with an inexpensive roll-up/roll-down window module.

They're sold by car alarm places (so that you can have your car windows roll down automatically when you unlock the car, and roll up automatically when you lock the car).

All of the wiring for that is done in the rear seat area.

You'll need to remove the rear seat (just pops out), the headrests, the seat back, and the 2 rear side panels (in that order) to get to the wires.

The window module wires get connected in series with the rear window wiring.

The only thing the LuxLink provided was a way to easily trigger the windows (up or down) with a factory feel (press the driver's side window-down button 3 times and it triggered the roll-down/roll-up module).

So, without a LuxLink, you'll need some way to activate the module up/down. You'll need to install a switch somewhere (center console, etc.) that you can easily access.

One downside to the independent control over the rear windows is...it temporarily locks out the folding top.

If the top is up, and you roll the rear windows down, the only way to get the top working again is to A) put the windows back up into the correct position and then B) turn the car off and back on again.

Ditto for putting the windows up with the top down. Only way to get the top to go up is to the put the windows back down and cycle the ignition.

This is due to how the top computer works. When you manually take control of the rear windows, the top computer sees that the windows moved without it's say-so, and considers that a fault. Once it detects the fault, it stops monitoring. Basically, it gives up.

Hope this info helps.

I don't use the feature often but, when I need it...it's a nice option to have!
Old 12-05-13, 08:51 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Habious
You can do it easily enough (without a LuxLink) with an inexpensive roll-up/roll-down window module.

They're sold by car alarm places (so that you can have your car windows roll down automatically when you unlock the car, and roll up automatically when you lock the car).

All of the wiring for that is done in the rear seat area.

You'll need to remove the rear seat (just pops out), the headrests, the seat back, and the 2 rear side panels (in that order) to get to the wires.

The window module wires get connected in series with the rear window wiring.

The only thing the LuxLink provided was a way to easily trigger the windows (up or down) with a factory feel (press the driver's side window-down button 3 times and it triggered the roll-down/roll-up module).

So, without a LuxLink, you'll need some way to activate the module up/down. You'll need to install a switch somewhere (center console, etc.) that you can easily access.

One downside to the independent control over the rear windows is...it temporarily locks out the folding top.

If the top is up, and you roll the rear windows down, the only way to get the top working again is to A) put the windows back up into the correct position and then B) turn the car off and back on again.

Ditto for putting the windows up with the top down. Only way to get the top to go up is to the put the windows back down and cycle the ignition.

This is due to how the top computer works. When you manually take control of the rear windows, the top computer sees that the windows moved without it's say-so, and considers that a fault. Once it detects the fault, it stops monitoring. Basically, it gives up.

Hope this info helps.

I don't use the feature often but, when I need it...it's a nice option to have!
Thankyou very much for your reply! very helpful !

Now from what I understood, if you play wth the rear window, in order to get the top working you have to do that "ignition cycle" for both the roll up/down module and the diy done by Lexiss_sc430 and hipendul? whats the difference between the two procedures?

To be honest im not ok with the whole ignition cycle thing.. i assume the only way to avoid that is a luxlink? can i still get one? I remember a while back there link was not working but it seems to be working now, ready for order to be placed, im just wondering if i should risk ordering like i did with TM which worked out! oh and did you install the lux link yourself? seems really complicated :/

Thankyou again
Old 12-05-13, 09:09 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Thankyou very much for your reply! very helpful !

Now from what I understood, if you play wth the rear window, in order to get the top working you have to do that "ignition cycle" for both the roll up/down module and the diy done by Lexiss_sc430 and hipendul? whats the difference between the two procedures?

To be honest im not ok with the whole ignition cycle thing.. i assume the only way to avoid that is a luxlink? can i still get one? I remember a while back there link was not working but it seems to be working now, ready for order to be placed, im just wondering if i should risk ordering like i did with TM which worked out! oh and did you install the lux link yourself? seems really complicated :/

Thankyou again
Lexiss_sc430 and hipendul used relays instead of the roll-up/roll down module. But, they both achieve the same goal. A slightly different route to the same destination.

In my opinion, the roll-up/roll-down module is the best way to go. The modules are cheap, come with easy-to-read directions, and they're just plug-n-play.

The LuxLink is, as far as I know, no longer available from Luxury MotorWorks (LMS). He made a bunch then sold them all. A few of us here, a couple of years ago, begged him to do another run of them. He did and we bought them all (a few of us here bought an extra one, just to have as a spare, because we consider it such a vital mod for the car).

However, the LuxLink does NOT make the rear windows go up/down directly. When you bought the LuxLink with the quarter-window option...you got a LuxLink in the box along with a standard, off-the-shelf roll-up/roll-down module. You install the module (like I talked about in Post #2 of this thread) and then LuxLink connects to that module, allowing you to TRIGGER the module from the factory window button.

All the LuxLink does, as far as the quarter windows is concerned, is start the ball rolling. The roll-up/roll-down module is still the one doing the "heavy lifting".

And, as far as I know, all of these solutions require you to cycle the ignition after moving the windows...if you want the top to operate.

This isn't a function of the roll-up/roll-down module or of the LuxLink...this is how Lexus/Toyota chose to make the top computer operate. Once it senses a fault (moving the windows out of position), it locks out the top mechanism completely. Only way to clear the fault is to the turn the car off and back on again (you can do it quickly...I've done it stopped at a light before).

And this lockout is in place so that you don't break anything. If the top is down and you roll up the windows...and then forget to put them back down before putting the top up, you would have a very bad day...unless the top computer was smart enough to realize that something wasn't right, and prevent you from having that bad day.
Old 12-05-13, 11:24 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Lexiss_sc430 and hipendul used relays instead of the roll-up/roll down module. But, they both achieve the same goal. A slightly different route to the same destination.

In my opinion, the roll-up/roll-down module is the best way to go. The modules are cheap, come with easy-to-read directions, and they're just plug-n-play.

The LuxLink is, as far as I know, no longer available from Luxury MotorWorks (LMS). He made a bunch then sold them all. A few of us here, a couple of years ago, begged him to do another run of them. He did and we bought them all (a few of us here bought an extra one, just to have as a spare, because we consider it such a vital mod for the car).

However, the LuxLink does NOT make the rear windows go up/down directly. When you bought the LuxLink with the quarter-window option...you got a LuxLink in the box along with a standard, off-the-shelf roll-up/roll-down module. You install the module (like I talked about in Post #2 of this thread) and then LuxLink connects to that module, allowing you to TRIGGER the module from the factory window button.

All the LuxLink does, as far as the quarter windows is concerned, is start the ball rolling. The roll-up/roll-down module is still the one doing the "heavy lifting".

And, as far as I know, all of these solutions require you to cycle the ignition after moving the windows...if you want the top to operate.

This isn't a function of the roll-up/roll-down module or of the LuxLink...this is how Lexus/Toyota chose to make the top computer operate. Once it senses a fault (moving the windows out of position), it locks out the top mechanism completely. Only way to clear the fault is to the turn the car off and back on again (you can do it quickly...I've done it stopped at a light before).

And this lockout is in place so that you don't break anything. If the top is down and you roll up the windows...and then forget to put them back down before putting the top up, you would have a very bad day...unless the top computer was smart enough to realize that something wasn't right, and prevent you from having that bad day.
that is great info, I guess its just safety then, I was thinking more of a glitch at first but you cleared that for me

but sorry to bother you so much but one last question, I noticed the relay work was just in the trunk and they didnt take rear seat or panels apart? or maybe they just didnt mention it.. or is it exact same installation process as the module? i would like to achieve this but with taking apart the least that i can and could you possibly guide me to the right module, I noticed there is too many.

thankyou again!
Old 12-05-13, 01:58 PM
Habious

Originally Posted by bimmer416
that is great info, I guess its just safety then, I was thinking more of a glitch at first but you cleared that for me

but sorry to bother you so much but one last question, I noticed the relay work was just in the trunk and they didnt take rear seat or panels apart? or maybe they just didnt mention it.. or is it exact same installation process as the module? i would like to achieve this but with taking apart the least that i can and could you possibly guide me to the right module, I noticed there is too many.

thankyou again!
I don't know this particular eBay seller, nor am I endorsing this particular product, but this is the kind you're looking for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ScyTek-WR84-...-/291015329482

You need to make sure it will do two windows up AND down (many advertise as "up/down" modules but, when you read carefully, you'll see that they'll roll your windows up OR down...not both).

As for the trunk versus back seat question...you can attack it from either place. The window motors are (obviously) near the windows, in the back seat. While the top computer is back in the trunk.

I found it easier to install it in the back seat...there's more room back there to work. But, some might find the trunk to be a cleaner installation.

Also, when you're working with the wires that are directly attached to the motors there's no question on if you're working on the correct wire or not. (Are you sitting on the left side of the car? Yes? Good, then you're working on the left window motor!)
Old 12-06-13, 11:50 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

I don't know this particular eBay seller, nor am I endorsing this particular product, but this is the kind you're looking for...

You need to make sure it will do two windows up AND down (many advertise as "up/down" modules but, when you read carefully, you'll see that they'll roll your windows up OR down...not both).

As for the trunk versus back seat question...you can attack it from either place. The window motors are (obviously) near the windows, in the back seat. While the top computer is back in the trunk.

I found it easier to install it in the back seat...there's more room back there to work. But, some might find the trunk to be a cleaner installation.

Also, when you're working with the wires that are directly attached to the motors there's no question on if you're working on the correct wire or not. (Are you sitting on the left side of the car? Yes? Good, then you're working on the left window motor!)
Great info, thankyou very much sir!
Old 12-06-13, 01:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Personally, I consider this a deal-breaker. Anyone considering this mod should think this part through to see whether it is right for them. Good explanation, Habious!
Old 12-06-13, 01:42 PM
Habious

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Personally, I consider this a deal-breaker. Anyone considering this mod should think this part through to see whether it is right for them. Good explanation, Habious!
It's a limitation, to be sure but, I've found that, in actual practice, it's not that much of a deal-breaker.

If the weather is REALLY nice out, I'm putting the top down so, rolling the quarter-windows down is moot.

But, if it's OK out and I want all the windows down but, not the whole top down or (like just the other day), it's really nice out but I've got stuff in the trunk that prevents me from putting the top down...I'll put all 4 windows down.

Yes, I've disabled the top by doing this (at least for that specific trip) but, I wasn't going to put it down anyway.

I've yet to come into a situation where I've put all 4 windows down AND THEN wanted to put the top down.

The only time this is a factor is when you put the top down and then put the windows up (to help with wind).

Again, this is a pretty narrow weather-window of being nice enough to put the top down but, also necessitating putting all 4 windows up.

And, when those situations arise, you just put the quarter-windows back down as you're pulling up to your destination and, once you've parked, you turn off the ignition then restart the car. As fast as it took you to read that is how long it takes.

Park, turn car off, restart car, double-click "close" button (assuming you have a LuxLink), turn car off again, remove key, open door, lock door, close door, walk away.
Old 12-22-13, 10:52 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Posted this in Lexusman01's thread, but thought more of you would see it here. it is so easy.

Had my SC for seven years now and always wanted to get the rear quarters down with the side windows while the roof is up.
Bought LuxLink with the quarter window mod during our group buy, but have never gotten round to fitting it yet.

Wanted to get my windows tinted this year, but my local 'expert' said he would not do it because you cannot get the rear quarters up with the roof down and he would'nt be able to make a proper job of it.

Well along comes a new member Lexusman01 (Rich, who happens to be a Brit) with a simple way to get them down and Bimmer posted a way he had read to get them up with the roof down.

Tried both ways today and they both work an absolute treat and so easy.

As Rich says, you just start to open the roof and as soon as the side windows disappear you then operate the close side of the switch and the trunk closes leaving the windows down, magic!!! It may take a couple of goes to get the timing right.
When you want them up again you just push the close side of the switch again and up they come. The light will stay on the roof switch (not flash) while they are down, but there is no buzzer.

As Bimmer said in his post, when you want the quarters up with the roof down, just turn the ignition on, push the trunk lid opener main switch in the glove box to the inoperative (out) position, push the open side of the roof switch twice slowly (within 10 seconds) and then hold down the close side (within 10 seconds) and the windows will close, magic again.

Thanks a lot guys, I am a very happy bunny today and I can get my windows tinted next year.

This forum is amazing.

Happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year to every CL member.

Best regards

Steve
Old 02-08-15, 08:04 PM
leanwidit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window mod for sc430

Thanks! Great write
Old 02-09-15, 11:45 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by leanwidit
Thanks! Great write
Hi leanwidit

Not sure if your reply was aimed at me, but if it was.

Unfortunately I never followed this up with a
When I tried this the car was on my drive and I never drove the car until a while later.
As soon as you get above 5 mph the buzzer goes off and does not stop, so it is a nono.

Great for getting my windows tinted, but impossible to drive.

I did reply to the original thread, but forgot to reply to this one.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-16-15, 12:49 AM
leanwidit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo....

So there was a situation?
Im guessing the " rear window mod" is a no no?
Old 02-16-15, 06:49 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I believe the only sure fire way to do the quarter window mod is either using a LuxLink (now discontinued) with add on kit, or do a full DIY https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...part-deux.html . Doing the "work around" using the valet button will cause the alarm to sound when going >5mph.
Old 02-24-15, 10:25 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just received the ScyTec WR84 with a temperature ventilation feature. The install page cites model WR-16. I haven't decided where I want to put the switch nor selected yet the actual switch. I am thinking of installing in the rear seat area as you mention but leave the module and fuse in the trunk area near the NavTool which I am working on right now.

Any tips for the switch?

The install page show two wire for the switch - one for up and one for down. Both want a negative signal which I guess is simply ground?

Once I see the NavTool and cameras working I'll attempt this DIY too.

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Window Mod??