SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Price Quote for hubs, bearings and studs, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 10:58 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Price Quote for hubs, bearings and studs, what do you guys think?

Hi everyone,

so im getting the following parts replaced in my car

front - hubs, bearings, studs
rear - studs (he pulled hub out last time, so he claims he wil have to do that again, i told him people have done it with 66mm long studs without pulling out hub he says we dont want to waste time trying to find a spot to sneak the stud in, and that its not a good idea to hammer out studs while the hub is on the car because of bearings and the axle?,..)

my mechanic says 400$.. but i got him to lower to 350$.. you guys think thats fair price?
Old 11-26-13, 11:49 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Hi everyone,

so im getting the following parts replaced in my car

front - hubs, bearings, studs
rear - studs (he pulled hub out last time, so he claims he wil have to do that again, i told him people have done it with 66mm long studs without pulling out hub he says we dont want to waste time trying to find a spot to sneak the stud in, and that its not a good idea to hammer out studs while the hub is on the car because of bearings and the axle?,..)

my mechanic says 400$.. but i got him to lower to 350$.. you guys think thats fair price?
Hi Bimmer

Can't give you any idea about cost as I am in the UK, but believe me the studs knock out with just a little tap (at least mine did and it is a 2002, so they had been in a long time) and it couldn't be simpler to find the position to put the long ones in, see my photo I sent you in your last thread.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-26-13, 04:52 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Bimmer

Can't give you any idea about cost as I am in the UK, but believe me the studs knock out with just a little tap (at least mine did and it is a 2002, so they had been in a long time) and it couldn't be simpler to find the position to put the long ones in, see my photo I sent you in your last thread.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

thanks for your response, I agree after I saw your photo it definately looks possible... I just assume he just doesnt want to attempt as he hasnt tried before... but when the moment comes, ill just ask him to go ahead and hammer without touching the hub at all.. He does everything infront of me so ill just ask him..

btw your car looks great! love the ride height and those wheels, are you on 20's?

Thanks Again,
Mo

Last edited by 416tt; 11-26-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-28-13, 12:07 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Hi Steve,

thanks for your response, I agree after I saw your photo it definately looks possible... I just assume he just doesnt want to attempt as he hasnt tried before... but when the moment comes, ill just ask him to go ahead and hammer without touching the hub at all.. He does everything infront of me so ill just ask him..

btw your car looks great! love the ride height and those wheels, are you on 20's?

Thanks Again,
Mo
Hi Mo

Thanks for your comments, no mine are 19"s and I am on air so that is not the ride height in my sig picture, but the all down position.

All I did to remove the studs was to put a lug not on the stud and give it a sharp tap with a club hammer and they popped out easy and as long as your new studs are not much longer than mine they go in easy. Take my picture with you and show your mechanic.

Larger picture of my wheels.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Price Quote for hubs, bearings and studs, what do you guys think?-dsc_3715aaa.jpg  
Old 12-02-13, 01:15 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hi Mo

Thanks for your comments, no mine are 19"s and I am on air so that is not the ride height in my sig picture, but the all down position.

All I did to remove the studs was to put a lug not on the stud and give it a sharp tap with a club hammer and they popped out easy and as long as your new studs are not much longer than mine they go in easy. Take my picture with you and show your mechanic.

Best regards
Steve
That looks great! Love it!

and yes the work is done tomorrow so ill keep your pics handy ! the newer studs are much shorter so all hes gotta do is take the long ones out...I think it should work out!

Thankyou again Steve!
Old 12-02-13, 02:31 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Mo

Best regards
Steve
Your car is gorgeous ! We'll done sir!
Old 12-03-13, 12:02 PM
WIL44
Instructor

That looks great! Love it!

and yes the work is done tomorrow so ill keep your pics handy ! the newer studs are much shorter so all hes gotta do is take the long ones out...I think it should work out!

Thankyou again Steve!
You are more than welcome Mo, hope it works out.

Thanks for your comment about my car. Just had her annual service and she is wrapped up and tucked away for the winter now with a battery tender connected.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-03-13, 12:03 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by tromly
Your car is gorgeous ! We'll done sir!
Thanks very much Tromly.

Cheers
Steve