SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Don't use DETAIL DOCTOR!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 02:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Don't use DETAIL DOCTOR!

So I gave this stuff, Detail Doctor, a run. Not happy with the results. I tested it on a few areas in the car and it looked great. So I did the leather and vinyl, as per the directions on the label. It went on really nicely and gave a super nice shine; smelled awesome too (like caramel). Didn't taste like caramel (j/k). I thought it would be a good product for the rubber gaskets of the top. Made them look great and brand new, dark, and black. But after a night, the interior dressing had absorbed unevenly and even left some type of sticky residue on some surfaces; the wood especially. On the exterior, where there was "overspray," around the gaskets there way some type of residue that apparently has to be removed with isopropyl alcohol (according to the directions), but the gaskets look great. Truly not worth the money or headache, I would suggest everyone avoid it. Going back to classic Meguire and Armorall Products.
Old 11-07-13, 02:59 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I gave this stuff, Detail Doctor, a run. Not happy with the results. I tested it on a few areas in the car and it looked great. So I did the leather and vinyl, as per the directions on the label. It went on really nicely and gave a super nice shine; smelled awesome too (like caramel). Didn't taste like caramel (j/k). I thought it would be a good product for the rubber gaskets of the top. Made them look great and brand new, dark, and black. But after a night, the interior dressing had absorbed unevenly and even left some type of sticky residue on some surfaces; the wood especially. On the exterior, where there was "overspray," around the gaskets there way some type of residue that apparently has to be removed with isopropyl alcohol (according to the directions), but the gaskets look great. Truly not worth the money or headache, I would suggest everyone avoid it. Going back to classic Meguire and Armorall Products.
Give "303 Aerospace Protectant" a try, good stuff!
Old 11-07-13, 03:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot1
Give "303 Aerospace Protectant" a try, good stuff!
I have a bottle of 303 and it's good stuff but I was looking for something will a little more shine to it and a little more nourishing for the fine cracks in the leather.
Old 11-07-13, 03:44 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have a bottle of 303 and it's good stuff but I was looking for something will a little more shine to it and a little more nourishing for the fine cracks in the leather.
I've found if you don't buff 303 after you apply, it will leave more shine, Lexol oil may help with the cracks.
Old 11-07-13, 06:09 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

You can't nourish the leather. It is coated with polyurethane and is impermeable. This is why leather in cars lasts so much longer now compared to 30 years ago.
Old 11-07-13, 06:14 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd recommend using Lexol cleaner and conditioner on your leather. And 303 Aerospace on the seals.
Old 11-08-13, 05:44 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the Lexol also for vinyl - Lexol Vinylex and rubber - One Grand Exterior Rubber & Vinyl
I stay away for Armorall products.