ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010-63/)
-   -   SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/713356-sc430-passenger-airbag-recall.html)

Idaho430 10-13-13 04:18 PM

SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall

Wondering how many on here have received notice of a factory recall for a defective passenger airbag on our SC's? Our 2002 was called in and the dealer said they wouldn't know if the recall applied until they completely disassembled the interior dash/trim/console!

barncat 10-13-13 06:18 PM

Check recent forum topic on the recall. A lot is explained there. Use the search engine for (sc430 airbag recall.)

SC43052 10-13-13 08:08 PM

In this case I wouldn't blame Lexus, I would blame the dealer.

What a bunch of bone-heads. Ahead of your visit they know the exact work to be done, and they know exactly which part will be needed. Why would they schedule the work without the part being in stock. And then try to leave you without a car for 10 days! Unbelievable. After you get your car back I would write a letter to Lexus.

I may never take mine in after hearing horror stories of things not working after they are done putting the dash back together.

Idaho430 10-14-13 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by SC43052 (Post 8186128)
Why would they schedule the work without the part being in stock.

Yep...basically my point. They claim they never know when an individual car rolls in if it will require the fix so it doesn't make sense to have the parts on hand. Seems like they could figure there will be at least some vehicles that will need it though. :egads:

Originally Posted by SC43052 (Post 8186128)
I may never take mine in after hearing horror stories of things not working after they are done putting the dash back together.

This occurred to me as well but I wasn't going to drive around with a malfunctioning airbag. My wife is often in the passenger seat and I couldn't live with that with a clear conscience. Hoping they get it right.

momssc 10-14-13 07:40 AM

[QUOTE=Idaho430;8185863]Wondering how many on here have received notice of a factory recall for a defective passenger airbag on our SC's? Our 2002 was called in and the dealer said they wouldn't know if the recall applied until they completely disassembled the interior dash/trim/console! We left the car with them for the day and didn't hear back until almost closing time. When they did call they said that our vehicle did indeed have the malfunctioning part and that it would take approximately 10 days to get the part in! They would have to keep the car the whole time because it was actually illegal for them to return it w/o the airbag properly working. They were going to leave us hanging but we fought for (and eventually got) a loaner for the whole time, but the whole thing seems a bit screwy to me. Why would Lexus recall a part and not readily make it available to dealers? :confused:[/QUOTE

After you get the car back, can you post your build date that is on the sticker on the door jamb?THX

MDames2 10-14-13 07:54 AM

When I called to book an appointment to take my wife's 2003 in for the airbag recall, they scheduled it about 10 days later to allow for the part to be in stock when I came. As it turned out, we didn't need to have the sensor replaced. But this is what the dealer should have done for you.

Harold57 10-14-13 10:44 AM

I put my experience in the second link on the recall.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...4-sc430-7.html

Moondog 10-15-13 03:55 AM

I did get the notice and took my car in last week. The dealer here in Atlanta was very kind and apologetic that it would take so long. The did say that Lexus would not send the part until needed. I took my SC in on Saturday and they said it would not be ready until Wed/Thur of the following week. The initial check took about 1 hour. I drove off in a loaner/courtesy car that they quickly offered. They called yesterday (Monday) to give me an update.

Idaho430 10-16-13 05:51 PM

Latest word from the dealer is that the part will take two full business weeks to even arrive in town! Right when the sweet fall weather has just hit here. Sunny and and mild out and my convertible is sitting in a garage somewhere completely torn apart! :cry:

PATLESS 10-16-13 06:33 PM

airbag recall?

Took my 02 in yesterday and they said they would do it the next day. I have an rx to enjoy in the meantime. I asked them to write on the invoice that my SC had a perfect dash with no blemishes, and everything worked perfectly, they did. Called today and was told it would be done Thrusday. The service adviser also said that the dash did not have to come out, they are able to do the work from under the dash??? Has anyone else heard this, or are they trying to get away with something. Very interesting, will post an update

Idaho430 10-17-13 03:35 PM

Latest update....THE PART IS BACK ORDERED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. More bad news on what is turning out to be a major debacle.

Patless-The dash must be pretty completely dismantled to swap out the inflator. I have seen mine sitting in the dealer's garage and believe me it is not just the glove box that comes out for the repair (to check if they need to do the repair yes...but not the repair itself.)

ShawnOk 10-23-13 01:35 PM

Dropped my car off today in regards to the recall at Eskridge Lexus in OKC, and they gave me 2014 RX450 loaner with less than 200 miles on it. They won't actually be able to check my car out until tomorrow morning to see if the inflator actually needs replacement. If it will take more than a day then I will keep the loaner til it's completed as I live about 100 miles away from the dealership. Luckily they have the part in stock so if it does need replacement they will start right away. I had to fill them in on my modifications, especially about the media player and wires that run through the glove box and near the shifter for my audio integration. Hopefully they won't destroy anything in the repair. As recommended, I took photos and video of the entire interior and instrument cluster to show no Check Engine Lights exist, as well as that all the interior parts are functional and no tears or scratches to the leather or side panels. I showed them the slight "bubble" I have forming on the dash (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sh-bubble.html), and they said they will try to fix it while they have the dash apart. Tech said he's never seen anything like it before. Tech asked if the top still works. Apparently they have to drop the top to remove the ENTIRE front dash, center console/radio, and side pillars if it actually needs the repair. He said they've done two other recalls already. Anyway, I will update as I find out more. Fingers crossed that they don't destroy my baby.

lexie 10-24-13 11:58 PM

I think the best technician to work on this recall is the AC technicians specialize in replacing the ac evaporator since he has to remove the whole dash to get to the evaporator.