SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 07:26 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Hey ShawnOK - should have taken the loaner on a test drive to Chicago, spent the night there and brought it back with an empty tank...
Old 10-26-13, 02:50 AM
PATLESS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took lexus 3 days to finish my car. Of course the dash was removed, even though the servise advisor insisted it did not. When I examinrd the interior, the first thing I noticed was the leather on the steering wheel was ripped. everything else appeared to be ok, and they told me to keep the loaner, and they will take care of the wheel. Long story short, they replaced the steering wheel, said it cost $2200. Went to pick it up, service advisors said the service manager would take care of me. He could not have been more accommodating.
Well, the steering wheel was spanking brand new, only one little problem, the color was way way off. The rest of the wood trim was about 10 shades lighter than the steering wheel. They ordered new steering wheel and will call when it comes in. I am not very confident that the color will ever be right, just hoping they can match it better. Will post an update soon.
Almost forgot, the face plate covering the info and heating controls got scratched and will be replaced
Old 12-13-13, 01:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I went to the dealer today for the IS Cam Gear recall and found out that this dealer has managed to come up with a better process of doing the airbag recall without tearing down the whole dash.

I feel better and will now take in the SC for the airbag deal. Whew!

However I was told that I will probably be given a loaner as well due to the fact that they want to make sure they have enough time to do it right. I guess they have an allotted time from corporate on this job. However if they damage anything during the process, the dealer (not Lexus) eats it.

So at the end of the day, the dealer has to shape up and be careful. We all have to be diligent enough to pay attention and make sure we hold them up accountable. Firm but proper, no need to be mean.
Old 12-13-13, 02:33 PM
momssc
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I went to the dealer today for the IS Cam Gear recall and found out that this dealer has managed to come up with a better process of doing the airbag recall without tearing down the whole dash.

I feel better and will now take in the SC for the airbag deal. Whew!

However I was told that I will probably be given a loaner as well due to the fact that they want to make sure they have enough time to do it right. I guess they have an allotted time from corporate on this job. However if they damage anything during the process, the dealer (not Lexus) eats it.

So at the end of the day, the dealer has to shape up and be careful. We all have to be diligent enough to pay attention and make sure we hold them up accountable. Firm but proper, no need to be mean.

I bet they will take more apart than you was told. They probably came up with that to try and make the owners feel better about all the horror stories that are coming out of this recall. I will take my chances and avoid this.

I have a 2011 Camry that will need warranty work but I don't trust ANY of the local dealers to touch my car. But I will have to sooner or later because it's a major issue..
Old 12-13-13, 08:12 PM
tdedden
Rookie

Idaho, what part of the state are you in. Boise for me!
Old 12-14-13, 01:00 PM
MadHungari
Rookie

Default Question for Mandy . . .

I'm about to take mine in for the recall. Which of our two dealers here in Atlanta indicated it could do the work without a full takedown of the dash? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-13, 05:38 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by tdedden
Idaho, what part of the state are you in. Boise for me!
Northern part for me. Near Coeur d'Alene. Our local dealer did a decent job (from what I can tell) with the dash and airbag but then damaged the back seat when the tech left parts resting on the soft leather for weeks (yeah, it took that long.) They are nice but somewhat incompetent usually.

Last edited by Idaho430; 12-16-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-16-13, 05:39 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by MadHungari
I'm about to take mine in for the recall. Which of our two dealers here in Atlanta indicated it could do the work without a full takedown of the dash? Thanks for the info.
Nalley Galleria! That's where my cars go to. If you wait for mine to be done, I will let you know and could recommend a Service Guy.
Old 12-16-13, 05:40 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by momssc
I bet they will take more apart than you was told. They probably came up with that to try and make the owners feel better about all the horror stories that are coming out of this recall. I will take my chances and avoid this.

I have a 2011 Camry that will need warranty work but I don't trust ANY of the local dealers to touch my car. But I will have to sooner or later because it's a major issue..
I suggest that you be clear when taking your car in that you have concerns. Good luck to you.
Old 12-16-13, 10:14 AM
tdedden
Rookie

Originally Posted by Idaho430
Northern part for me. Near Coeur d'Alene. Our local dealer did a decent job (from what I can tell) with the dash and airbag but then damaged the back seat when the tech left parts resting on the soft leather for weeks (yeah, it took that long.) They are nice but somewhat incompetent usually.
That's too bad (and concerning) that it took weeks to complete the work and that your upholstery was damaged. One would think that a Lexus service tech would be aware not to do that! Hope that they made things right for you.
Old 12-16-13, 03:17 PM
MadHungari
Rookie

Default Thank you, Mandyfiq, . . .

. . . for your offer. Yes, I would indeed appreciate your assistance. And I hope your work goes well.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Nalley Galleria! That's where my cars go to. If you wait for mine to be done, I will let you know and could recommend a Service Guy.
Old 12-26-13, 04:32 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my 2003 in to Alderson in Lubbock. They couldn't have been more accommodating. Took them a couple of days, and they did indeed have to remove the entire dash, steering wheel, etc to get it done. End result, no issues whatever.
Old 12-26-13, 07:51 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by davidsaxe
Took my 2003 in to Alderson in Lubbock. They couldn't have been more accommodating. Took them a couple of days, and they did indeed have to remove the entire dash, steering wheel, etc to get it done. End result, no issues whatever.
Glad it worked out (for someone! LOL) Not as pleasant an experience for many others.
Old 12-27-13, 05:03 AM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mandy, I took my to the Lexus dealer in Roswell. They did a great job. There was no damage to my car. However, I wasn't real pleased with their lack of attention to detail. I did the upgrade to the radio and have bluetooth installed. I had the wire and microphone running around the windshield out of sight...when I got in my car it was all just dangling. It was like they didn't even see it. Or, since it wasn't OEM, they didn't care. But, car was perfect in every other way. It truly is the best car, and funnest convertible I have ever had...and I have had a few. In the past I have owned a Miata, BMW, and a Thunderbird (all convertibles of course). So, my bucket list is getting shorter...it doesn't have many left on it. :-)
Old 12-27-13, 05:37 AM
mandyfig

Keith, the Roswell Lexus is also a Nalley Lexus, owned by the same people as Smyrna Galleria. So I am not surprised that they did good. Just a little disappointed with the mike thing. Did they end up replacing the inflator? Did you get a loaner?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: SC430 Passenger Airbag Recall