SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Removed front license plate; how to fill holes in bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 08:04 AM
Cliff1F2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed front license plate; how to fill holes in bumper?

I hope someone may have a viable suggestion short of replacing the entire front bumper. As the title states, I have removed the front license plate holder, and would like to fill the holes where it was screwed into the front bumper. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
Old 09-20-13, 08:10 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the material ABS or something else? If ABS fill with appropriate ABS adhesive mixed with ABS powder, sand and paint. But I'm just guessing. I'm sure the body experts will give you better advice!!!!
Old 09-20-13, 11:11 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if Lexus makes those but on Honda S2000 you could buy the hole filler from Honda to plug them holes up.
Old 09-20-13, 11:35 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My previous silver bimmer had a few extra holes in front bumper, since i didnt want to sand because it usually end up large, I put tape around inch by inch, filled the hole, then used a dremel to take off extra plastic and sprayed over so it was unoticeable

Last edited by 416tt; 09-20-13 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 02:35 PM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default filling bumper holes

If you don't mind two fairly inconspicuous, dime sized round "bumps" Google up the website for "Bumper Plugs." I used them for my SC400 and it worked out well. You furnish the paint code and they send you two little "plugs" perfectly paint matched. You drill a particular sized hole and press the stems through the bumper until the "plugs" are flush. Looks pretty clean.
Old 09-20-13, 06:27 PM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on bumper plugs.
Old 09-20-13, 06:39 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i never seen bumper plugs :/, but unfortunately i had to sand since a bit of plastic was sticking out, i guess the previous owner was trying to find the center making holes everywhere lol instead of measuring
Old 09-21-13, 06:14 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

While you are getting the bumper plugs, which I have on both my cars, order up yourself one of the plugs for the keyhole on the driver's side door. These also can be painted any color, and, especially on the SC, add a very elegant touch.
Highly recommended.
Old 09-30-13, 12:57 PM
Cliff1F2
Rookie

Bumper plugs it is then...thanks folks!
Old 09-25-20, 04:47 PM
retarded
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: Rear License Plate Screw Size Please - NEED HELP

Does anyone have the Rear License Plate Screw Size?

I think it is either M5 or M6 but, not sure. My screw keeps spinning and I think its not long enough.

Thank you and have a good day!
Old 09-25-20, 05:38 PM
tfischer

It's the "standard" plate screw size, I think. I just buy the set of vinyl ones at the car parts store, and those have worked on all my cars so far, and they don't rust and lock themselves into the socket.
Old 09-26-20, 02:45 AM
retarded
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip on the rust. But, will the nylon or vinyl screws work if I want to attach a reverse camera on there or are the metal screws better for theft deterrent? I think the regular screws are better.

I measured the screw and it seems like it is around 5.5mm to 5.8mm diameter and just not sure if that is the M5 or M6 screw. Amazon sells a set with 3 different sizes for Imports. So confusing trying to get back into the SC430 and I wished it was easier for me to buy a convertible.

What is a good convertible to buy? I may give up on this project and sell all my parts I accumulated for 3 years trying to buy the SC430.
FULL no Tire Spare Tire Kit, MeisterR Coilovers (older version spring rates), ISF Sway Bar (Being Delivered but, will sell), CUSCO FR Strut Bar (NEW just delivered SELL CHEAP), 1 Front Window Size roll Ceramic TINT, various NEW suspension parts (Lower Ball Joint, FR MEVO Lower Control Arms ON Sale at Rock Auto NOW), Bushings, 5 qrt Oil, NAVIKS (Being Delivered), GROM AUDIO USB3 (Being Delivered) ................. ALL FOR SALE......... MAKE ME OFFER

I WISH MY LIFE DID NOT SUCK SO BAD. MY LOSS your GAIN........................ Peace Out and ONE Love ALL...........................
Old 09-26-20, 06:44 AM
tfischer

Any thief who can unscrew a nylon screw can unscrew a metal screw, so I don't think that's a factor. If you are going to attach something other than a thin frame, you simply need a longer screw.
If you measurements give you a result of something between 5.5 to 5.8, you need something more precise to measure with. Or, take the screw to a hardware store and use their gauges to see which hole the screw goes into. This will give you a precise measurement.
What's a "good convertible to buy"? There are not too many out there, but if you have the money, the LC500 is the hot car right now. Otherwise, you might want to look at an Audi A5, new or used.
I've had an SC430, drove it for 14 years, and would not recommend it unless you are not going to drive it a lot. There are a good number of them out there on the market, so perhaps your long nightmare is about to be over (search for cars nationally, not just near you, as this is not a common car).
Old 09-26-20, 12:46 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I've had an SC430, drove it for 14 years, and would not recommend it unless you are not going to drive it a lot.
I wonder if you could elaborate, please.
Old 09-26-20, 02:42 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Yea, that is an extremely odd comment by someone that I don't even recognize on this forum about a car that has in my estimation been the very best car I have ever owned from the standpoint of reliability. Also, a little stupid to put it in those terms.

Last edited by iolmaster; 09-26-20 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Removed front license plate; how to fill holes in bumper?