SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Picking up my sc today- Restalled Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 08:12 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Picking up my sc today- Restalled Torque Converter

I'm picking up my sc430 from SRT today. The restalled torque converter is supposed to make the sc430 much faster off the line. I'll let everyone know how it goes!!
Old 06-18-13, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

What was done exactly?
Old 06-18-13, 09:33 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Wink torque converter restall

As far as I understand, the torque converter (tc) connects the engine to the transmission. Inside the tc, there is a set "stall" speed. The stall speed is the speed that you achieve the maximum torque at a given level of RPM.

In the stock sc430, the stall speed is high. As such you have to mush down on the accelerator to get to your optimal power given the RPM. I think the purpose of the high stall speed in the sc430 is for mpg. But it also makes the car slow off the line.

I used to own a Nissan 350, and I loved how the car exploded off the line. The 350z has a low stall speed, acheiving max power lower in the RPM band. I sold my 350z because I found it uncomfortable and I did not like the interior.

One of the things that have always bothered me about my sc430 is that it is not fast out of the gate. I'll let you know if the tc restall actually makes a difference.

Total sticker price was about $1000 for parts and labor. My fiance is starting to get really annoying with how much money (and time) I am putting into this car...
Old 06-18-13, 09:34 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I did that once on a car high stall speed converter. I had to put on a deeper transmission pan so it would have more oil. In the end it burned out in two years . I did not abuse it. I may have had an issue with the oil pick up not being able to reach the larger oil pan .
Old 06-18-13, 09:41 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I could see how this is a risk. All-in-all, if my sc430 is fast off the line I will be very happy. SRT also did some incredible work with my intake and chip, and I am hoping for equal or greater results in this case. The owner also says he was very conservative in his tuning. I definetly need to stop messing with my sc and just enjoy it now. :-)
Old 06-18-13, 10:51 AM
reelbb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I'm never in the 'bat-outta-hell' mode when I'm in the SC. Maybe I'm getting old . Anyway, congrats on the mod.

Just one word of warning, the PE torque convertors tend to heat up our transmission fluid quite a bit. A transmission cooler mod should definitely be next on your list, very easy mod to do and there's a ton of info on the 2GS forum here.

And if anyone is interested, there's a PE torque convertor for sale in the 2GS classifieds.
Old 06-18-13, 01:22 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
just so you know are cars have a low speed convertor in them. a higher speed convertor is about 2600 or more is what they put in your car. you will need a trans cooler for your car if not, your trans will not last. what stall speed did you get? the car will rev. higher before the car will move. that the way it works. in my vett. my stall speed was 3800.

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-18-13 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 08:54 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default thanks

Hi Bacardi,

Thanks for explaining the stall speed. I'm not sure about what stall speed was set, but SRT said it was very conservative. I've always dreamed about my sc being faster off the line, so that's why I chose to do this mod and take the risk. The car feels great.

As far as bang for the buck, the money I sunk into the restall wasn't nearly as effective as the intake and chip. The intake and chip made a huge difference. Also, my Sprint Booster really helps that car reduce drive by wire lag. For only 300 dollars, in my oppinion the Sprint Booster gives the most bang for the buck with the intake and chip a close second.

Once I have a chance I will do some 0-60 runs. My best without the restall has been 6.65, even though I'm positive I could have done better...

Anyways thanks for your help. Cheers, Lex