SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall for 02-04 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 05:59 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the 2nd letter asking me to call dealer for an appt.

It takes 5 hrs or longer. Anyone has done the service? The thought of taking apart the dash makes me shudder.
Old 09-02-13, 05:00 AM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received the "Call to make appointment" letter Saturday (Aug 31). The dealer is over 100 miles from me, so I don't just pop by. I do need a new tire pressure sensor, so I think I'll have them fix that too.
Seems to me that, like a windshield replacement, you'd want whatever sealant they use in addition to the clip hardware to have sufficient time to cure properly before it hits the road again.
Old 09-03-13, 07:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

A friend of mine had his done. Car wash and a full tank of gas...
Old 09-03-13, 07:23 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have not received a letter yet for the SC. My RX330 has a pending recall as well, carper clip, been procastinating on this.
Old 09-03-13, 09:37 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not received the 2nd letter yet...
Old 09-03-13, 10:17 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default not recieved letter

I have not received the second letter as well..
Old 09-03-13, 11:59 AM
snoop562
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont have to wait for the letters, i just called the dealer and made an appointment.
Old 09-03-13, 12:36 PM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coincidently got mine as the car was at the dealer getting a 10 year everything service at 30k miles. Checked the details of the fix & thought oh f#%^. 5 hrs. Labor the dash will rattle forever when their done. Well good news came my way when I picked it up. Seems not all cars in the recall campaign require the wafer replacement. Apparently it's relatively simple to dismantle the glove box to the point there is what was described as a barcode that is scanned & uploaded to Lexus. They can then quickly determine if your sc is affected. Sure glad mine wasn't , 5hrs
of dash dismemberment can't be good
Old 09-03-13, 12:38 PM
JoeVinnie
Driver School Candidate

I received my second letter. It states it is for 2002-2003 SC 430's, so you folks with newer SC's are not affected.

I called the dealer today for an appointment hoping for day after tomorrow. First appointment available is Monday the 16th. The only do one per week. Something to do with availability of parts.

Said it may take a few days. I asked why and service guy said they have only done one so far. Another next week, then mine the week after. It is a new thing to them. They have to take the entire dash and some of the steering stuff out to get to it????

Anyway, I am thinking about upgrading the radio to one that has bluetooth and Satellite radio, since the dash is apart, they "should" be able to do this change without much effort.

Has anyone upgraded their radio and to what?

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-04-13, 05:02 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Well, my baby is in the shop for the recall. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Old 09-04-13, 09:57 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my 02 recall completed over the weekend. Free loaner, top off tank and a top quality well done job.
Old 09-05-13, 06:36 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just dropped my 02 off at the dealer here in upstate NY. Pray for me as this is their first time and for my area with very few SC430s, will probably be their only time.
Old 09-05-13, 04:05 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gstanton
Coincidently got mine as the car was at the dealer getting a 10 year everything service at 30k miles. Checked the details of the fix & thought oh f#%^. 5 hrs. Labor the dash will rattle forever when their done. Well good news came my way when I picked it up. Seems not all cars in the recall campaign require the wafer replacement. Apparently it's relatively simple to dismantle the glove box to the point there is what was described as a barcode that is scanned & uploaded to Lexus. They can then quickly determine if your sc is affected. Sure glad mine wasn't , 5hrs
of dash dismemberment can't be good
I lucked out as well. They checked the bar-code at the glove box area and mine was the newest version of the wafer! No need to pull the dash! Why it took 7 hours to determine this is beyond me but I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little!). I did get the free car wash, tire black and a topped off gas tank. (Had I known that I would have gone in with less gas!!) They didn't, however, vacuum the trunk (maybe that's too much to ask) LOL I was offered a loaner as well but turned it down. All in all, a good experience with Bobby Rahal Lexus in Mechanicsburg, Pa! .
Old 09-05-13, 08:19 PM
momssc
Driver

Originally Posted by barncat
I lucked out as well. They checked the bar-code at the glove box area and mine was the newest version of the wafer! No need to pull the dash! Why it took 7 hours to determine this is beyond me but I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little!). I did get the free car wash, tire black and a topped off gas tank. (Had I known that I would have gone in with less gas!!) They didn't, however, vacuum the trunk (maybe that's too much to ask) LOL I was offered a loaner as well but turned it down. All in all, a good experience with Bobby Rahal Lexus in Mechanicsburg, Pa! .
Well then it must have to do with when your cars were built so let's have it!
Old 09-05-13, 10:49 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I received my 2nd letter.. guess I will take it in next week.

Quick Reply: Recall for 02-04 Sc430