SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Center wood panel with radio open close button

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 11:53 PM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center wood panel with radio open close button

My newly purchased SC has the open close button missing that functions the wood cover over the stereo. I can manually open and close the wood but I need the button.

I thought the previous owner probably pushed so hard it fell inside so i opened it up but the button isnt there and I noticed a few plugs are disconnected. No clue what they are for but i'll assume one of them plugs into the back of that open close button.

Anyways so looks like I need the button along with its back electronic plug piece but i can't find it online anywhere. Any help?
Old 05-27-13, 02:27 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Hi Alex818, I think this is what you are looking for. I have a 2003, and I am not sure if this part changed through the years, but I doubt it. The part number is 8493124030. With our CL discount with Sewell Lexus, the part is $81.93.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2003.html
Old 05-27-13, 03:00 AM
Alex818
Driver

Good job! That's exactly what I need. Now I hope the rest of the mechanism and electronics work if not ill be stuck with this

Originally Posted by srqmark
Hi Alex818, I think this is what you are looking for. I have a 2003, and I am not sure if this part changed through the years, but I doubt it. The part number is 8493124030. With our CL discount with Sewell Lexus, the part is $81.93.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2003.html
Old 05-27-13, 09:51 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Note when you take the console wood section up you will find a 2 wire connector that is plugged into nothing. This connector was for a may day [ emergency phone installation ] You will also see that this connector is normally plugged into a hollow area under the wood console to keep it out of its way. When I found this connector loose it drove me nuts trying to figure out where it belonged. My car is a 2005 but I am pretty sure you will find this connector in your year car as well.
Old 05-27-13, 10:43 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know how well it works and if possible post some photos of your progress.

The button om my 2002 sticks and so if I cannot figure out how to make it release automatically (pop back out when released) I may have to do the same surgery.

If anyone has any ideas on repair without removal please let me know. I have tried electronics parts cleaner and repeated actuation using a sticky pad to pull it out (which is how I found out about it in the first place).

Chris
Old 05-27-13, 12:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

The one your holding I believe is the connector I referred to in my other post. the radio it self will have a two or three wire harness that plugs into the missing switch that then clips into the area that allows for the switch to recess
Old 05-27-13, 12:33 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisv78
Let us know how well it works and if possible post some photos of your progress.

The button om my 2002 sticks and so if I cannot figure out how to make it release automatically (pop back out when released) I may have to do the same surgery.

If anyone has any ideas on repair without removal please let me know. I have tried electronics parts cleaner and repeated actuation using a sticky pad to pull it out (which is how I found out about it in the first place).

Chris
As I recall this button does not pop out at all. Its a simple push once door open push again door close. I will check my car to see if I am right. It should be just a spring loaded switch that operates when ever it is pressed
Old 05-27-13, 01:22 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrblister
As I recall this button does not pop out at all. Its a simple push once door open push again door close. I will check my car to see if I am right. It should be just a spring loaded switch that operates when ever it is pressed
Thanks. You are correct in that you push to open then push again to close. However there is a ready position (potentially spring loaded) which returns the button to a ready state to move the door. I have found 2 ways to return the button to ready: pull the button outward using a sticky pad (plastic pad that keeps your phone from sliding) or pressing the wood console on either side of the button. When in ready state, the button is a couple of mm outside of the front of the console. When not ready it seems to be flush. I believe the previous owner may have spilled a soda on the console.
Old 05-27-13, 03:18 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alex818
this is what it looks like inside. Very dirty Notice the entire open close component is missing. Not sure where it would plug into. And dont know what that other disconnected plug is for (the one im holding with the index finger)
May I ask as to why it is so dirty inside. Where is this dirt coming from?
Old 05-27-13, 03:54 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Check out Bob's radio installation instructions for the door switch. I believe his pdf was called "2002 LEXUS SC430 RADIO HEAD UNIT REPLACEMENT PROJECT" or something like that. His thread should be something similar. (Or maybe radio replacement with a Beatsonic adaptor?) He points out a lot of items worth knowing when you are opening up the console.

It looks like the previous owner had some spillage accidents on the console. Maybe that is what killed the switch and he decided to take it out rather than repair it. (If that is the case, don't trust that he did any of the recommended maintenance work either and go and take care of those items yourself just to be safe.)

Good luck.
Old 05-27-13, 04:04 PM
Alex818
Driver

Thank you Harold. And here's the PDF you're talking about http://www.beatsonicusa.com/Instruct...VA-12L_DIY.pdf

Originally Posted by Harold57
Check out Bob's radio installation instructions for the door switch. I believe his pdf was called "2002 LEXUS SC430 RADIO HEAD UNIT REPLACEMENT PROJECT" or something like that. His thread should be something similar. (Or maybe radio replacement with a Beatsonic adaptor?) He points out a lot of items worth knowing when you are opening up the console.

It looks like the previous owner had some spillage accidents on the console. Maybe that is what killed the switch and he decided to take it out rather than repair it. (If that is the case, don't trust that he did any of the recommended maintenance work either and go and take care of those items yourself just to be safe.)

Good luck.
Old 05-27-13, 05:11 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

If you clean up the wires so you can see the color code you could re-connect them. Is that the switch you circled .If so should be an easy fix
Old 05-27-13, 07:10 PM
Alex818
Driver

I just re-examined and it doesn't look like anything connects to this (the pic: circled in red). I'll clean up the wires, remove the tape, take better pix and report back.

Originally Posted by mrblister
If you clean up the wires so you can see the color code you could re-connect them. Is that the switch you circled .If so should be an easy fix
Old 05-27-13, 07:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default switch

I just re-examined and it doesn't look like anything connects to this (the pic: circled in red). I'll clean up the wires, remove the tape, take better pix and report back.
The actual switch has a small 2 pin connector that the other side of the wires from the radio plugs into. I cant tell from the circle if that is the switch
Old 06-03-13, 12:15 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Default How do you use the CL discount?`

Good job! That's exactly what I need. Now I hope the rest of the mechanism and electronics work if not ill be stuck with this
I am confused now. I would like to order this part from Sewell, but cannot figure out how to use the CL discount. I called Sewell, and the nice lady on the phone said I should insert my CL member number in the order somewhere. She said that is what she always tells people when they ask. I tried my member login name in the discount code area, but that didn't work. Can someone please help?

Quick Reply: Center wood panel with radio open close button