SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

door soundproofing and speaker change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 11:42 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought this and wired it in series to equal 16 ohms. Sounds great and fit perfectly into the stock mounting bracket. Had to adapt the connections a little bit in order to keep the stock power harness. Really easy though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160964913909...84.m1497.l2649
Old 05-29-13, 10:08 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Here are some pics of the new sub; wired in series and installed.

PS. I know one of the wires is cinched btn the sub and the firewall, I fixed it before tightening up the sub.
Attached Images   

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-29-13 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-30-13, 10:04 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not an electics wizard, so when you wired in series, how do you do that. I would think you would have to install two of them?
Old 05-30-13, 10:22 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
I am not an electics wizard, so when you wired in series, how do you do that. I would think you would have to install two of them?
Well this is a dual voice coil, so in theory it's like have two speakers in one. Each coil has a resistance of 8 ohms, so basically i put jumpers btn the two terminals to cause the impedance to be additive. Here's a good video that helped explain it for me. Do some research to make yourself comfortable and just for peace of mind. I used a ohm meter to make sure the connections were solid and that the wires weren't altering the resistance.
Old 05-30-13, 10:44 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Well this is a dual voice coil, so in theory it's like have two speakers in one. Each coil has a resistance of 8 ohms, so basically i put jumpers btn the two terminals to cause the impedance to be additive. Here's a good video that helped explain it for me. Do some research to make yourself comfortable and just for peace of mind. I used a ohm meter to make sure the connections were solid and that the wires weren't altering the resistance. How to wire subwoofers series, parallell, and series parallel wiring - YouTube
Another BIG factor is that you are properly wiring them so that the coils are in the same phase. If one is pushing while the other is pulling you loose significant punch.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 05-30-13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 11:10 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Another BIG factor is that you are properly wiring them so that the coils are in the same phase. If one is pushing while the other is pulling you loose significant punch.

JR
Good Point, JR. I didn't think about that. How would you check that? I just thought since + and - are universal, that both would be wired that way. So running the jumper btn + and - would put them in the same phase, right?
Old 05-30-13, 11:33 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Years ago when I was starting stereo wiring I was told that if you put a 1.5 volt dc battery and touched this to the wires of the voice coils you could see if they both moved in the same direction. This would allow you to see if they are in phase or not
Old 05-30-13, 12:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Used the MrBlister technique and a AAA battery to check the polarity and phase direction through the trunk while I still have the dressing panels off. Confirmed my wiring was done properly by testing both coils independently. Both moved in the same direction. SO the confirmed wiring on THIS sub is: positive of one terminal to the negative of another terminal at 180 degrees. And then both remaining open terminals to the stock wire harness. Red to Positive, Black to Negative. Mission accomplished. I attached a small photo with some editing to make it easier to understand for future installers.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-30-13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-30-13, 06:11 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Used the MrBlister technique and a AAA battery to check the polarity and phase direction through the trunk while I still have the dressing panels off. Confirmed my wiring was done properly by testing both coils independently. Both moved in the same direction. SO the confirmed wiring on THIS sub is: positive of one terminal to the negative of another terminal at 180 degrees. And then both remaining open terminals to the stock wire harness. Red to Positive, Black to Negative. Mission accomplished. I attached a small photo with some editing to make it easier to understand for future installers.
Shawn
Very well done wiring instructions. I would let you work on my car anytime your a real ace. Glad to have you on the forum. Us old guys need your kind of help.
Old 05-30-13, 06:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Shawn
Very well done wiring instructions. I would let you work on my car anytime your a real ace. Glad to have you on the forum. Us old guys need your kind of help.
Haha, I'm learning a lot from you pros! Everyone's past experiences and recommendations are crucial to my education. Now I just wish I had the income to put in all the awesome toys and upgrades I've seen around this forum! I'm balling on a budget!
Old 05-30-13, 09:32 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Haha, I'm learning a lot from you pros! Everyone's past experiences and recommendations are crucial to my education. Now I just wish I had the income to put in all the awesome toys and upgrades I've seen around this forum! I'm balling on a budget!
......I thought I was the only one doing that...lol !!!!
Old 06-18-13, 08:27 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Just got my speaker in the mail last week, so going to do this install. Will take some pics if anyone wants them.

I really cannot see that image very well; however your description should be good enough. Which wire of the factory is positive? Will I be able to tell on the old speaker?

Last edited by fj40ih8mud; 06-18-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 08:49 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, are you able to repost this file a bit bigger? Thanks.
Old 06-19-13, 10:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
Just got my speaker in the mail last week, so going to do this install. Will take some pics if anyone wants them.
Please do post the pictures. They are always helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-02-13, 06:46 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Default speakers installed

I ordered the sub on ebay that was recommended. Here are pics of the install
Attached Thumbnails door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7352.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7354.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7353.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7361.jpg   door soundproofing and speaker change-img_7359.jpg  

Quick Reply: door soundproofing and speaker change