SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Where have all the SC430s gone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 10:09 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Where have all the SC430s gone?

About 6 months ago cars.com had over 500 SC430s listed for sale in the country and more than 15 CPO cars.

Today there are 398 listings and only 10 CPO SC430s listed on cars.com.
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...rce=QUICK_FORM

The prices seem to have been holding, especially for Certified Cars.

Is the reduction in inventory and prices seasonal or are good ones just becoming more of a rarity?

What do you think?

JR
Old 04-12-13, 10:49 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FLYCT
As you can see, there are a lot of new owner on this forum. The car is nice to own. How can you go wrong.
Old 04-13-13, 07:36 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is snowing in a good part of the country now. I would not think now is a great time to sell.

I am new to the forum, and hope to see more folks join. However, I see a division here. There are those that think of this as a luxury car that is meant to be serviced at the dealer and left as the engineers had made it.

Others, like myself, find that this beauty is finally dropped in price such that we can get one, work on it and make it our car through customizing, improving, and finding pride in doing it ourselves.

Both of these groups have a place and a right to speak. My hope is that we can enjoy this forum together and support each others efforts through encouragement.
Old 04-13-13, 08:44 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same thing. I have just sold one 2003 SC430 (Red) and didn't even put it up for sale. I received a call and now that one is gone. Since then I purchased another 2003 SC430 (Red of course) (14Kmiles) and intend to keep it for awhile. My 02 SC will sooner or later be replaced by another SC most likely a 2008 -2010 (Matador Red of course) with low miles. I watch lean toward the red SCs obviously so I watch them both on Cars.com and Ebay amoung other places. I'm always looking...(-:
I too notice they are getting far and in between to find a nice one with low mileage and 1 owner. Each week that goes by there is less and less. Like you, prices seemed to be stable except really low mileage and those go pretty high in comparison.
I'll always have at least one (1) SC430 and maybe more if I can find another garage...(-: They are the best automobile on the road. Those that have them ...take care of them. Those that don't....want one....(:

My observation,

lar
Old 04-13-13, 08:56 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I've had my Black SC430 since 2002 and usually used it for summer weekends. It's only got 22,000 miles on it and it's still looks brand new. I plan to keep it for a very long time. I really consider it my "realistic" dream car. It's been garaged for about 4 years, so I've got a lot of things to update and wanna take a stab at after market mods (tint, spacers, intake, new wheels, ground kit, vais, navtool, luxlink, etc). I don't feel that I will ever sell this car. I plan to be buried in it. haha.
Old 04-15-13, 04:13 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Folks are buying more of them since many are now below $20,000, where can you find such a quality automobile for under 20k? It's a steal!
Old 05-06-13, 12:19 PM
watsonle
Driver School Candidate

I just spent 3 months looking for a clean Perl-white SC430 2008 or newer. Every morning I looked at new listings in cars.com, car gurus and the auto trader and finally found a good one in Nevada, I live in California.
Here is what I was up against. In one instance I found a the right car at a jeep dealer in orange county CA but before I could get there it was purchased by a Lexus dealer that three days later advertized it as a CPO vehicle at $10K over what the jeep dealer was asking. I tried for a couple of weeks to get the Lexus dealer to budge on the price but the lowest they would go was 7K over the original asking price.
A lot of 'prospects' showed as purchased at auction on the car fax and I wondered why or how could a car like this wind up at a auction? Kind of like finding a lab pup at a dog pound, shouldn't happen.
I steered clear of most Midwest northern states as they have such severe weather and once problems start in the undercarriage it's not something I want to deal with.
I think the issue is that people that love cars can now buy an incredible sports car -convertible for the price of a loaded new Hyundai and the smart ones are snapping them up and they are harder to find. Lexus dealers are also competing for the low mileage cars.
As to where they are at ? I also find it surprising that I never see another one on the road when I’m driving. In the past 3 months I have seen a Ferrari or two but zero SC430’s! Now this makes me feel that I really have something special!

Last edited by watsonle; 05-06-13 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 01:33 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by watsonle
I just spent 3 months looking for a clean Perl-white SC430 2008 or newer. Every morning I looked at new listings in cars.com, car gurus and the auto trader and finally found a good one in Nevada, I live in California.
Here is what I was up against. In one instance I found a the right car at a jeep dealer in orange county CA but before I could get there it was purchased by a Lexus dealer that three days later advertized it as a CPO vehicle at $10K over what the jeep dealer was asking. I tried for a couple of weeks to get the Lexus dealer to budge on the price but the lowest they would go was 7K over the original asking price.
A lot of 'prospects' showed as purchased at auction on the car fax and I wondered why or how could a car like this wind up at a auction? Kind of like finding a lab pup at a dog pound, shouldn't happen.
I steered clear of most Midwest northern states as they have such severe weather and once problems start in the undercarriage it's not something I want to deal with.
I think the issue is that people that love cars can now buy an incredible sports car -convertible for the price of a loaded new Hyundai and the smart ones are snapping them up and they are harder to find. Lexus dealers are also competing for the low mileage cars.
As to where they are at ? I also find it surprising that I never see another one on the road when I’m driving. In the past 3 months I have seen a Ferrari or two but zero SC430’s! Now this makes me feel that I really have something special!
Hang out in the south east like I do pretty often. Many SC430s in the Atlanta GA area. Much more so than in the northeast.
Old 05-06-13, 07:03 PM
HerveG
Driver School Candidate

Many in Naples, FL area! Seldom drive about town without seeing 1, 2 or more. In past couple of weeks, happen to have one aside me at light and, on another occasion, actually had same color as mine ahead of me. But, when back in PA - rarely see SC.
Old 05-06-13, 10:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by watsonle
...lol...I wish I could say I never see them, although I really love looking at them !!! In the DFW area there are a good number of them & we always give each other that smile of appreciation when we see each other. Mine is an 02' Silver/Black, which I think might be the most common color combination ...today on the way home, I almost got hit by another Sc (same color), trying to see mine
Old 05-08-13, 06:02 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does anyone else get a bit upset when they see another SC430 on the road? LOL

Here in the northeast USA they are not super common (nothing like in FL where it's always summer), but it kind of always bums me out a bit when I see one... unless they are modified, which seems to be extremely rare. I also see more of them on the weekends than the weekdays... I guess for a lot of people it's still a weekend-only car... but for me, it's my daily driver which does all the "heavy lifting"
Old 05-08-13, 07:24 PM
AlfredLee
Driver School Candidate

I have been looking for a month or two for a specific color combination. Most are in a different state.

For those of you who have done it, how did you accomplish buying a car a 1000 miles away? I am the type of person who really needs to see it before I buy it. That puts me into a position of contacting the seller, agreeing to a price, flying there, buying it (providing it is as advertised) then driving it all the way home. So now you have airfare on top of purchase price and the possibility of it not being in the condition as stated by the seller. What happens if you get all the way there and its not as described ?

Or, do you just buy without seeing it and have it shipped somehow?
Old 05-08-13, 07:56 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfredLee
I have been looking for a month or two for a specific color combination. Most are in a different state.

For those of you who have done it, how did you accomplish buying a car a 1000 miles away? I am the type of person who really needs to see it before I buy it. That puts me into a position of contacting the seller, agreeing to a price, flying there, buying it (providing it is as advertised) then driving it all the way home. So now you have airfare on top of purchase price and the possibility of it not being in the condition as stated by the seller. What happens if you get all the way there and its not as described ?

Or, do you just buy without seeing it and have it shipped somehow?

If buying from a dealer I review their ratings. Then I ask sales rep to do a walk around the vehicle and describe it to me with all the flaws.

If you are uncertain you could use an inspection service such as http://autoinspectionservices.net/

When I told one dealer that i waked away from a local CPO car due to paint condition they even suggested I use a service so I get an impartial report.

If the report is good have it shipped to you.

I bought both of mt SC430s long distance, unseen. They both were beautiful and problem free. One was still under the 4yr warranty and the other was purchased as a CPO.

I've seen some nasty CPO cars.

JR
Old 05-08-13, 08:45 PM
AlfredLee
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I didn't know inspection services like that existed.

This has already been disappointing in that I drove to a different town to see a 430 a dealer had that was advertised as having a 50 point inspection & cleanup etc. Pics looked good. When I got there, the car was a pig. It had not been detailed, needed paint work, the interior had a soft drink spilled in it and was all sticky. The interior wood did not match. It had nicks & door dings that the pictures in their advertisment did not show. I could not believe it and walked.

I did learn you cannot trust the pics as they might (or will intentionally) miss areas that need work. A

Anybody have a ballpark figure on what it costs to ship a car 500-800 miles? I have no idea.
Old 05-09-13, 03:40 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Overseas perhaps?
Just checked...there are over 500 for sale on Auto trader today.

Last edited by GregoryNP; 05-09-13 at 03:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Where have all the SC430s gone?