SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

timing belt, help please! need your advice and clarification.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 09:31 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing belt, help please! need your advice and clarification.

Hi. I searched first, and have read many different posts.

04, 35k miles. I want to do the timing belt, cause it seems to be what you guys all recommend. I will buy the parts most likely and have a great tech install it for me.

Dealer wants $700 for timing belt service. I admit, I do not know if that includes anything else besides the belt. I didn't know there was any other stuff involved til I read the forum. Should I do more than just the belt? I read there is a kit that includes "timing and serpentine belts, idler and tension pulleys, waterpump, thermostat, hydraulic tensioner".

Buy it from Sewell? What should I expect to pay? I checked out their site and don't see a specific parts department for me to "click and pay".

Sorry for the noob questions. I don't know how to wrench on cars at all.

Any and all help is really really appreciated. Thank you so much.
Old 02-10-13, 06:12 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At $700 I'm guessing it is basic service - no waterpump, etc.

You can get one of those 'full' parts kits on e-bay, for example, for 200 ish. Look for OEM
Old 02-10-13, 09:52 AM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get the parts from Sewell for $311. I have ordered stuff from them and they are quick to get the parts to you.
Old 02-10-13, 12:30 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tensi,
I would only use a technician that has worked in a Lexus shop for this type of work. I paid $700 at a local shop in NC and it included belt, water pump, pulleys etc. Guy was a master technician at Lexus and he does all of the work on our SC that I can't do.
Old 02-10-13, 03:15 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Tensi, @ 35K, I assume you have decided to replace the timing belt because you believe it will mitigate a belt failure due to age and not mileage. That's your call. You have time to get this done, take your time.

A Toyota tech or a Lexus tech can do the timing belt., this quote of $700 is for the labor only?

$700 to $750 is the estimate (most reasonable) and the upper limit would be $1,000 (all inclusive).

On fleabay, you can purchase a set of all you need for a Timing belt for the SC430, do a search. Take this list and ask Sewell how much it will cost. Or else Sewell recommends a package already for a timing belt job.

A friend of mine's SC430, he did the timing belt with a certified Lexus tech (on the side) for $750. Parts included.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-11-13, 01:30 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Are the ebay parts genuine Toyota / Lexus parts? I would hate to fit a fake water pump only to fail when you least expected.
Old 02-15-13, 11:34 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kjcole
At $700 I'm guessing it is basic service - no waterpump, etc.

You can get one of those 'full' parts kits on e-bay, for example, for 200 ish. Look for OEM
Originally Posted by Moondog
You can get the parts from Sewell for $311. I have ordered stuff from them and they are quick to get the parts to you.
I want to do the water pump as well?

What "kit" should I search for on Sewell? I tried, and came up empty. So lost.

Thanks so much.
Old 02-15-13, 11:35 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
Tensi,
I would only use a technician that has worked in a Lexus shop for this type of work. I paid $700 at a local shop in NC and it included belt, water pump, pulleys etc. Guy was a master technician at Lexus and he does all of the work on our SC that I can't do.
Hi tfeni. Thanks for the advice. The tech is a great guy, and a friend. He has done work on RXs before. I would go to a Lexus tech, if I knew of one.
Old 02-15-13, 11:39 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Tensi, @ 35K, I assume you have decided to replace the timing belt because you believe it will mitigate a belt failure due to age and not mileage. That's your call. You have time to get this done, take your time.

A Toyota tech or a Lexus tech can do the timing belt., this quote of $700 is for the labor only?

$700 to $750 is the estimate (most reasonable) and the upper limit would be $1,000 (all inclusive).

On fleabay, you can purchase a set of all you need for a Timing belt for the SC430, do a search. Take this list and ask Sewell how much it will cost. Or else Sewell recommends a package already for a timing belt job.

A friend of mine's SC430, he did the timing belt with a certified Lexus tech (on the side) for $750. Parts included.

Good luck to you.
Thanks Mandyfig! Yes, when I read all the posts about the timing belt, some here were saying that its something that should be done after extended time despite mileage just to avoid a "catastrophic" incident. You really think I have a year/s left?

The $700 quote was from a Lexus dealer. The advisor said "timing belt is due cause the age of the car. Not doing it could lead to thousands of dollars in repairs". When I asked if it was anything else, he didn't seem all that knowledgeable, and said it was just the timing belt... parts and labor.

I think I feel more comfortable with a Sewell package. They seem to have an amazing reputation here. I don't trust myself to get the proper parts off of ebay. What do you recommend? The entire kit, or just the belt?

Thanks soo soo much.