SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Member considering SC430

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 02:12 PM
KTMryder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member considering SC430

I'm in the process of looking around for a car for my wife. Our son has turned 16 and will be getting my wife's car soon. She has wanted a nice car for a while, her old car is a versa. While its OK... Not nice. My truck is paid for and has 120K on it. Just got done with a bunch of maintenance on it, so I will keeping it for a while. Don't want hefty payments or anything so I'm looking to buy used.

The 02 to 07 or so SC430's are around. Find them ranging from 60K to 150K mileage wise. Budget is not that strong so will likely be going clean higher mileage to save on cost. Will be her daily (we live 5 miles or so from her work) and we might take a few 800 mile weekend trips here and there in it. We don't live in an area that gets much snow so it likely won't see much if any of that. I work from home so I can take her there and back if need be.

Any maintenance things to look for mechanical wise or body wise? How are the top seals and motors if there are issues? I assume 90K for a timing belt and water pump change is the biggest thing most see... Much or other than that?

Just don't want to end up with a shop ****. We are also in the process of moving to a smaller town for her job. One that likely does not have a Lexus dealership (not checked). Are they received well at independent shops? If worse comes to worse I can rent a tow dolly and drive it two hours to the DFW Metroplex if its inoperable.

I have enough motors to maintain (we have 2 dirt bikes and a street bike as well as my truck). I'm fairly handy with tools and pretty do most of my own work on the bikes. My list of crap to do usually long so I don't really want a "needy" car. Can't afford a newer car of the caliber that she wants, so next best option is nicer, but older.
Old 03-10-15, 03:40 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

KTMryder, welcome to the forum.

The SC430 is one of the most reliable cars around. However, that being said, if you buy an old car, you are still going to wind up with some maintenance at some point. Fortunately, if you get a SC430 that has been maintained, there should be very minimal maintenance required other than regular service maintenance.

Be sure to ready the two stickie threads at the top of this forum page that fairly thoroughly discuss what to look for when buying an SC430 and issues. There are a few things to look out for when searching for a used SC430 and the threads spell them out for you.

Get a good one and you'll be very pleased for a long time. They are solid cars but not bullet proof and the electronics are a bit dated (which you can change, of course).

Happy hunting and let us know what you decide or if you come up with other questions later.
Harold
Old 03-10-15, 05:09 PM
KTMryder
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. The Versa gets 31 usually. Not bad. Drives nice. Everything about that car is in expensive. The tires are less than 400 per set! It will make a great first car.

Not to worried about mileage. Still gets better than my truck. I'd like better in that department and the infinity G37C or the IS250C is on the list as well (slightly better). She likes the SC430 better though. The Infinitys are a bit more spendy it seams and all the high mileage ones seem to have rough interiors. The IS250 is a bit smaller and also more, but I can find lower mileage for just a little more money than the SC. For family outings we will likely still take her old car. My truck is not a four door, but if the need comes up for a 4 door I will likely trade for a 4 door version ( I have extended cab that everyone can fit in, but its tight) or switch for a small SUV that gets around 25 MPG or so that I can pull a small open trailer for the dirt bikes and sleep in the back for the races.

Thanks for pointing out the sticky threads. I will check those out so that I can keep those things in mind when looking.
Old 03-11-15, 09:57 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KTMryder
Any maintenance things to look for mechanical wise or body wise? How are the top seals and motors if there are issues? I assume 90K for a timing belt and water pump change is the biggest thing most see... Much or other than that?
90K for the timing belt and water pump (which will run you probably $1,200+ at the dealership) and the 120K service (which is spark plugs and a few other things), which I recently had done, and ran me about $1,500.

The top, in general, is very reliable but, the problem is, when there *IS* a problem, most independent garages won't touch it, so it ends up being a dealer-only (read "expensive" problem to solve). $1,000 is is a "reasonable" repair for the top. But, there are members who had problems that cost them a few times more than that.

Not trying to scare you away. It's a great car (I have a 2003, with 120K+ miles on it, and still love it)...just warning you of what COULD happen.

The Lexus/Toyota reliability is not an unfounded reputation. But, because it's a Lexus, and it was, when new, a $60k+ car, the maintenance/repair costs are commensurate.

Originally Posted by mademedoit
You will struggle to get good gas mileage out of the Sc. I really miss the digital instant mpg I had in my Audi TT that I tradded. My Sc just says MPG 20.2 almost all of the time regardless of driving style and I don't know weather to leave it in power mode all the time or not. I think a Versa get like 35 MPG right?
mademedoit,

Have you reset the MPG meter? I reset mine every tank, and I see vast differences between a tank cruising around town, and a tank on a highway trip. If you've never reset it, it's averaging the fuel economy over the entire life of the car.

(press the Trip/Info button until it's showing the MPG, then press and HOLD the Trip/Info button and it'll reset)

I get 13-15 MPG is I do running-around-town driving (aggressive) but, like 25-26 on a highway-only tank.
Old 03-11-15, 10:31 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with all that has been said. I also see about 26 mpg highway only driving.
Old 03-11-15, 09:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I get 18.5mpg in town driving right now (previously 16mpg before cleaning my mass air flow sensor, cleaning my WeaponR filter, cleaning the valve body and housing, and a soft ECU reset). Last time I did a long highway run (OK/TX border to Chicago) I was actually up near the 32mpg mark. I was dumbfounded.

PS. I also get appox 306 miles on the Trip To Empty Calculator on the Climate Control after a full fill up.
Old 03-12-15, 12:58 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 303 Posts

i just got mine a few weeks ago and the following are some of the things that are a bit "bothersome" on my new 125k 2002 SC.

GPS doesnt work (says system disc inserted or something) from what ive read the DVD ECU unit that plays the DVD based navigation burns it's little motor out quite often. There is a 13 page thread about it on the forums

the passenger side interior dome light connection is bad (i fixed it by just using some padded foam against the bulb)

the rubber seals along trunk seem to be wearing out and the previous owner told me during huge rain storms it might leak into the trunk (ive seen where the water damage is on the carpet but today while driving in the rain it was fine). Anyways im trying to find the part numbers and maybe see if i can replace those rubber gaskets but temporarily i just used some automotive grease and WD40 to clean and protect the rubbers

other than that, not a damn thing wrong with this car (knock on wood). Get one, you wont be disappointed.
Old 03-12-15, 08:04 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe time for me to clean the mass air sensor!! (2002 with 143K miles). Shawn, what octane are you burning (and any alcohol? - in the tank that is)?

Last edited by kjcole; 03-12-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-12-15, 09:50 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
i just got mine a few weeks ago and the following are some of the things that are a bit "bothersome" on my new 125k 2002 SC.

GPS doesnt work (says system disc inserted or something) from what ive read the DVD ECU unit that plays the DVD based navigation burns it's little motor out quite often. There is a 13 page thread about it on the forums

the passenger side interior dome light connection is bad (i fixed it by just using some padded foam against the bulb)

the rubber seals along trunk seem to be wearing out and the previous owner told me during huge rain storms it might leak into the trunk (ive seen where the water damage is on the carpet but today while driving in the rain it was fine). Anyways im trying to find the part numbers and maybe see if i can replace those rubber gaskets but temporarily i just used some automotive grease and WD40 to clean and protect the rubbers

other than that, not a damn thing wrong with this car (knock on wood). Get one, you wont be disappointed.
...hey Bad another thing you might look for concerning the trunk leak.There are 2 drain tubes inside the trunk, on both sides, up near the rear window/trunk hinge. If you look in that area, you will see a small plastic pocket, with a hole in it,they are located on both sides of the trunk.Under this plastic piece, there is a tube connected to them that directs the water out of the car.If this tube isn't connected, the water can drip inside the trunk area.This was my issue & was an easy fix & could possibly be yours also....hope this helps
Old 03-13-15, 10:55 AM
makecopies
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not hesitate buying a V8 Toyota product - Landcruiser/SC430/Ls400/Ls430/GS400-430/LX470.
These cars are really reliable and tough. I sold my old LS with almost 300k miles on it and it still ran great and I had a bunch of people wanting to buy it.
You should buy the sc.... YOLO!
Old 03-15-15, 04:52 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Maybe time for me to clean the mass air sensor!! (2002 with 143K miles). Shawn, what octane are you burning (and any alcohol? - in the tank that is)?
I actually feel that cleaning the valve body made the difference. There was so much gunk in there. I couldn't believe it. I've always filled with 93 Octane since I purchased it in 2002 with 7 miles on the odo. Unfortunately, most of the fuel I use does have up to 10% ethanol. But, I'm pretty happy with my MPG's right now. I think I will continue to clean those same parts every other oil change.
Old 03-15-15, 09:48 PM
scnana
Driver School Candidate

I am a brand new 2003 sc430 0wner. My fifth Lexus mostly suv's including a 2015 rx350. We looked at other cars, Mustang, Mercedes small convertibles but felt the product either not built as well, or too expensive to maintain.
Always loved the SC430. Found one with 54k miles on it, the gold white, extra scoop, Lexus Link, TRD chrome rims, 18" sports rims (need a spare). Ecru interior. Drove it home yesterday an hour away. Went to 80 no problems. It's a beautiful running car and like all of our Lexus's before it has great body integrity. Love the lighter birdseye maple interior. The last navigation for this model is the 2013 navigation upgrade, which I'm getting this week. It's a beautiful car, draws lots of oohs and ahhhs. Hoping to keep it for many many years.
Old 03-16-15, 03:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the forum scnana and congratulations on your acquisition. Great timing on your purchase too, just in time for spring top-down driving! Enjoy!
Old 03-16-15, 04:06 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by scnana
I am a brand new 2003 sc430 0wner. My fifth Lexus mostly suv's including a 2015 rx350. We looked at other cars, Mustang, Mercedes small convertibles but felt the product either not built as well, or too expensive to maintain.
Always loved the SC430. Found one with 54k miles on it, the gold white, extra scoop, Lexus Link, TRD chrome rims, 18" sports rims (need a spare). Ecru interior. Drove it home yesterday an hour away. Went to 80 no problems. It's a beautiful running car and like all of our Lexus's before it has great body integrity. Love the lighter birdseye maple interior. The last navigation for this model is the 2013 navigation upgrade, which I'm getting this week. It's a beautiful car, draws lots of oohs and ahhhs. Hoping to keep it for many many years.
Welcome to the SC community!
Snap a few pics and share your beauty with us!
Old 04-22-15, 06:25 PM
scnana
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's my 2003 SC430

2003 SC430 55k miles, Ecru Interior, White Gold pearl exterior, Lighter Burlwood, TRD tires.

Quick Reply: New Member considering SC430