SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Just changed out Daytime running lights on my 07 PB

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 08:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Keep in mind when you replace the DRL with LED you will lose the high beam. I did on mine and I was fine with it.
Old 03-01-13, 11:52 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
Thanks SlvBullet. I really appreciate a quick response.

The DIY appears doable. However, is it possible to partially separate the bumper on each side and get the headlight assembly out to change the bulbs Seems like that's what the DIY shows in the top picture. I want to avoid the step of detaching the washer unit! Yes, I would want to change the fog lamps too....but can I change these by just separating the bumper on each side. I guess it will all depend on how much room before the washer unit has to be detached. Please help with this.

Regarding the DRL decoder, any clue why both popped right away? Do these decoders work with the high beam on. Mine went when I turned the high beam on for 10 secs or so. And, why did the LED still kept glowing? Are the decoders simply to keep the voltage constant?

Again any help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Hi Options2

Yes, you can just unbolt the front bumper each side at a time to remove the headlights one at a time. Remove the grill and the bolts and clips fixing the bumper around the grill area. Remove the screws under the front and disconnect the bumper in the wheel arch after removing the trim and folding back the liner. The clip that holds the bumper to the fender is a bit tricky to remove, bit difficult to discribe, but it will come away.
Pretty sure you will be able to get to the fog lights, but to be honest you only have the hose to the washers to remove so you can take the whole thing off. It's easy.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-01-13, 01:44 PM
mandyfig

Steve,

I have my LED replacement for the fogs but afraid to tear down the bumper, on what I will see...LOL. I have to do it one day.

But thanks for your encouragement.

Mandy
Old 03-01-13, 05:22 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Keep in mind when you replace the DRL with LED you will lose the high beam. I did on mine and I was fine with it.
Thanks mandyfig. Does this mean that one cannot turn the high beam on otherwise damage to decoder may occur or the high beam is not a "high beam" anymore? What is the max. time you have left your high beam on?

Appreciate your response.

Cheers.
Old 03-01-13, 05:46 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The high beams should work - the issue is that the LEDs only work with one voltage so they don't get any brighter when you turn on the high beams so you do have the high beam but not as bright as normal. I only use the highs to flash the lights ... I never drive where there is no oncoming traffic. I have't had a problem with the decoders but really haven't had the highs on for much time. You should write to Thura at iJDMToy and see what they say.

The difficulty I had with the fogs was trying to work the clip to get the bulb in and replaced. I had to see it ... I have read that the guys at Lexus can do it by feel but I couldn't do it so I dropped the bumper down to the floor and no problem. There are only the two hoses to take off and put back on pressing hard until it clicks into place.

Come on Mandy - you have done harder things than dropping the bumper. First time is slower becuase there are a couple of little tricks but you will see how easy is it.

Good luck
Old 03-01-13, 06:56 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Thanks Slvbullet: I am going to follow it up regarding the decoders. Perhaps, I should not give up and try the second time to make the DRL work.

Yes, I am going to lower the bumper as I want to change the HID (to match the color of other LEDs) as well as install the fogs. I already have the 6000k Phillips D4S bulbs. I tried changing the HID bulbs and it was extremely difficult to reach from behind even on my 06. Additionally, the parking bulb (168 type) was also difficult to change on the driver side. So I may have no choice but to tackle the bumper. Reading here, there are a couple of things that may make it difficult....first, the clip that attaches the bumper to the fender and second, the hose for the washer. You mention about pressing hard to insure that the hose is attached. Any thought on the clip? Is there a picture that will help locate where is this "clip".

Cheers.
Old 03-02-13, 11:19 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Steve,

I have my LED replacement for the fogs but afraid to tear down the bumper, on what I will see...LOL. I have to do it one day.

But thanks for your encouragement.

Mandy
Honestly Mandy, there is nothing to it, go for it.

BTW as I was changing my front parking/side lights to LED from the wheel arch, I didn't seat the holder properly and when I pulled it out to realign it the LED came detached from the holder and dropped inside the light!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tried everything to get it out again, but ended up taking the bumper off one side and removing the headlight.
Just a warning for others to be careful.

Best regards
Steve
Old 03-02-13, 03:18 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Slvbullet: I am going to follow it up regarding the decoders. Perhaps, I should not give up and try the second time to make the DRL work.

Yes, I am going to lower the bumper as I want to change the HID (to match the color of other LEDs) as well as install the fogs. I already have the 6000k Phillips D4S bulbs. I tried changing the HID bulbs and it was extremely difficult to reach from behind even on my 06. Additionally, the parking bulb (168 type) was also difficult to change on the driver side. So I may have no choice but to tackle the bumper. Reading here, there are a couple of things that may make it difficult....first, the clip that attaches the bumper to the fender and second, the hose for the washer. You mention about pressing hard to insure that the hose is attached. Any thought on the clip? Is there a picture that will help locate where is this "clip".

Cheers.
Re. The washer hoses - it is only an issue to get it back on tight ... You can feel it click - I was losing fluid all week until I check the hoses (was the right side).

Re. The clip. Once you take off the vertical bolt (ie. it is pointing up) that connects the bumper to the fender if I remember correctly you only have pull the bumper out a bit away from the fender to release it. You simply press it back in. The other clips are those plastic push pins around the top.

Good luck
Old 03-02-13, 11:05 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Re. The washer hoses - it is only an issue to get it back on tight ... You can feel it click - I was losing fluid all week until I check the hoses (was the right side).

Re. The clip. Once you take off the vertical bolt (ie. it is pointing up) that connects the bumper to the fender if I remember correctly you only have pull the bumper out a bit away from the fender to release it. You simply press it back in. The other clips are those plastic push pins around the top.

Good luck
Thanks for your help. I think I am ready to tackle this now.

Cheers.
Old 03-03-13, 02:41 PM
mandyfig

Thanks mandyfig. Does this mean that one cannot turn the high beam on otherwise damage to decoder may occur or the high beam is not a "high beam" anymore? What is the max. time you have left your high beam on?

Appreciate your response.

Cheers.
When you hit high beam, it will not do anything. The LED is maxed out on the output. Will not hurt anything.
Old 03-04-13, 09:47 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for your help. I think I am ready to tackle this now.

Cheers.
...let me know how it goes guys. I'm like alot of us around here. I've done a ton of things to this car & others, which were probably alot harder. But just hadn't had the nerves to drop the bumper yet...lol
Old 03-05-13, 09:00 AM
mandyfig

I have to break the "bumper barrier." I have fog LED's which are collecting dust and I need to get off my behind and take this on.
Old 03-23-13, 07:28 AM
shintaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put DRL decoder in a fog light.
I replaced a fog light with a highlight by wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Just changed out Daytime running lights on my 07 PB-img_2957.jpg   Just changed out Daytime running lights on my 07 PB-img_2958.jpg  
Old 03-23-13, 03:40 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by shintaro
I put DRL decoder in a fog light.
I replaced a fog light with a highlight by wiring.
...so did you move the drl bulb/harness ,that originally goes to the headlight housing, down to the foglight housing ???
Old 03-23-13, 05:34 PM
shintaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the wiring of the highlight with fog light wiring.
The switch of the steering is changed.

A Daylight turns on in a regular fog light.

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...so did you move the drl bulb/harness ,that originally goes to the headlight housing, down to the foglight housing ???
The following users liked this post:
sideswipe (09-05-17)

Quick Reply: Just changed out Daytime running lights on my 07 PB