SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top Gear: Worst Car In the World

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 07:35 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeskool
But lexus isn't a performance car company, it's a luxury car company. So to ask the sc to behave in any way like a Driver's car may seem like a bit much. But then again paying $70M for one is asking way too much.
So you agree, as is evidenced above, we are owners of a luxury touring convertible. I could give a rat's butt about 0-60 or how many horsepower is delivered to the ground. Mine was purchased as a lux vehicle, not a performance ride, as I am sure so many others here were.

These forums are for folks who celebrate their choice, learn from more experienced owners and enjoy the camaraderie. SC bashing on this kind of forum is like crashing a party and telling the host how ugly his wife is. Poor taste and of little use, other than entertaining yourself and being a forum troll. It's sad really that one would waste his time when clearly he is just trying to be controversial, unsuccessfully.

Enjoy your Pontiac as we enjoy our Lexus.

BTW, it's $70K not $70M. (Mine was only $65K new in '07)

Old 08-03-13, 08:19 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amen to all 430sc owners and well stated. this is my baby.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-03-13 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 09:51 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Dunno why we would even begin to compare a brand like Lexus that has taken back quite a bit of market share in the last year or so ( after the tsunami problems a couple of years ago ) with a brand like Pontiac which was abandoned by its parent quite some time ago and did not even prove its resilience by surviving the last financial crisis.

Hasn't the US market spoken loud and clear about these two names ? It was a tough test, one survived, the other did not.
Old 08-03-13, 12:01 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly that backfired, he failed completely and I hope he learned his lesson.
Do you honestly think your pedantic ranting has changed anyone’s mind? You trotted out a rattle prone G8 that goes fast in a straight line. WOW we are impressed. Learned my lesson? Hardly. In your self-important dreams!

"Lacquered woods"? Is that what you're after? If so then this line of inquiries and not-so-subtle insulting is easy to understand. BMW has used "plastic" dashes for years quite successfully. Sounds like we are a little sensitive are we? Possibly a little class envy? The lacquered woods was an attempt to point out a fit and finish feature of the SC430. Yes BMW uses plastic on their dashes, but the quality of the material is sooo much better than the Pontiac trash.

You do realize the N63 is a twin-turbo motor and the LS3 is naturally aspirated, right? This instantly disqualifies your comparison.
You are indeed a Troll! I was obviously comparing 2009 G8 to 2009 550i. The 2009 550i held the N62B48 engine at 4.8L, normally aspirated. CAN”T YOU KEEP UP WITH THE PROGRAM? And by my excellent math calculation regarding horsepower, you should have been able to figure that out. Don’t you understand applied math?

Please don’t lecture me on handling and track work. The G8 handles very well,
You obviously need to be schooled. The G8 handles like a piece of crap.

I see cars, each one different, each built for a different person and for a different purpose.
Why do you keep reiterating our point, and then go on to bloviate about the “power to the wheels” of the rattle trap G8? Are you bipolar?

The point of my post, and my challenge to you was to try and point out that each car has its own merits, features and positive points, as well as to let you know how it feels when someone criticizes (and not in a positive manner) your choice. You have obviously entered into a world where SC430 owners enjoy their rides.

At the end of my last post I also attempted to be conciliatory to your choice of car, in an attempt to soften your block-headed resolve to knock someone else’s choice. But no, you continue to be a pain in the *** who must attempt to “prove” (only in your own mind), that you are right and everyone else knows nothing. We are learning nothing from you we don’t already know.

The readers of this blog will continue to enjoy their rides and likely skip over your posts as a waste of time. TIME FOR TROLL SPRAY
Old 08-03-13, 12:22 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have magic troll beads. Put them on and you disapear
Old 08-03-13, 04:02 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Guys just end all replies to this post. THE END.
Old 08-03-13, 04:28 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Done!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-13, 05:04 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I owned my SC I was very happy with the car. It was my first convertible, And for $23,000 it was great as a status car in 2007 when I bought it. I also held the belief that Lexus Was a value. At the same time I owned an LS 430 Which was considered to be a budget S class. I didn't understand how Top Gear rated the car so low. Now I think I understand. In 2002 when the car came out it probably was a decent value. The only real competitor for Lexus was the Mercedes, and BMW. To compare it to a G8 Is kind of ridiculous since the cars did not exist at the same time. The car that followed the SC in the senior years of it's life Show that the car was not such a great value In today's market. When Lexus built the SC they had a blank slate. The car should've had the performance of a new and improved TwinTurbo supra. It should've out handled and out performed the BMW. The backseats should've been large enough to accommodate people. Toyota had the ability and expertise to build such a car. Not doing so is Why top gear slammed them. I always enjoy driving with the top down or cruising at high speeds But the car was never fun to drive. The G8, BMW, And many more inexpensive cars of today are much more fun to drive. My current convertible the Volvo Can manage a trip to Cosco full of groceries and still come home with the top down. With The spare tire in place I could not fit a briefcase in my Lexus. The Volvo has a button to lift the roof halfway up so you can still make use of the trunk, Genius. The backseats can accommodate someone as tall as 5'10 Comfortably. The seats, stereo, Handling, MPG, comfort, and utility Are all drastically better. the Volvo at 45K new in 2013 and a 2012 for 22k is a much better deal. . My Genesis with 429 HP Coming in new at less than half the price of an LS has impressed me tremendously. True these cars were unavailable at the time I bought my Lexus But in retrospect Top Gear makes a good point with these cars. Adding fuel to the flames I'm one of the Many That lost their shirt with a blown engine, Filing a warranty claim with a company that Does not honor a factory warranty. It is a shame Lexes could be much better.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 08-05-13 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 07:13 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Kaiser
how you changed your tune about the 430sc you did own at one time. you didn't talk that way when you owned it. you talked all about the good things. I read many thing that you posted. I know very few people that blown a engine in their 430sc and were warr. and no problem. the 430sc engine dose not blow for nothing. for lexus to not warr. its may had something to do with what you may have did. we can only go by what you told us. I never had a problem with the engine. that's all I will say. the back seat is for insurance reasons only

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-05-13 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 03:27 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-05-13, 05:25 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeskool
Haha, nice. First time I've gotten an "eye roll" from someone who puts his extended warranty under his mods list in his signature. What's next, Rain-X wiper blades? LED cigarette lighter flashlight? Priceless. What an auto enthusiast.

Sucks to have one of your own (Kaiser) turn once he saw the light huh? What's even better is seeing bacardi on his knees begging him to take it all back, "Please, say it ain't so! Out-of-warranty busted engine? DEFINITELY not Toyota's fault!!!". Completely delusional.

Enjoy your infamous distinction:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-7_2413562.htm

Troll Spray, Ban Hammer, whatever. Have fun. I'm out of here.
Wow, you definitely have way to much time on your hands! I don't see that kaiser turned on anyone given his Lexus circumstance. If you compare CL with other forums, I think there's an above-average amount of bragging vs complaining. Aside from that fact, anyone who loves their vehicle as most of us do, more power to them. What we all have in common is being car guys & gals. If you love your Pontiac so much- more power to you-now go enjoy it. Maybe you can find a psychologist who specializes in transportation envy. Sounds like some kind of psychosis to me.
Old 08-05-13, 07:04 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

let me tell you something. I didn't blow my engine and my dealer would have cover it under the warr. what ever he did they would not cover it. with all the work I did on my car has nothing to do with the engine. if I changed thing in or on the engine no warr. that just the way it go's. the engine must stay stock meaning no headers, exh. intake, ect, stock. Kaiser must have had things on the engine and the dealer said HOTROD no warr..now he has Volvo and if the same thing happen no warr. also. when you take a car to the dealer the must look stock.
Kaiser blow the engine and now the car is no good what a case to stand on. to me its called bad luck it happened you like when you had it. for the money you spent for the Volvo I would have an engine for 4000k installed and you have been a happy camper again. when they didn't warr. the car it became a bad car.
I say it like it is and if you don't like to bad. the only one on his knees is you with all your bull-****** you talk. now i'm done with you.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-05-13 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 07:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Enough folks.