SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 SC430 Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 11:08 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
sorka, are you sure that it isn't just that the battery has gone bad?
It's possible, but it was just replaced 6 months ago when I bought the car.

I've already checked the alternator. Plus that's not even a factor as I fully charged the batter last night on a charger to only have it be dead again without starting the car or having anything on.
Old 05-17-13, 11:10 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sorka
It's possible, but it was just replaced 6 months ago when I bought the car.

I've already checked the alternator. Plus that's not even a factor as I fully charged the batter last night on a charger to only have it be dead again without starting the car or having anything on.
Duh. I have a load tester. Let me go check CCAs.
Old 05-17-13, 11:14 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Pulls 808 CCAs, so battery is quite good.

At this point, the only answer is something came alive in the car and drained the battery really fast.
Old 05-17-13, 11:24 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

The other possibility is that something in the vehicle got into a weird state and stayed on drawing current and it didn't stop until I disconnected the battery to do the parasitic current test.
Old 08-09-13, 09:16 PM
gentouru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue. I wonder if it has something to do with my grom audio or auto start. I am taking my car to lexus for battery checkup
Old 10-06-13, 09:13 AM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery replacement on SC430

After searching online and reading how stores throw away plastic battery sleeve because it doesn't fit their replacement battery for SC430, I have disconnected, took out and measured my Lexus battery. The size was totally different from the MAXX H6 and the other aftermarket ones. No wonder that the factory plastic protective sleeve doesn't fit and is thrown away.

However, I noticed the 84 month warranty written on the side. My battery was just over 5 years judging by the round sticker on top showing month and year of installation. The local Lexus dealership gave 25% discount (I believe it's 100% free replacement for 24 months, then 50%off for another 2 years, then 25% off after that till 84 months from the date on the sticker). Before tax it came to $101, which was less than the 120-140 the aftermarket stores charge for either size 48 or size H6. They also charged $3 for old battery disposal fee. I also saved about $40 in labor by only buying the part and replacing the battery myself.

Talked with my colleagues about this and was told a story of someone paying $850 for BMW battery replacement which was 500 for the part and 350 for resetting all codes in the car. Kind of puts German car ownership in perspective. Not that I can't afford $850, but seems a bit wasteful.
Old 10-06-13, 11:36 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmakogon
After searching online and reading how stores throw away plastic battery sleeve because it doesn't fit their replacement battery for SC430, I have disconnected, took out and measured my Lexus battery. The size was totally different from the MAXX H6 and the other aftermarket ones. No wonder that the factory plastic protective sleeve doesn't fit and is thrown away.

However, I noticed the 84 month warranty written on the side. My battery was just over 5 years judging by the round sticker on top showing month and year of installation. The local Lexus dealership gave 25% discount (I believe it's 100% free replacement for 24 months, then 50%off for another 2 years, then 25% off after that till 84 months from the date on the sticker). Before tax it came to $101, which was less than the 120-140 the aftermarket stores charge for either size 48 or size H6. They also charged $3 for old battery disposal fee. I also saved about $40 in labor by only buying the part and replacing the battery myself.

Talked with my colleagues about this and was told a story of someone paying $850 for BMW battery replacement which was 500 for the part and 350 for resetting all codes in the car. Kind of puts German car ownership in perspective. Not that I can't afford $850, but seems a bit wasteful.
Yes, because my other car is a BMW 5-series, unfortunately I can confirm that $850 for a BMW battery replacement is not unheard of, although that is on the high side and certainly reserved for those with "sucker" embossed on their forehead, and sold by dealers who are regularly referred to as "$tealers".

The minimum most BMW dealers will try to charge is around $450, with most falling in the $550 range for a battery and registration.

The BMW has a microprocessor on the negative battery cable which monitors voltage, charge and discharge current and temperature. The main engine computer holds the date the battery was installed and type of battery (flooded lead acid or absorbed glass mat) and the battery specs (cold cranking amps and reserve capacity). This information in the computer is updated when a new battery is installed, and hooking the car up to a computer to reprogram it is a substantial part of the battery replacement charge.

The main engine computer gets constant updates from the battery microprocessor and can signal the alternator to vary its voltage output depending upon conditions. The main engine computer can also selectively shed load if system voltage drops to prevent over current in the system.

Is the BMW battery anything special? No, there are only 5 or 6 major battery manufacturers that make the hundreds of private label batteries across most of the world. If you do research you can find a place where the exact same battery is sold without the BMW label for $140 to $150, and there are a good number of batteries available with equivalent specs that will work fine.

Does this complicated system make the battery last longer? Maybe a little longer.
Is it worth all of the BS and extra expense? NO

The dirty little secret is that if you buy a battery exactly compatible with the BMW battery you replace, the only thing that needs to be updated in the computer is the date of the new battery installation. And many BMW owners who have replaced the battery and not updated the computer can attest that it doesn't seem to make that much difference, if any, in battery life.

But the Germans love to complicate things. I just wish the reliability was even close to the Lexus. Everything either leaks or breaks on the BMW whereas the Lexus is pretty much bullet-proof.

But for me there is only one final little detail .......... IMHO no other sedan drives like a 5-series V8. It is a pure monster.